Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 706 Posts

·
Registered
19,470 Posts
Re: Excessive moderation II

Case in point:

Cheatermund: Used with some regularity in results threads involving Laura Siegemund.
Siegemund Fraud: Used once (by me), leading to the deletion of the post within a few minutes, although another post in the same thread containing the first nickname remained.

I see no material distinction between these nicknames. Either they are both acceptable, or neither are, and the first has been used sufficiently over the past 12 months or more that the moderators cannot have been ignorant of it. In the wider context, nicknames alluding to unsavoury, dubious, or dishonest conduct on the field of play have been and still are commonplace.

Maybe I'd just hit upon a particularly catchy nickname ... ;)
Removing only particular posts is another issue anyway. Not every poster can say everything.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts

I'd guess most of us want moderation to be the way we want moderation to be. :lol:

On the Sharapova thing I don't see why every time some player or public figure comments on it there needs to a new thread. It's old news. Boring. Everything's been stated - ad nauseum.

·
Administrator
29,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Inconsistent moderation is the problem. The Sharapova thread was closed because it's "beating a dead horse" but discussions about player's form, games, looks and so on recur over and over again: there's clearly a double standard applied to that topic and, well, any other.

And the mods' robotic interpretation of the rules doesn't do anything to distinguish between quality and abusive/trolling posts. Well-written and well thought through posts get deleted because they veer slightly off topic or use a nickname while baiting and trolling (or just content-free) posts that keep within the rules remain.
I've already explained the reasoning behind the Sharapova thread closure. Can you be more specific about the types of other discussions your referring too?

And if you see any posts that are clearly baiting and trolling then report them and we can look at it. We can't action them if we don't see them which is the case sometimes.

Removing only particular posts is another issue anyway. Not every poster can say everything.
You've already said this many times over and I have already explained to you. Can you stop spamming the thread.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Boycott this forum or post all the kind of posts that this forum's mods want to hear in another tennis forum,
but not in this tennis forum anymore.

This extreme censoring, deleting posts, editing posts without notification, even banning german users only for political reason
in this forum is unbelievable, never seen anything like that.

Please inform me when this german moderator, who writes every bit of certain german players and delete all my posts who are
critical with those players, is no mod anymore. This can only be a matter of time. What this moderator does cannot be
in the sense of verticalsport.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts

Well, for me, neither of those are suitable and both should have been edited. If you see it again, please report if it's not edited otherwise. Thanks
For you? There ought to be consistent standards applied across the board. It seems clear that these don't exist, and what happens to any given report or complaint depends largely on who gets to deal with it :rolleyes:

As for your suggestion: Thanks, but no thanks. I have given up trying to work out what is acceptable here and what isn't, which is probably the main reason why I don't post here anywhere near as much as I used to, or as I would like to. I suspect I'm far from being the only one, but others' mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
29,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

For you? There ought to be consistent standards applied across the board. It seems clear that these don't exist, and what happens to any given report or complaint depends largely on who gets to deal with it :rolleyes:

As for your suggestion: Thanks, but no thanks. I have given up trying to work out what is acceptable here and what isn't, which is probably the main reason why I don't post here anywhere near as much as I used to, or as I would like to. I suspect I'm far from being the only one, but others' mileage may vary.
Maybe the wrong terminology used, so apologies. I posted the rule around nicknames earlier in the thread, and those ones mentioned fit what's unacceptable. As I said, we try to be consistent but things are missed sometimes. And yes, we might have differing opinions about things, just like any other team, but the rules we've published are what we agreed on and what we follow.

Fair enough. Like you say, it was only a suggestion. And sorry you feel like that.

·
Administrator
29,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Here's an example of trolling.

If I remember correctly, the thread in which this was posted remained open for half a day (?) after that, and had several pages of replies to that particular post. Eventually the fighting got out of hand, and a moderator closed the thread and deleted all the replies to that post. But not the offensive post itself. I'm sure closing the thread was the only sensible thing do to, but it really pissed people off that the post they had all responded to was not deleted. That in turn meant the fighting started anew, in other threads, which meant even more work for the moderators.

Long story short, not all problems are solved by closing threads. Sometimes with touchy subjects the moderators need to clean up properly.
Thanks for providing an example. I'll have a look and discuss it with the rest of the team.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

Honestly, I feel the same like you Mauriac. I'm just a bit allergic to that kind of censoring and tbh I also feel like it's hurting a forum in the long term. I can understand that some people are annoyed by the ongoing discussions on that topic. But I still think that people should decide on their own what they want to post/read.

Of course it should be without insults etc and I know this is difficult to handle. but when people want to speak about the same thing again and again and again I think the mods should not have the right to shut them down. I certainly think it's way easier for those who don't care to just ignore the thread than for those who would like to speak about it and not have the opportunity anymore. It's just THE topic right now in tennis media. You are saying people are discussing the same things over and over again, but it's also the case because there are some news on this basically every day. Especially now with more decisions coming up regarding WCs, you are not allowing anymore threads on this until her first comeback match? This is not right IMO.

It's one of the few topics that still gets lots of attention in these sad days for the forum where some PM QFs only get like 20 posts. If this topic is also gone, there's not much left and then you have a very, very quiet GM. Don't know who benefits from this?
Whilst you make a good point, don't you think many people are just bored of reading the same subject, hence why now only that one subject discussed gets replied too.

GM is pretty depressing for a lot of Maria fans ATM and TBH from tennis fans that just want to talk about something else.

Personally I thought keeping one thread open was fine, but perhaps you could just warn certain people who dominate those threads from commenting if they weren't adding anything new, just repeating themselves, surely it's spam then? I think there is plenty of repetition of people's obsessions on many subjects.

Problem is Maria does a big spread for Vogue, it's just the type of thing that is always covered in GM, but of course there are quotes about Meldonium-gate.

I do use ignore a lot for very insulting posters, against players and other posters, but the problem with that system is you can't report these people. I do wonder if certain posters survive simply because a lot of people don't read what they say.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts

Maybe the wrong terminology used, so apologies. I posted the rule around nicknames earlier in the thread, and those ones mentioned fit what's unacceptable. As I said, we try to be consistent but things are missed sometimes. And yes, we might have differing opinions about things, just like any other team, but the rules we've published are what we agreed on and what we follow.

Fair enough. Like you say, it was only a suggestion. And sorry you feel like that.
This is true. There are a lot of nicknames that don't bother me, but I've become--over time--aware that other mods/admins have deleted them. Sometimes, it's because a user has pointed out, "hey, my post with that nickname got deleted, why didn't this one?" Sure enough, I'll rummage round in the archives and find out the poster is right.

We do try to be consistent, but like John. says, we do miss things sometimes. Honestly, 99% of the people in this forum are great, passionate tennis fans and it is by working together that we make this forum a better place. Please report bad posts and moderating errors. I'll be the first to admit I don't like being caught out in a mistake, but I do love tennis and TF, and if having a bit of egg on my face is the price to paid for improving things, so be it.

I also know this place is contrasted with MTF. Well, fine. Just as the ATP is different from the WTA, we are different from MTF. It has always been our belief that a forum dedicated to women's tennis should have a strongly pro-woman stance. A lot of other positions follow from that idea. Honestly, when I read the very intelligent commentary our posters produce on music, books, film, television, politics, etc. I am quite certain you can use your words to express your opinions on tennis without being crass and inconsiderate.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I'm more or less OK with the moderation here tbh.

I'd rather it be somewhat laxed and miss a few things than tight-assed and people are getting banned left and right for the smallest of infractions.

I've found ignoring certain posters and reporting certain threads is the best medicine.

If you're complaining about not being able to insult a player when someone else is insulting your own, you're missing the point.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
I'm more or less OK with the moderation here tbh.
Yeah. Mostly. Interestingly my last two posts in this very thread have been moderated the heck on outta here. :lol: Seems to defeat the point of the thread but what the hey . :shrug:

·
Admin
65,963 Posts
Are all the GM moderators white males?
CrossCourtRally and Marcus are white, I am not 100% sure about lctorana (lives in Australia) and ozza (GBR) to be honest, feel free to ask them via PM or they might give you an answer here in the thread also! :p

all males, yup! ;)

·
Registered
84,367 Posts
:haha:

·
Admin
65,963 Posts
Thank you. That's what I imagined.

The reason I'm asking is because I think a non-white GM moderator would be a valuable asset against the racist trolling in GM. I'm by no means accusing the current GM team of being racists or blind to racism, but I imagine a non-white person is even better at spotting the subtle and instigating posts that lead to the big brawls.

Just a suggestion.

:)
We surely wouldn´t say no if a suitable black guy/girl applies for a positon of a GM (or NT or whatever) mod in future but we obviously don´t make our decisions based on race or gender or ask our users if they are black or white before they apply, but I guess you would prefer a "We search for a new GM mod, preferably a non-white person" announcenment in future?

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Diversity would be a good thing, of course I don't expect it to be forced. To be honest I feel it is more important in non tennis where discussion about race and gender are far more prevalent.

·
Premium Member
170,601 Posts
Thank you. That's what I imagined.

The reason I'm asking is because I think a non-white GM moderator would be a valuable asset against the racist trolling in GM. I'm by no means accusing the current GM team of being racists or blind to racism, but I imagine a non-white person is even better at spotting the subtle and instigating posts that lead to the big brawls.

Just a suggestion.

:)
Thanks for bringing this up. On more than 1 occasion ( including earlier this week ) i've brought forward concerns about the lack of diversity within the GM mod team since coming aboard last year for some of the very reasons you listed. I also think the addition of a similar NT mod would also bring a valuable viewpoint when moderating certain issues pertaining to race and political views :)

·
Premium Member
170,601 Posts
I want to make myself clear that i'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus because every single mod and admin works very hard trying to keep this place running smoothly.

I'll try and make my point via the very hard working @pancake who has been the most active NT mod of late ( followed closely by Ryan :p ). He's a guy living in Hong Kong ( we already have some diversity in NT ;) ) who tries his best to understand the numerous issues at hand in NT. However, it's impossible for him ( as it is for me in GM on some issues ) to fully comprehend everything that is being discussed in ( for example ) the Race, Violence thread due to his lack of experience with such issues. As stated in my previous post, that's one of the reasons i think a more diverse roster of mods would help this site run in a more efficient manner .

I know for me personally, i have a hard time recognizing certain religious based insults in GM. Although lately I've been reading up and trying to educate myself on such hot topics :)

41 - 60 of 706 Posts