Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Doubles is a completely different discipline where certain skills can make you a much better player than in singles. I'm always baffled at how some of the top 100-ranked players in doubles are not even able to get through singles qualifying at an ITF (take Tereza Mihalikova or Ena Shibahara as an example).

Even though the basic components of the game are the same (strokes, volley, serve, etc.) doubles takes different skills into account which explains why some players are simply better at one than the other. You'll see this at every level of the sport, including even club players.

·
Registered
13,309 Posts
Katka is a heart on your sleeves, emotional player in singles.
In doubles she has a more soothing presence of Bara to calm her down if needed.
I still think there is time for her to be a very dangerous singles player, she has all tools, just not the head.
Plus I think playing singles helps her doubles.

Reactions: stano00 and Matty1

·
Stanning for Andi
22,200 Posts
Mladenovic and Siniakova don't have perfect technique on every single shot and those technical deficiencies are easier to disguise in doubles. Mladenovic was never the fastest mover on tour and her speed is likely to only go in one direction as she approaches 30.

But there is also no denying that both of them can return and serve well. They also have great touch and feel and know how to cross which is so important in doubles.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hit cross-court maybe?
hm... my feeling is something wirh running across the court while not disturbing the partner(?)

Reactions: xenosys

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
hm... my feeling is something wirh running across the court while not disturbing the partner(?)
I think it means to switch between ad to deuce court, like whether to cover net or baseline when your partner decides to poach at net or gets pulled to the opposite court.
I know jack shit about doubles tactics not going to lie.

·
La nuit je mens
94,244 Posts
Somewhere along the way, Mladenovic stopped caring about singles. She won so much with Babos, became #1 in doubles, made good money out of it and realised she could keep making good money while working less.

Since then, she's enjoying her life in Dubai when not on tour, she has taken her failed footballer brother (I mean, hiring your younger brother who's not a tennis player at all as main coach is basically the definition of giving up) as a main coach to bring him along the Dubai life and their both are enjoying their semi influenceurs kind of life on IG. Good for them.

As for Siniakova, she's a headcase.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Siniakova has the game for singles too. It is just that she doesn't have the mental stability for it.

Reactions: Perun and FERLKE

·
Registered
32,746 Posts
Weak hands and core body strength. You can´t succeed in singles, if you cannot move and re-produce the same rally shots over and over, almost like a robot. Both lack the mental and physical ability to do that imho. Siniakova and Mladenovic have great hands and variety, but they simply have no idea what kind of (rally) shot will come off their racquets next. Not as much of a problem in doubles, maybe even a strength.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts