Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monica Seles has ruled out making a comeback before next January's Australian Open as she is still recovering from a stress fracture in her left foot.

Attending the U.S. Open for a sponsor event Thursday, Seles said she is still unable to run and practice and that her foot needs another two-and-a-half months to heal.

"Playing the Australian Open is my goal but if that doesn't work out, I'll probably return in Miami (in-mid March)," the 29-year-old Seles told *******************.

The nine-time grand slam champion, who has been out of action since losing in the first round of the French Open in May, added she was not planning to retire.

"I don't want to go out this way," she said.

But Seles was kicking herself for missing a chance to compete in this year's U.S. Open, which is without the injured Williams sisters for the first time since 1996.

"Have you seen this draw?" said Seles. "There's not going to be another one like this for at least another five years."

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
LOL @ Monica.

That's great she wants to attempt a comeback.

I really hope she can come back at the Australian, she always plays so well there, but she should take enough time to heal and get herself into good shape.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
well she said she didn't want to have surgery and now she is out that long anyway, that pretty much sucks for her

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
irma said:
well she said she didn't want to have surgery and now she is out that long anyway, that pretty much sucks for her
Surgery is not a 100% guarantee anyway, so I think she's making the correct decision. In fact, as I have stated numerous times, if the surgery didn't go as planned, it would jeopardize the rest of her future and possibly create lifelong foot ailments.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Great to hear from her- and she sounds eager with that statement about the draw! Cheers to a speedy and complete recovery, oh great veteran of the WTA! :worship:

·
Registered
34,672 Posts
MONICA :bounce: i knew she wouldnt go out like this but to hear it from her is such a releif...i cant wait til she comes back GO MONICA!!! :bounce:

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,143 Posts
:D

Monica will be back next year :bounce:

So true about the draw :lol: I'm getting used to Monica's luck, but it's so frustrating!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
see still would have been drawn against clijsters or henin in the 3rd round in all likelyhood if she did play. she has no luck.

i really hope she plays the aus open (FIT) because she adds so much to the tournament. when i think about it the 2001 Open was a great chance for her to win a slam because if she really could have finished martina in 2 and then capriati was off. oh well, hopefully she will get another chance.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Nikola said:
Monica Seles has ruled out making a comeback before next January's Australian Open as she is still recovering from a stress fracture in her left foot.

Attending the U.S. Open for a sponsor event Thursday, Seles said she is still unable to run and practice and that her foot needs another two-and-a-half months to heal.

"Playing the Australian Open is my goal but if that doesn't work out, I'll probably return in Miami (in-mid March)," the 29-year-old Seles told *******************.

The nine-time grand slam champion, who has been out of action since losing in the first round of the French Open in May, added she was not planning to retire.

"I don't want to go out this way," she said.

But Seles was kicking herself for missing a chance to compete in this year's U.S. Open, which is without the injured Williams sisters for the first time since 1996.

"Have you seen this draw?" said Seles. "There's not going to be another one like this for at least another five years."
Go head Miss Monica givin props to the sista's! :worship:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Experimentee said:
I hope she comes back for the Australian Open next year! :)
:bounce:Me too!!! I have missed her so much - cant wait to see her back on the courts again!!!!:bounce:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I really hope she plays at the AO.
i also hope she has the special rankings for the injured player. I don't remember how to call it. It'll be indeed a shame if she had to play a top-5 player in the 1st round.

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Monica- "I don't want to go out this way"
I don't think they got the full quote right. She said, "I don't want to go this way; let's make a left turn and go to my favourite McDonalds restaurant."

·
Banned
596 Posts
Nikola said:
is this the real Monica? :confused:
or is this the evil Monica i havent seen:)

if she comes back then, her ranking is gonna be ugly,
but she'll get unlimited WC's anyways,
the problem is if she will be able to get a special seeding,
and if she does, will she be able to live up to that,
the answer is probably no, i'm hoping not to see
her retirement resembles ASX's one:(
so good luck MONICA:D

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Great hearing that from Monica, take your time! We cant wait to see you back :bounce:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts