Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
go to gotennis.com... they've got a good article about her match

but she may not go to wimbledon if she plays the way she did today!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6506120-23210,00.html

... But the Yugoslav-born Seles, who has collected nine Grand Slams and 53 WTA titles in her 14-year career, ruled out making a rash decision on her future.

"This is not the way I would like to leave. I do think if I'm healthy I can play good tennis and I won't give up. I'm hard-headed but I understand that I just have to give it time.

"I wasn't coming here with too many expectations – obviously my wish to play is not matching my performance and I just have to accept that,"
said Seles, who has failed to win this season despite having finals in Tokyo and Dubai.

The American added that she would now take 10 days rest and decide whether she would compete at Wimbledon next month. "I'd definitely like to play but if I'm at the level I'm at today you definitely won't see me," she added.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
"this is not the way I would like to leave," she said. "I do think if I'm healthy I can play good tennis and I won't give up

"I'm hard-headed but I understand that I just have to give it time." At last she sees the light!!!!!!

"If I'm at the level I was here you definitely won't see my at Wimbledon."

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
dang! Somebody beat me to it but... I feel better with what she said. We all want her to just take the time to heal and feel right and then try to come back and see how far she can get. Isn't that much better than playing now injured and losing all the time? And the Seles aura going completely? I mean... Some of her biggest fans are already saying she maybe gave up today!

Maybe she'll lose when/if she comes back but at least she would have tried to heal and there will be no more "what if's?" There have been too many of those in her career without adding to them at this late time.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Here is the whole interview. I also posted this in the Seles forum section but couldn't help posting it again. It gives us Seles fans something to hold on to for the future.

Injured and Beaten Seles Refuses to Give Up

Tue May 27, 2003 03:26 PM ET

PARIS (Reuters) - Monica Seles, suffering from nagging foot problems, was beaten, 6-4, 6-0, by Russian Nadia Petrova for her first loss in the first round of any grand slam at the French Open on Tuesday.
The American, seeded 12th, had never been beaten before the quarter-finals in 10 previous appearances in a tournament she won three times between 1990 and 1992.

Seles, 29, has been hampered by foot injuries for several seasons and was forced out of several tournaments this year, the last time in Rome earlier in May.

"Today my wish to play and my performance did not match," she said.

"Like I said in Rome, I wanted to play in the French Open and once I had decided to play, I gave it my best shot."

Her previous worst showing in a grand slam came in second-round defeats at Wimbledon in 1996 and the Australian Open earlier this year.

But despite the defeat and her injury worries, she believes she can still compete at the top level.

"Last year I had a very good year and when I'm healthy, I know I can play well, have good results and still have real pleasure out there," she said.

"This year has not been a good year. I just have to give it a break and reassess what I'm going to do."

Seles said she was now going to take some time off and see how her foot condition improved before making a decision about the future, but said she would skip Wimbledon if the pain did not ease.

"I'm in the later stages of my career and I don't have the luxury of taking five or six months off," she added.

"I'm hard-headed but I must see how my foot will respond. It's not the way I would like to leave.

"I won't give up but I also must listen to my body."

Asked whether she might retire because of the injury, she did not completely rule out the possibility.

"It's one of the options if I'm in pain, but I won't give up," she said.

----------------------------------------
I like what she said though about she wont give up just yet - this is not the way she wants to go out.
"Last year I had a very good year and when I'm healthy, I know I can play well, have good results and still have real pleasure out there."
There is still alot of hope that this is not the last of Seles.

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great to hear! I was seriously worried i would be seeing articles on retirement tomorrow morning! Monica keeps fighting!!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Tennisfan** said:
Great to hear! I was seriously worried i would be seeing articles on retirement tomorrow morning! Monica keeps fighting!!
You will see articles about her retiring. They will twist her words. They always do. They will probably say:

Seles, who has been plagued by injury, said after the match "I'm in the later stages of my career and I don't have the luxury of taking five or six months off". When pressed on whether this meant the nine times Grand Slam champion was considering retiring she said, "It's one of the options if I'm in pain."

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Thanks for the quotes and interview :wavey:
It's wonderful to hear Monica will be back :bounce:
:hearts: Go Groundstroke Diva :hearts:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
R&J said:
I don't have the luxury of taking five or six months off," she added.
I guess this is the real dilemma: if she takes a break, it will be very difficult to come back. So I guess she'd rather play now, knowing she doesn't have much time left, but the injury (and the other things, probably) is stopping her playing her best. What to do?

Thanks for posting the article, specially after I tried to register at gotennis, but the name was already taken...which of you buggers stole Willow, hhmm...?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
problem for Monica Isuppose its a really tough decision for her what to do and If she misses Wimbledon she'll lose at lot more points too

·
Registered
686 Posts
jenny161185 said:
problem for Monica Isuppose its a really tough decision for her what to do and If she misses Wimbledon she'll lose at lot more points too
I don't think Monica really cares that much about points and rankings - I think she just wants to play well and do well.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Nice article, thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seles, by contrast, has played 40, winning nine. And she never exited in the first round until Tuesday's 6-4, 6-0 disappointment against Nadia Petrova.

Seles, 29, plans to take some time off to see if her injured feet heal. If they don't, she might retire.

``I know I'm in the later stages of my career. I don't have the luxury of taking five-to-six months off. At the same time, I don't want to have surgery,'' the tournament's 12th-seeded woman said.

Could this be her last French Open? ``If I can't practice the level that I want to, yeah, definitely. And if I can, then for sure not,'' she said, ``because this is not the way I would like to leave.''

·
Registered
348 Posts
TR.NET: End of the line for Seles
BY MATTHEW CRONIN
May. 27, 2003 5:49 p.m.
PARIS—
Monica Seles has won nine Grand Slams and is perhaps the most beloved player on tour today.
Everywhere she goes, fans sing her praises, perhaps because she has been through so much emotional trauma in her 29 years of life or maybe because she’s such an incredible fighter on court.

But it’s becoming very painful to watch this legendary talent and on Tuesday at Roland Garros, she played one of her worst matches ever when she was blasted off the court 6-4, 6-0 by young Russian Nadia Petrova. The former three-time champion had little stick on the ball, could barely move side to side and displayed no fire.

That’s because she knew coming into the tournament that her chronically bad feet wouldn’t allow her to play at a top level and she was only competing on a hope and a prayer.

The 29-year-old Seles has suffered one stress fracture or another in her feet the past six years. In her prior 10 appearances in Paris, she had never lost before the quarterfinals. Tuesday was the first time that she ever lost in the first round of a Slam.

After the match, Seles said that if her chronically bad feet don’t heal, she may retire.

"Yeah, it's one of the options for sure," she said. "If I’m in pain, I’m not going to be playing. Bit I’m a positive person. I try not to give up. I’ve faced worse stuff. This has been a difficult time off the court the past few weeks (one of her close friends, IMG owner Mark McCormack, recently passed away). I don’t know how my body will react to rest. And if it doesn’t react well, then I have to stop."

This is the first time that Seles has gone that far discussing retirement. She hates when it’s brought up and in the past few years has always denied that she was considering it.

She had a decent year in 2002 and it was easier to believe that she still had the goods to compete with the slew of 20-somethings who have no problem standing toe-to-toe with her. But her refusal to undergo surgery — she says she doesn’t believe in it — means that all she can do is wait and hope that her feet heal, even though that hasn’t worked in a long time. For Monica to be at her best, she needs a lot of practice and when she has to rest every couple months or so, it’s impossible for her to get her elite level back.

"Thank God I had a really good year last year," she said. "This year’s been a struggle. I think I do have to give it a break and reassess what I want to do after my foot responds to it. Because this way, it’s too aggravating for me to practice and play with pain and my results have not been something that I’m happy about the past few months."

Seles, who won the French in 1990, '91 and '92, suffered perhaps her worst defeat here. She never looked comfortable on court, as the 20-year-old Petrova frequently wrong-footed her, brutalized her second serves and simply out-muscled her in inside-the-baseline rallies.

Seles committed 48 unforced errors to only 25 from her foe, including 12 double faults. The former No. 1 was broken six times by Petrova, who also defeated her in Rome two weeks ago when Seles retired with a foot injury down 6-3, 4-1.

"It was just one of those days when I couldn’t put too many balls in after 4-4," Seles said. "My serve really let me down. But at the same time, I’m a player who needs to practice to have confidence. I knew coming in, I didn’t have it. I was debating playing, but once I decided to, I gave it my best shot."

Seles won eight of her nine Slam titles before her April 1993 attack at the hands of a deranged German fan. She literally dominated the sport in the early '90s and just before her stabbing, her greatest rival, Steffi Graf, said that Monica was simply better than her at that point.

When she finally came back to the tour in 1995, she had lost a little speed and Graf had clearly improved. Seles did manage to win the ’96 Australian Open and has been a factor in many Slams since then, but she was eventually lapped by Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport and the Williams sisters.

In the past couple of years, she’s played all of the top kids tough, which is why she still believes she has another Slam in her. But all the top players — Serena, Venus, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne — can move like the wind and if Seles' feet are stuck in the red clay or on green cement, there’s no way she’ll ever rise to the top again.

That’s why she’s needs to skip Wimbledon, take as much time off as possible and hope that her feet heal well enough to give herself one more shot of glory at the U.S. Open and then hang it up.

Because even her most devoted fans must have had a hard time watching the sad Seles who fell so easily on Tuesday and don’t want to see it again. They are better off with the memories of the giggly girl who once raised the trophy in Paris as if it were a monogrammed champagne glass she kept hidden in her room for special occasions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts