Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mirjana Lucic wants to win Grand Slams, thinks her comeback will be "an explosion"

Here are some parts of the latest interview with Mirjana Lucic.

- She got sick after Indian Wells and couldn't play for a while but now she feels OK and can practise. She's currently preparing for a 100K challenger in Rome. She plays tennis 4 hours a day plus spends 2 hours in the gym.
- She is still having problems with money and says it's very expensive to travel to tournaments and that's why she has to ask for WCs. Everyone promises her help when she starts playing more tournaments but she needs the money now.
- She feels a lot of pressure on herself but she says she's mentally and physically stronger than ever.
- She believes that as soon as she starts playing regularly her comeback will turn into "an explosion" and she thinks it will happen already in September.
- Her goal is to reach the very top of the game and win Grand Slams.
- She is very disappointed and bitter that the Croatian Fed Cup captain Goran Prpic didn't invite her to play against Germany. She says she would have loved to play for her country in Fed Cup, but she and Prpic have been having some problems since Wimbledon 2003 when he was her coach.
- Her dream is to come back to Croatia again and live there and she says it will happen very soon.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Re: Mirjana Lucic wants to win Grand Slams, thinks her comeback will be "an explosion"

Surely her IW prize money should fund her next few tournaments?

I wish her the best, I really do, but I think she has a serious attitude problem. She seems to feel that she is owed support, money and WCs, she doesn't seem prepared to work her way up. She is not penniless, she could use her IW prize money to get to the challengers within driving distance of her home and build up her ranking and win more prize money. But she doesn't want to do that, she'd prefer to whine about how people aren't supporting her enough.

Similarly, her results aren't good enough to put her in Croatia's Fed Cup team, I don't think she has the right to be annoyed about that. If she'd asked to practice with them and been rejected, I'd understand her annoyance but the captain has to select the players who he thinks are best and, at the moment, it's perfectly reasonable not to include her. Plus, if she has the money to travel to a Fed Cup tie in Europe then her claim not to have enough money to play other tournaments looks quite fishy to me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: Mirjana Lucic wants to win Grand Slams, thinks her comeback will be "an explosion"

Go Lucic.. I remember watching her at Wimbledon that YEAR!! I am pulling for you BOO!!!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts

Surely her IW prize money should fund her next few tournaments?

I wish her the best, I really do, but I think she has a serious attitude problem. She seems to feel that she is owed support, money and WCs, she doesn't seem prepared to work her way up. She is not penniless, she could use her IW prize money to get to the challengers within driving distance of her home and build up her ranking and win more prize money. But she doesn't want to do that, she'd prefer to whine about how people aren't supporting her enough.

Similarly, her results aren't good enough to put her in Croatia's Fed Cup team, I don't think she has the right to be annoyed about that. If she'd asked to practice with them and been rejected, I'd understand her annoyance but the captain has to select the players who he thinks are best and, at the moment, it's perfectly reasonable not to include her. Plus, if she has the money to travel to a Fed Cup tie in Europe then her claim not to have enough money to play other tournaments looks quite fishy to me.
no one wanted to give her a Wc's in the last 3-4 weeks in Usa

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Re: Mirjana Lucic wants to win Grand Slams, thinks her comeback will be "an explosion

no one wanted to give her a Wc's in the last 3-4 weeks in Usa
What do other players who are starting out in their careers do? Wait for WCs? No, they play events that they don't need a ranking for.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,499 Posts

but it seems her big mouth is still better then her tennis

·
Registered
923 Posts

Hopefully she can work hard and reap the benefits!

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Re: Mirjana Lucic wants to win Grand Slams, thinks her comeback will be "an explosion

What do other players who are starting out in their careers do? Wait for WCs? No, they play events that they don't need a ranking for.
unless they're brie whitehead....lol

·
Registered
21,059 Posts

She needs to think bigger like Sesil. She needs to think THUNDEROUS!!!!

·
Registered
21,146 Posts

Well, let's wait and see! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39,699 Posts

but it seems her big mouth is still better then her tennis
Exactly, though her tennis CAN (I say can) be quite well, too.

·
Banned
189 Posts

it's too late for her. give up the ghost sugar. didnt she start out with venus, anna, serena and hingis?, that's a long time ago to start with nothing.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,499 Posts

i have the feeling her talk about a bright future is just a tactic to get WC or money from people who start to believe in her again

if she really believe in herself she wouldn´t have a problem to play lower tournaments because then she would win this tournaments and would be soon on a ranking which allow her to enter tournaments directly

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

Good Luck Mirjana, lets stay positive!!

·
Registered
34,672 Posts

Mirjana's talking a big game there. :eek: Frankly I would have preferred to hear her say 'I'm just gonna try to work my way back into the top 100 and see how high I can go from there'. I think that's much more realistic and attainable than "being on top and winning slams". But it does show that she believes in herself and her abilities, which is only a good thing. Hopefully that translates to her results.

Life seems to be treating her well at the moment despite the troubles that she still faces. I'm happy for her and ecstatic that after this event, she will have an official ranking and will be able to enter tournaments without WC's if necessary. :cool: I really hope we get to see her on TV at some point this year, I miss seeing her play. :hearts:

·
Registered
904 Posts

how old is she?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts