Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
She gave few interviews after the match.

Said she started bad, could not find rythm on serve nor return. Rain helped, she talked to coach and then played good until 5:0.
Says there is no excuse, that it should never happen. Carina played well for two games, but then she admits she got really tight at 5:3. Says it's Wimbledon first round and she was nervous, but that it shouldn't happened. Thinks she should have won 6:0, then says OK 6:2 or 6:3 even.
Also mentioned that she was fighting with injury and that is not secure in her game at the moment.
Looked quite angry at herself, did not want to say anything about future plans.

·
Registered
514 Posts
First few years back grass was her best surface.
Last few years I think maybe even due to her age she always carries few injuries at this time of the year.
Not saying injury directly has anything to do with yesterday, but if she was injury free and played Birmingham she would probably gets few wins on grass coming into Wimbledon. That would make huge difference.
I have no doubt in my mind that had she won yesterday(she was really close at 5:0 and 6:5) she would easily beat Sabalenka tomorrow.
That is not excuse, just explanation. If you truly are MLB fan, you have to get used to this sooner or later. And understand it.
Had she won, she probably would have gone further, that's true, but the injury thing at this time of year, I don't buy because she chokes all year round. If you're injured, you can't play your best at any time and you lose 2-6 2-6. You don't hit purple patches in matches from a set and a break down, win 10 out of 13 games, be on the cusp of winning and then mentally collapse. This is now the 21st match where she has been one game from victory with a break in either the second or final set and then lost. That isn't injuries ! Injuries didn't cause her to collapse against Niculescu from match point last week. That was a choke and so was this and so are the results below.

It was January when she led Jana Cepelova 5-3 2MP final set and lost
It was February when she had Flipkens 5-3 30-15 final set in the Australian open and then won just 1 more point.
It was March when she Wickmayer 6-3 3-1 40-15 and lost
It was April in Prague when she had Krunic 6-3 5-3 and lost
It was May in Strasbourg when she had Keys 6-4 5-0 and lost as well as Medina-Garrgigues 6-2 5-2 , 2MP and lost and again when she had Dokic 6-3 5-3 2MP and lost.
It was August when she led Zheng 5-3 final set and lost and Cirstea 5-2 final set 2MP and lost
It was September when she led Flipkens 4-1 40-0 final set and lost
It was October when she served for the match twice against Pliskova at Wuhan and lost and when she led Babos 4-1 40-30 final set and lost

·
Registered
245 Posts
Had she won, she probably would have gone further, that's true, but the injury thing at this time of year, I don't buy because she chokes all year round. If you're injured, you can't play your best at any time and you lose 2-6 2-6.
I think that, for her own mentality, it's probably important to attribute her losing to an injury rather than nerves and confidence. If not, this would be a tough loss to bounce back from. Hopefully she can regain some confidence before the USO.

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
Had she won, she probably would have gone further, that's true, but the injury thing at this time of year, I don't buy because she chokes all year round. If you're injured, you can't play your best at any time and you lose 2-6 2-6. You don't hit purple patches in matches from a set and a break down, win 10 out of 13 games, be on the cusp of winning and then mentally collapse. This is now the 21st match where she has been one game from victory with a break in either the second or final set and then lost. That isn't injuries ! Injuries didn't cause her to collapse against Niculescu from match point last week. That was a choke and so was this and so are the results below.

It was January when she led Jana Cepelova 5-3 2MP final set and lost
It was February when she had Flipkens 5-3 30-15 final set in the Australian open and then won just 1 more point.
It was March when she Wickmayer 6-3 3-1 40-15 and lost
It was April in Prague when she had Krunic 6-3 5-3 and lost
It was May in Strasbourg when she had Keys 6-4 5-0 and lost as well as Medina-Garrgigues 6-2 5-2 , 2MP and lost and again when she had Dokic 6-3 5-3 2MP and lost.
It was August when she led Zheng 5-3 final set and lost and Cirstea 5-2 final set 2MP and lost
It was September when she led Flipkens 4-1 40-0 final set and lost
It was October when she served for the match twice against Pliskova at Wuhan and lost and when she led Babos 4-1 40-30 final set and lost
You left out when she served for the match in the 3rd set against Lepchenko at Stanford in '15. I was at that match
Also the Medina-Garrigus collapse was in Italian Open qualifying. She lost 4 and 4 to her at Strasbourg.

That said,

We have to remember that she has also won matches from way behind that she had no business winning.

- Strasbourg against Jeng Jie
- Miami against K. Bondarenko

She ended up making the QF in Miami after coming back against Bondarenko. That's a lot of points she wouldn't have gotten.

And, then '14 US Open Qualifying in the 1st and 3rd rounds where she was down 4-2 against Pera and especially 5-2 against Shaptava - She would probably not have had her career resurgence if she had lost either of those matches and be retired now.

So, these periodic chokes, however painful they are to us, need to be put in perspective vis a visa her overall results.

I look at it as the glass is half full

She loses to Shaptava and:

-She would not have beaten Halep or Mug at the US Open
-She would most likely not have beaten Venus Williams at Quebec City.
-She would probably not have even been around to upset Halep at the '15 French Open
-She would have probably been retired, and not been around to even enter the '17 Australian Open.

It's all gravy

·
Registered
514 Posts
You left out when she served for the match in the 3rd set against Lepchenko at Stanford in '14. I was at that match
Also the Medina-Garrigus collapse was in Italian Open qualifying. She lost 4 and 4 to her at Strasbourg.

I didn't suggest she lost to AMG in Strasbourg from 2MP. I said she lost to her in the month of May (the previous week to the Strasbourg loss), as she lost to Jelena Dokic in the month of May (in Florence in 2008), if you read it again. The emphasis was on the month of the year, not the tournament.

I left out many other similar results too. These were just examples. Of course she has also had some miraculous escapes (but they were not due to opponents choking) and also seemingly miraculous escapes that get to the winning post and then collapse as her game falls apart again.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Match starting. I think they have a chance as long as hard hitting Siniakova and Hradecka don't kill weak serve of Petkovic.

·
Registered
514 Posts
4-6 first set and went 3-0 up second. Now Petkovic serving for it at 5-3 30-0 and guess what happened next. They lose serve of course. 4-6 5-4

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Petkovic choked badly serving for it

Were they up 5-1 or 5-2 this set?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hradecka DF so 5-2 now . Petkovic misses a backhand sitter down the line which goes long for 5-3 but then serves big for 6-3. Big serve from Siniakova 6-4 then she nets a forehand and it's one set all

241 - 260 of 266 Posts