Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 68th edition of the Miss Universe pageant will be held at the Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, Georgia in the USA. 90 contestants will compete for the title.
The outgoing titleholder, Catriona Gray of the Philippines will crown her successor at the end of the event.

Miss Universe 2018, Catriona Gray:

Preliminary Competition:

National Costume Competition:

FINAL RESULTS:

Miss Universe 2019
South Africa - Zozibini Tunzi

1st Runner-Up

Puerto Rico - Madison Anderson

2nd Runner-Up
Mexico - Sofía Aragon

Top 5
Colombia - Gabriela Tafur Nader
Thailand - Paweensuda Drouin

Top 10
France - Maëva Coucke
Iceland - Birta Abiba Þórhallsdóttir
Indonesia - Frederika Alexis Cull
Peru - Kelin Rivera
USA - Cheslie Kryst

Top 20
Albania - Cindy Marina
Brazil - Júlia Horta
Croatia - Mia Rkman
Dominican Republic - Clauvid Dály
India - Vartika Singh
Nigeria - Olutosin Araromi
Philippines - Gazini Ganados
Portugal - Sylvie Silva
Venezuela - Thalía Olvino
Vietnam - Hoàng Thùy

Special Awards

Best National Costume:

Phillipines - Gazini Ganados

Miss Congeniality:
Poland - Olga Buława

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Times:

12:00 AM London, Lisbon (Dec 9th)
1:00 AM Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Zurich, Prague, Bratislava, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Warsaw, Vienna, Belgrade, Podgorica, Pristina, Budapest, Lagos (Dec 9th)
2:00 AM Helsinki, Bucharest, Cairo, Johannesburg (Dec 9th)
3:00 AM Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Doha (Dec 9th)
4:00 AM Abu Dhabi, Dubai (Dec 9th)
5:30 AM New Delhi (Dec 9th)
6:00 AM Kuala Lumpur (Dec 9th)
7:00 AM Bangkok, Jakarta, Hanoi (Dec 9th)
8:00 AM Manila, Beijing (Dec 9th)
9:00 AM Tokyo (Dec 9th)
11:00 AM Sydney (Dec 9th)
1:00 PM Auckland (Dec 9th)
4:00 PM Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
6:00 PM Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Mexico City, San Salvador, Guatemala City, Tegucigalpa, Managua, San Jose (CR)
7:00 PM Atlanta, New York, Miami, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City, Lima, Bogotá, Quito, Panama City, Montreal, Toronto, Port-au-Prince
8:00 PM San Juan (PR), La Paz, Caracas, Santo Domingo
9:00 PM Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Asunción, Montevideo

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My final prediction:

Africa & Asia Pacific:
THAILAND
PHILIPPINES
SOUTH AFRICA
INDONESIA
KENYA

Europe:
ALBANIA
FRANCE
SLOVAK REPUBLIC
IRELAND
ICELAND

Americas:
COLOMBIA
PUERTO RICO
BRAZIL
PERÚ
USA

Wild Card:
CHILE
VIETNAM
ARGENTINA
MEXICO
INDIA (Fan Vote)

Miss Universe 2019:
COLOMBIA - Gabriela Tafur Nader

1st Runner-Up:
THAILAND - Paweensuda Drouin

2nd Runner-Up:
PUERTO RICO - Madison Anderson

Top 5:
BRAZIL - Julia Horta
PHILIPPINES - Gazini Ganados

Top 10:
ALBANIA - Cindy Marina
FRANCE - Maeva Coucke
PERÚ - Kelin Rivera
SOUTH AFRICA - Zozibini Tunzi
USA - Cheslie Kryst

Top 20:
ARGENTINA - Mariana Varela
CHILE - Geraldine González
ICELAND - Birta Abiba Þórhallsdóttir
INDIA - Vartika Singh
INDONESIA - Frederika Alexis Cull
IRELAND - Fionnghuala O’Reilly
KENYA - Stacy Michuki
MÉXICO - Sofía Aragón
SLOVAK REPUBLIC - Laura Longauerova
VIETNAM - Thùy Hoàng

Bubbling: Venezuela, Aruba, Sierra Leone, Mauritius, US Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Bolivia, Bangladesh, Spain, Japan.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miss Universe 2019 Top 20:

Africa & Asia Pacific:
  1. South Africa
  2. Indonesia
  3. Vietnam
  4. Nigeria
  5. Thailand
Europe:
  1. Albania
  2. France
  3. Iceland
  4. Croatia
  5. Portugal
Americas:
  1. Puerto Rico
  2. Perú
  3. DR
  4. Mexico
  5. USA
Wild Card:
  1. Philippines
  2. Venezuela
  3. India
  4. Brazil
  5. Colombia

·
Registered
17,440 Posts
Amazing performance from the top 3 actually. I'm not shocked that SA won again. Like Demi, Zozi is a woman of real character and poise. I'm thrilled for her.

Nice to see Indonesia finally reach the Top 10.To me, Fred is the most facially beautiful Indonesia rep since Whulandary. But still third, IMO, to her and Elvira. But Fred seems to have really blossomed since Puteri.

I'm glad Gazini made the Top 20, but a real bummer to lose the Top 10 streak that Philippines has enjoyed since Venus Raj. But keeping the 10-peat SF alive is still commendable. She really is more of a Trump-era candidate anyway.

You only have to look at the Top 3 to understand that the MU woman is a very different now so I'm curious to see how the pageant will continue to evolve.

·
Registered
84,718 Posts
Very pleasant surprise but happy with the results.
Congrats SA for making it the winner's circle again! :cheer: She was no less competitive in swimsuit and evening gown (gown was uniquely amazing), and her Q&A just was like an icing on the cake. Very well deserved winner. Nevertheless, this is the best timing to crown another black woman as winner actually.
Puerto Rico has had her long journey to MU (as so I read) and I guess this is almost the best possible run for her.
Mexico is looking a bit too cool for MU, so 3rd is good for her. Good to know her experience as speaker helps her a lot. And is it me or I find her make-up a bit too much?lol
Thailand and big favourite Colombia also was ok, but somewhat under-performed in their first Q&A. Thailand almost had no concrete point in her reply while Colombia sounds nervous despite in her native language.
Among top 10, I super love Iceland! I love her positive happy aura. Hope to see her more in the future. And also happy for France, was worried her fall would have an impact on her outcome but I guess it didn't matter much. She needs to be a star too.👼 Peru performed very good but too bad she had tough competition, could see her in top 5.
Philippines went as far as she could possibly could. She sounded nervous and I thought she looked too much Latina than Asian. Also it is definitely hard to follow after Pia and Catriona's footsteps.
And finally, poor Malaysia. Fell so hard in the prelims, continue to be unplaced for 50 years and counting, and then got mixed up as winner of National Costume, although I am glad she had her own airtime and showed the best she could. :D
I don't like the stage production as compared to previous years. Poor Mexico who was last to be called in the top 10 have to rush back in front after her parade in swimsuit and evening gown. Also doesn't show much of the contestants walks. The cameraman also almost mistaken Ireland as Iceland. LOL

·
Registered
34,117 Posts

·
Registered
17,440 Posts
Thailand and big favourite Colombia also was ok, but somewhat under-performed in their first Q&A. Thailand almost had no concrete point in her reply while Colombia sounds nervous despite in her native language.
I still don't know what Thailand's answer is to that question. Really shocked that Colombia didn't look as confident answering that questions. She seems like a generally assured speaker. But the pressure is no joke.
The production was awful, especially after Thailand's glamorous edition last year. I really think they need to stop hosting the pageant in the US if there's no real "event" around it. It's the biggest pageant in the world, for crying out loud. I hope they've already started on finding a host and sponsors for 2020. They didn't even have a shoe sponsor this year!

Not entirely on-topic but starting next year, Miss Universe Philippines will no longer going to be part of Binibining Pilipinas, the pageant and organization that's been responsible for MU PH as well as five other international pageants. This is going to be interesting, because we might see the return of several queens who have already represented PH in say INTL, Supra, and MGI but didn't go on to win. With a different franchise, I imagine that they'd be eligible to try for Universe again.

·
2,065 Posts
South Africa winning is amazing! I saw around the interwebs someone commenting that she would be the type of winner to do TEDtalks than photoshoots, and I can only agree! Her platform is huge, I wish MUO could do more with her than they did with Catriona in her reign. Also would have loved to have Mexico or Iceland winning too.

Just have a tad problem with contestants like Puerto Rico switching national pageants but would have been nice to see her giving the Americas a win again. :)

Not entirely on-topic but starting next year, Miss Universe Philippines will no longer going to be part of Binibining Pilipinas, the pageant and organization that's been responsible for MU PH as well as five other international pageants. This is going to be interesting, because we might see the return of several queens who have already represented PH in say INTL, Supra, and MGI but didn't go on to win. With a different franchise, I imagine that they'd be eligible to try for Universe again.
This is exciting news. :giggle:

·
Registered
17,440 Posts
I wish MUO could do more with her than they did with Catriona in her reign.
I've seen a bit of this on IG. It seems like most people thought that Cat didn't do much during her reign, largely because she didn't do as many international trips as previous queens. But I feel like Cat's platform has always been tied to working with charities, and she did a lot of that (at least from what I saw on her IG). It seemed like she was traveling a fair bit in the US for that.

There were also all these reports of her supposedly confirmed for a few different crownings in Latin America that never ended up happening, but she would be found in the Philippines during those dates instead, which to me proved that the opportunities were there to travel, but she probably just didn't prioritize things like traveling to crown queens.

·
Registered
18,677 Posts
Congrats Zozi! She performed well in every segment. ♥

·
2,065 Posts
I've seen a bit of this on IG. It seems like most people thought that Cat didn't do much during her reign, largely because she didn't do as many international trips as previous queens. But I feel like Cat's platform has always been tied to working with charities, and she did a lot of that (at least from what I saw on her IG). It seemed like she was traveling a fair bit in the US for that.

There were also all these reports of her supposedly confirmed for a few different crownings in Latin America that never ended up happening, but she would be found in the Philippines during those dates instead, which to me proved that the opportunities were there to travel, but she probably just didn't prioritize things like traveling to crown queens.
No definitely agree I can see that that she focused more on local projects and advocacy in the Philippines than internationally. Shows just how an amazing queen she was and how dedicated she was to her platform. :giggle: Perhaps you are right the appearance of a lackluster rein from the outside was more intentional behind the scenes.

I was talking more along the lines that MUO did not capitalized in really promoting her. After she won last year, her influence and impact was huge but it slowly dwindled away shortly after. They could have at least use her more in promoting this year's event I felt. But this year was just a mess in general in terms of scheduling and planning (like the host city being announced a month before the finale which costed some countries to not be able to participate due to lack of getting a visa in time) that I guess you could only expect what you get.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats South Africa on a historic victory!
I must say I was in part surprised she made Top 5 but after she answered both segments, basically ran away with it.
I just think the fact they won two years ago and placed 1RU last year could go against her, surely did not.
Also I believe this is the best 3-year streak ever 1s-2nd-1st in MU history. Outdoing Colombia's 3 1RU finishes in a row during the 90s.

Omg. I crashed after the show yesterday and utterly forgot we cannot edit posts after 24 hrs anymore.
Anyway to update the OP title and add results and at least a picture? @Leif

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is Araneta retiring or Binibining Pilipinas will still be around with the other franchises?

I heard Shamcey Sumsup (Binibining 2011) will be in charge. What are your thoughts?
PH currently has the best streak placement (10 years) so it's not like BPCI was doing a bad job, they produced 2 MUs in that run too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts