Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has the reputation as one of the fiercest fighters on the tour. For 14 years, she has fought for every point no matter what the score.

Steffi Graf once said, "She has a presence that intimidates you. You feel that toughness in her, that focus, more than in any other person."

Someone else once said, "Once she has a lead, she just gets you in a death grip and doesn't let you out."

Monica never withdrew from her match against Martina Hingis in Miami in 2000, even though she had every reason to. She played to the bitter end to endure her only double-bagel loss ever, and suffered the boos of the crowd to boot, even though those idiots could see perfectly well that she was playing on an injured ankle and was staying out there for them! Because she cared.

When she was down 2-6 in the 1st-set tiebreak in the 1990 French Open Final, she rattled off four straight points and eventually won the match in straight sets. Later she said, "I just thought to myself that if Steffi could win four straight points, then so could I."

In short, you could bank on death, taxes, the sun rising in the east and Monica Seles never letting go of any match, fighting for every point as if it was the most precious thing in the world, even if she had a mountain to climb.

But during her match today, for the first time I have ever known, she didn't have the energy. It was more shocking and more sad to me than any injury she might have suffered. I didn't see any limping, I didn't see any pain on her face, I didn't see any problems at all with her fitness or endurance. I just saw a woman who seemed not to have the drive within her any more.

The fact that she was laughing at herself and was still smiling when the match was over is one reason why I think Monica Seles is one of the best damned athletes on the planet, and one of the most beautiful women ever to grace the tour.

And I don't think she's going to be there for much longer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A wonderful post, thank you. I am sad to say however that i agree with you, if Monica does not retire for good after this match i doubt it really will be long untill she does. I have always ignored the people who have called for her to retire but now i feel the time is upon us and i know that for me tennis will never be the same again.

·
Banned
149 Posts
Poor poor poor Monica :sad:she may retire soon and all her fans will miss her,but she may not cuz it could be that she still enjoys travelling and playing when she not injured,and without the tour she wouldnt really have a life to go home to,she would miss the other players too much :confused: and thats why she keeps going,although its sad when shes been so good but now shes so not so good

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Spirit, Monica is suffering a lot over the loss of her close friend right now. As I posted in TeeRexx's and apoet's threads, Pam Shriver said Monica is devastated over this loss. She is not herself right now, nor would I be, in her place. :sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, Janie. I suspect that's how she can laugh after a GS loss -- she knows better than anyone that it's just a game.

But Mark's death could be yet one more thing which takes away her desire to compete.

My point is that even if it's momentary, it's still never happened before. That is very telling, regardless of the causes.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
janie said:
Spirit, Monica is suffering a lot over the loss of her close friend right now. As I posted in TeeRexx's and apoet's threads, Pam Shriver said Monica is devastated over this loss. She is not herself right now, nor would I be, in her place. :sad: :sad: :sad:
yes but nadia pretrova is having the best day of her life!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I saw the same things you did, Spirit. But, as you say, it was comforting to see Monica smiling at the end of the match and signing autographs. It's her life. I just wish her the best. I am just thankful for all the great tennis moments she offered me and I hope she'll still offer me many more in the future.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Beautiful post Spirit. That is a very moving tribute to a great athlete and the kind of post I wish we saw on this board more often.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
can I ask who Mark is?

I wish Monica all the best...... there's more to life than tennis.. but it's so sad to see her like this...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark McCormack, CEO of IMG, husband of Betsy Nagelsen, very good friend of Monica. Mark played a key role in helping Monica come back to tennis after the stabbing. He died just over a week ago.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I like that Diva...good view.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Here we go again :rolleyes:.

A veteran has a really tough day after having been out much of the year with injuries and the writting's on the wall! Mind you I'm not saying she won't retire but enough already...hasn't she earned the right to do in on her on time without you the press or anyone else opening the door. She pulled through the death of her father that of a close friend her brothers troubles not to frickin mention bouncing back from a lunatics attempt on her life...by now I'm more than sure she's living her life on her terms and needs no help, or sympathy from those of you who would try to dictate her career.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Serena y Monica said:
She pulled through the death of her father that of a close friend her brothers troubles not to frickin mention bouncing back from a lunatics attempt on her life...by now I'm more than sure she's living her life on her terms and needs no help, or sympathy from those of you who would try to dictate her career.
I second that!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Her serve let her down today. She had points to go up 5-3 in the 1st set. Then her serve went off and she ended up throwing in almost a dozen double faults. She basically was giving Petrova her serve games. And Petrova was winning her serve games pretty good. It was not her movement today that caused the problem - it was her serve, lack of match play, IMO.

We have not seen the last of Seles - she will be back.

"I wont give up." - Seles

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Serena y Monica, Diva...did you even bother reading what I wrote?

I rendered my opinion based on something I saw that was different than anything that had come before. Others saw it, too. We were not hallucinating. It was an opinion based upon an observation, and yet I get accused of dictating.

Learn the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts