·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did she decide to retire ??

·
Registered
527 Posts
No, Karina is comitted for the french open qualifying. She must have been injured this spring. The WTA doesn't seem to bother to give any news on karina. A little bit sad for a tour veteran (she had played for more then 10 years) and a former top 10 player. I hope she comes back soon. She is 28 now and could have a few good years.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Very fitting to see her name surface just before the final of the German Open.

I still have recollections of her sensational Berlin campaign in 1996 - the pinnacle year of her career. Dropping Schett, Hingis, Pierce and Huber en route to a final where she lost a tight three-setter to the practical owner of the tournament.

Her Roland Garros adventure a few weeks later was just as spectacular. Almost ousted in Round 1 by Australian no-name Kristin Godridge, she picked up three prominent scalps in Tauziat (8-6 in the 3rd), Hingis (6-4 in the 3rd) and Huber before falling to eventual finalist Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario in the Quarterfinal.

The thriller ended 6-2, 6-7, 10-8 for the Spaniard. Bizarrely, Arantxa would lose one of the most famous Slam finals with almost the exact same score (6-3, 6-7, 10-8).

One can only speculate what Karina must have thought. Had she passed Arantxa, she could very well have ended up as a French Open champion. Sure, she would still have had to drop Jana Novotna in the Semifinal, and Steffi would not have handed her the trophy voluntarily. But if she ever had the chance, that was it.

Although she picked up a WTA title (on clay in Austria) as late as 1999, she would never reach the same heights again.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
The last time i remeber seeing her name was in Canberra Qualies where she lost to Lucie Ahl!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts