Tennis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I saw some highlights of the Mauresmo-Likhovtseva match at the RogersAT&T Cup. One of them featured a shot where Amelie tried to hit a topspin backhand but missed the ball completely. This was the first time I had seen such a miss but i would've expected this to happen more often considering how skewed racquets can get during shots and how common it is for pros to have to take shots from much less than ideal positions and how hard it can be sometimes to get into position with the ball coming back so fast.

So, have any of you seen any pro player miss the ball completely before?

· Registered
34,373 Posts
I saw this also and it was very odd. I've seen it quite a few times done because the ball took a funny bounce or something, but this was a different case. Amelie had a normal ball with a norma bounce and yet she missed the ball COMPLETELY. She missed it for absolutely no reason and she knew it. I've never seen anything like it...

· Registered
7,256 Posts
Hey...we're all humans! Sometimes your timing is off and it doesn't dawn on you until it's too late. Anyhow, Amelie won the match so it matters little now.

· In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
I think Jenny completely mishit one time, not sure which tourney but yeah it happens. As long as you recover, hey thats all that matters!

· Registered
511 Posts
i saw hingis at montral wehn vs serna she completely missde an overhead, so maybe this is similiar but overhead is tough with sun and windy factor

· Registered
3,196 Posts
caelestia said:
Today I saw some highlights of the Mauresmo-Likhovtseva match at the RogersAT&T Cup. One of them featured a shot where Amelie tried to hit a topspin backhand but missed the ball completely.
I must have missed that part. I left the Amelie match on Center Court shortly after the first set to watch Vera-Mashona on Court-1. Anyway, I rarely see mishits like that. Cases I can remember at the moment are the following:
- Hingis vs Venus, USOpen-97. Hingis missed an overhead smash on purpose to deride Venus; Swiss Miss knew that ball from Venus was going long and it did go long.
- Patty Schnyder missed the ball several times during one match at WB-2001 (or some other tourney!). The commentators at the time blamed that on bad and/or uneven bounces.

· Registered
6,123 Posts
Navratilova did it in the final of the 1978 Wimbledon finals vs Evert!

It was quite an easy smash and Martina moved forward to take it and wanted to kill it and just completely missed the ball!!

The crowd laughed, and Martina and Chris smiled at each other and Martina made some sort of gesture insinuating there was a hole in the middle of her racquet lol

Years later Martina nominated this as one of her most embarrasing moment...

· Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't mean to disrespect Amelie, but it certainly was a curious shot to watch as it was my first time seeing a straight backhand miss but missing shots is obviously more common than I thought. She made an incredible recovery in the last two sets though and showed why she's a top 10 player.

· Registered
4,778 Posts
First off; Elena :sad:

Back in like 2001 wasn't there a match between like Capriati and Hingis, and one of the balls hit the net post? Capriati hit this and won the point I believe, but I also thought this was wierd.

If I am really off, I have hit myself in the head before with my racket. I really have no idea how my racket actually makes contact with my head, but it somehow does at times. Shows you how good of a player I am... :D

· Registered
3,619 Posts
I've seen each member of the Top 10 completely miss a shot - a "fresh air swing", as they call it.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Steffi missed an overhead in the 96 Wimby final, went back and swatted the ball over the net, ASV hit a winning passing shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.