Tennis Forum banner

Mixed Doubles

983 views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  alfajeffster 
#1 ·
Why don't more of the top singles players play Mixed Doubles at the majors any more? It seems like it would be a great place to work on net positioning and approach shots, and the complete game.

#3 ·
bandabou said:
Yeah, I want Serena to join Martina N as the only three-discipline career GS winners!!
The Triple Crown, as it is known, was accomplished by both Margaret Court and Billie Jean King before Martina did it. Margaret actually did it twice, if memory serves correctly- at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

#4 ·
alfajeffster said:
The Triple Crown, as it is known, was accomplished by both Margaret Court and Billie Jean King before Martina did it. Margaret actually did it twice, if memory serves correctly- at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.
So the media is giving the wrong info?!

I any case if Serena was to acomplish it....it ain´t that bad company, I´d say!

#6 ·
mishar said:
i think bandabou meant to win all three titles at all four grand slams, which only martina n. has done
Thank you, mishar....´cause wasn´t it for that achievement that she received an award earlier in the year?!

#7 ·
mishar said:
i think bandabou meant to win all three titles at all four grand slams, which only martina n. has done
I'm still a little confused- winning all three titles at all four majors in the same calendar year?

Margaret Court won all three titles at each of the majors. She won a Grand Slam in Mixed Doubles in 1965.

#8 ·
My partner and I won a the mixed doubles title at the Kappa tournament this weekend

#10 ·
LOL...errrr no I dont think so.

http:/www.tennisinformation.com

look up the Kappa tournament...

#11 ·
DA FOREHAND said:
LOL...errrr no I dont think so.

http:/www.tennisinformation.com

look up the Kappa tournament...
That site is a nightmare to navigate! Well, good to hear you played mixed and won- so many people neglect mixed doubles, and I think it's a hell of a lot of fun.

#12 ·
i play mixed doubles more tha any other type of tennis recreationally

it is fun... and about pro triple crown slam.. serena would be the most likely to win, or venus... and it would have to be at wimbledon

#13 ·
Well, a lot of top women play singles and women's doubles, so why play 3 events if the other two are so time-intensive? Not to mention the payout for mixed doubs is beyond ridiculous.

Plus, to play mixed doubles, you have to play with a man, and there aren't exactly a lot of men chomping at the bit to play mixed.

#14 ·
mishar said:
Not really! Three are three players who have the triple crown career Grand Slams: Doris Hart (1948 - 1955), Margaret Court (1960 - 1975), and Martina Navratilova (1974 - 2003).

Note:

A Career Grand Slam is achieved by winning all four different Grand Slams titles throughout ones tennis career. A triple crown Career Grand Slam is an achieved by winning all four different Grand Slams titles in Singles, Doubles, and Mixed Doubles. A GRAND Slam is achieved by winning all four majors consecutively.

So, the Elite Lists of Female Tennis Players are as follows:

Triple Crown Career GRAND Slams winners:

1. Doris Hart (1948 - 1955).
2. Margaret Court (1960 - 1975).
3. Martina Navratilova (1974 - 2003).

GRAND Slam Singles Winners:

1. Maurine Connolly
2. Margaret Court
3. Martina Navratilova
4. Steffi Graf
5. Serena Williams.

Career Grand Slam Singles Winners:

1. Shirley Fry
2. Doris Hart
3. Maurine Connolly
4. Margaret Court
5. Martina Navratilova
6. Billy Jean King
7. Chris Evert
8. Steffi Graf
9. Serena Williams.

Career GRAND Slam Doubles Winners:

1.Louise Brough
2.Anne Smith
3. Doris Hart
4. Margaret Court
5. Navratilova
6. Lesley Turner Bowrey
7. Helena Sukova
8. Pam Shriver
9. Jana Novotna
10. Gigi Fernandez
11. Martina Hingis
12. Venus Williams
13. Serena Williams.

Career GRAND Slam Mixed-Doubles Winners:

1. Doris Hart
2. Margaret Court
3. Martina Navratilova
4. Billy Jean King

Data Source: http://www.tenniscorner.net/stats/gswomenstitles.php

NB: Serena Williams, having already has the Mixed Doubles titles from Wimbledon and the US Open, is just an Australian Open Mixed Doubles title, and French Open Mixed Doubles title, away from becoming the fourth player in tennis history to achieve a COMPLETED CAREER Grand Slam record. Not to bad for a 22 years old young woman who only has 20 Grand Slams tournaments behind her for experience.

#16 ·
QUEENLINDSAY said:
I dont think we need to include those 1940's, 50's!!!
come on!!!!! how many players do we have then? and as far as i know, only invited players, elite people can join them. Lets just concentrate on the OPEN Era.
QueenLindsay, your point is well taken, but also think that the tennis purist fans among us may argue the other way. However, I am one of those fans who do not put too much stock into making equal two seemingly equal things that are not actually equal. That is, winning a Grand Slam in the pre-Open Era was certainly not the same as winning a Grand Slam in the more competitive Open Era of, say 1980's, which in turn was not the same as winning a Grand Slam in the much more competitive era today.

#19 ·
TennisHack said:
Well, a lot of top women play singles and women's doubles, so why play 3 events if the other two are so time-intensive? Not to mention the payout for mixed doubs is beyond ridiculous.

Plus, to play mixed doubles, you have to play with a man, and there aren't exactly a lot of men chomping at the bit to play mixed.
Actually most of the top mens doubles players play(ed) in the mixed regularly. eg the woodies, the bryans, paes, bjorkman among others. T

Playing three events is very arduous. The temptation is winning a slam. Sure singles trumps mixed at the majors, but would you prefer a tier III singles title in the middle east or the wimbledon, french, US or AUS open mixed? I'd take a slam any day, and I think the players with the capability know it.

Players that were able to play three events in the same slam amaze me. winning all three, wow! having won all the event at all the slams. Hell!! that is something.

I dont suppose anyong has even named the achievement of winning all 3 events at all the 4 slams at the same time. "the Grand, Grand Slam?"

#20 ·
Yeah, it's a great shame, that the top player don't play mixed.
I'm working nowadays on mixed draws from the early 70s.
There were teams with top player like:
Newcombe/King
Tiriac/Haydon-Jones
Okker/Wade
Roche/Casals
Metreveli/Morozova
Emerson/King
Ralston/Durr
Stolle/Goolagong
Nastase/Casals
Connors/Evert
Turnbull/Turnbull
Kodes/Navratilova
Ashe/Gibson

Even Borg, Vilas, Gerulaitis, Pancho Gonzales used to play mixed...

#21 · (Edited)
Great info Laj! :worship:

QueenLindsay-considering it was HARDER to travel in the 40s and 50s you should give Hart her Props.

Using your logic todays women should be excluded too-since most of the women in the world have no chance to play tennis.

It's hard for players to respect mixed when the events themselves disrespect it. The Aussie and the US Open don't even play out a third set. It's a joke. Contrast that with Wimbledon-where even the thir set doesn't end in a tiebreak.

#22 ·
laj said:
NB: Serena Williams, having already has the Mixed Doubles titles from Wimbledon and the US Open, is just an Australian Open Mixed Doubles title, and French Open Mixed Doubles title, away from becoming the fourth player in tennis history to achieve a COMPLETED CAREER Grand Slam record. Not to bad for a 22 years old young woman who only has 20 Grand Slams tournaments behind her for experience.
Had it not been for Venus,
Serena would only be one GS title away.

As a family
they have
achieved the feet! :)

Williams' Sisters GS Career

Singles
Australian Open: 03'(1) 1-Serena
Roland Garros: 02'(1) 1-Serena
Wimbledon: 00'-03'(4) 2-Venus, 2-Serena
US Open: 99'-02'(4) 2-Venus, 2-Serena

Doubles
Australian Open: 01', 03'(2)
Roland Garros: 99'(1)
Wimbledon: 00', 02'(2)
US Open: 99'(1)

Mixed Doubles
Australian Open: 98'(1) 1-Venus(w/Justin Gimelstob)
Roland Garros: 98'(1) 1-Venus(w/Justin Gimelstob)
Wimbledon: 98'(1) 1-Serena(w/Max Myrni)
US Open: 98'(1) 1-Serena(w/Max Myrni)

#24 ·
tommystar said:
Yeah, it's a great shame, that the top player don't play mixed.
I'm working nowadays on mixed draws from the early 70s.
There were teams with top player like:
Newcombe/King
Tiriac/Haydon-Jones
Okker/Wade
Roche/Casals
Metreveli/Morozova
Emerson/King
Ralston/Durr
Stolle/Goolagong
Nastase/Casals
Connors/Evert
Turnbull/Turnbull
Kodes/Navratilova
Ashe/Gibson

Even Borg, Vilas, Gerulaitis, Pancho Gonzales used to play mixed...
I can't help but add to your list: Margaret Court / Marty Reissen were the best mixed doubles team in the late 60s and early 70s. In fact, Margaret Court and anybody was virtually a shoe-in for the final, and she won 19 Mixed Doubles Majors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.