Schedule

08.06. | WTA Nottingham $250,000 | MD
15.06. | WTA Birmingham $731,000 | Q
21.06. | WTA Eastbourne $731,000 | Q
29.06. | Wimbledon | MD

·
Registered
844 Posts
Plus she will probably make the MD in Birmingham (she's 3rd alt currently), whereas she would have no chance in Eastbourne.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I thought when we saw her at Nottingham last year, that it would be the last chance we got to go. As it's where we both work, I might go again this time.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
I think she maybe entered Eastbourne, but Q draw is not out.
Also, she got injured last year in Eastbourne when leading 6-3 5-2... and ir affected Wimbledon.. no need to take risk
She should play both singles and doubles to get right feel for grass. Plus points are not as long, she is fit enough to play

Anyone thinking about US Open-Quebec run repeating with Roland Garros-Nottingham ;)

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
Hasnt entered Bastad nor Buchurest. Sve would probably be seeded. But she does need break.

My guess she will be back for Stanford or even maybe Florianapolis.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Hasnt entered Bastad nor Buchurest. Sve would probably be seeded. But she does need break.

My guess she will be back for Stanford or even maybe Florianapolis.
Ajmo, you really are awesome and deserve to be protected by Four Fire-Breathing Dragons,

ONE at your Blessed Head, to protect you from nightmares (in which Miki perpetually serves for a match and gets broken)

TWO at your Chest, where you are already thumping yourself, as a Miki-fan, and a dragon can probably keep you from doing further damage.

THREE at your knees, where you should be PRAYING TO THE HOLY VIRGIN MARY for good draws for Miki on grass ...

FOUR at the rest of us who need to keep believing.

Bottom line: thanks, Ajmo, for your Croatian excellence ( and kudos to Ma Re, totally)

Mirjana did beautifully in Paris, but the next month will be crucial for her.

She MUST capitalize on everything, or else it will be difficult to imagine her playing next year with a destroyed ranking ... at her age.

Also, I cannot imagine that she will play Stanford, which has gotten worse and WORSE over the last seven years as a tournament.

Take it from someone who goes every year -- it is an event waiting to die.

My only claim to tennis fame (aside from my fabulous USTA league record as singles champion 15-1 ... alas, I got my ass kicked by a Rafael Nadal-type, 6-4 6-2 in the last match of the season ... a short and scrappy Asian who had also not lost a match) is seeing Mirjana gag on a Biscuit of Boredom at Stanford last year against Raquel Crompity-Cromp.

Horrible.

But we saw what happened afterwards ...

Point being: her time is short.

I join you in believing that she could do something miraculous ... but it has to be this year, Jesus Wept.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
It has to be this year. but you never know. It could be next year...
She needs to stay in top 60 to get into Olympics.. Mirjana getting a medal in Olympics in singles, doubles or mix? I doesn't seam impossible. And it would be wonderful way to 'end' her stroy.

imagine Dodig/Lucic in doubles..That team could stand a chance.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
It has to be this year. but you never know. It could be next year...
She needs to stay in top 60 to get into Olympics.. Mirjana getting a medal in Olympics in singles, doubles or mix? I doesn't seam impossible. And it would be wonderful way to 'end' her stroy.

imagine Dodig/Lucic in doubles..That team could stand a chance.
Doesn't she need FC matches to get in?
Last FC played -> 1998 vs Japan (in team with Majoli, Kostanic, Krstulovic).

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
She needs to be eligible and she was this year. I guess she'll need to play next year.
She is definitely eligible. Frankly, I don't understand why the Croatian team has made it so hard for her to actually participate and play. Maybe it's Miki's fault and their fault, a mix. Croatian tennis observers would know more about the details than fans in the States.

But she's capable of playing wonderful tennis at this late stage ... it's amazing. She needs to play next year, seeing as she is playing great ball.

I just wonder at what might have been -- I mean, Ivanovic getting her ass handed to her in a paper bag by Safarova in a Grand Slam semifinal?

Miki totally could have "been there."

But she did great just getting to the third round.

Glass half full. Glass half empty ....

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
She needs to be eligible and she was this year. I guess she'll need to play next year.
Then Majoli is :cuckoo:
Cause she took out-of-form Vekić, not so good Vrljić, and she could made team of Lucić/Konjuh/Jurak and Fett/Mrdeza/Martić.
If she had done that - it would be Croatia not Serbia, fighting for WG II (and as we know, this fight would be easier than Euro-zone FC).

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
She's a dangerous creature, right now. Her game is peaking. We all know it.

This is the time to grab something, not next year.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
Yehh, I think a lot of her Quebec success was due to the fact she had fun on court, enjoyed her tennis.
Too bad she couldn't play any other WTA before the end of the year.
Hope she can now ride this wave during whole summer/season.

·
Registered
18,539 Posts
http://www.nottinghampost.com/Mirjana-Lucic-Boroni-excited-Aegon-Open/story-26637581-detail/story.html

Mirjana Lucic-Baroni excited for Aegon Open Nottingham – and Robin Hood

Excitement is building for the Aegon Open Nottingham. And not just among those set to take part.

Croatian Mirjana Lucic-Baroni was like a 'little child' as she took to Centre Court at the Nottingham Tennis Centre, putting in some practice before the WTA event starts this weekend.

But while delighted to play her first few shots on grass, she was almost as happy to meet an icon of the city.

Robin Hood held court as Lucic-Baroni and Varvara Lepchenko picked up their rackets, and the former took the opportunity to take some photos and record a video to send back to her niece, Martina Radaelli, in Italy.

"She told me if I came here to say hi to Robin Hood, so now she's going to have a video and a picture of him. She'll be very excited," said the 33-year-old.

"She's five years old and she loves Robin Hood, so she'll be very happy.

"Her dad told her that I am coming to play in Robin Hood's town and to see Robin Hood.

"I can't wait to show her the video."

Lucic-Baroni meanwhile, cannot wait to get going on grass.

This year sees a new three-week window between the clay of the French Open and Wimbledon, with the change welcomed by the players.

"I think it's huge for us," said the world No.70. "It's really great for Wimbledon to have a chance to play another big tournament.

"I think that's the key to playing well at Wimbledon – having as many matches as possible and getting used to the grass because it is so different.

"We play so little on this surface, so one extra week and a few matches definitely helps a lot.

"I love England in general and I love this place. I love grass, so coming here is really beautiful.

"It's small, quiet and a very nice atmosphere to start the grass court season on.

"I just love it (grass). I feel like it suits my game.

"Tennis has slowed down a lot with the surfaces. Even on hard courts, it's a lot slower than it was before.

"Finally something which suits my game!

"I really like it a lot.

"I'm like a little child, really excited to go on court.

"I was really excited to have my first practice.

"I feel really genuinely excited to be on court, which is a really nice feeling after you've done the sport for a very, very long time.

"I'm happy that I have those feelings still."

1 - 20 of 292 Posts