Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm glad she is taking some time off. She has a lot of points to defend in September and needs to be well-rested to play her best.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
So she plays Stanford and then Q of both Rogers Cup and Cincinnati.

Here's a little TBT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWSQX9jrDM
you can see the changing of the guard regarding the type of game style that flourished in the mid 90's and the one which would dominate the late 90's-2000's at Wimbledon. Lucic playing the powerful baseline game that could work on any surface, and Tauziat with the serve and volley and slice bh.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you seen QF of WTA this week? So so weak.

I hope this break pays off.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
The next two months we'll see what sense of urgency she has, how she wants to finish her year (and set herself up for 2016) and how eager she is to fight.

I still think she must be BUMMED about Wimbledon; she had the eventual finalist in a winnable match.

She knows Wimbledon comes once a year and she's getting old. Has to sting a bit.

And let's be real: Miki could damn well win the US Open. She's a Top 50 player.

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That draw in Florianapolis.

It's on clay, but I think Mirjana would be 1st favorite for title. She would also be 1st seed.

Due to not playing in recent weeks and the fact that at ''weak'' tournaments lower ranked girls get many points she's down to #86 in race.

At this moment, I would be OK with top 70 finish to the year.

If she could somehow collect 150 points in Stanford+Montreal+Cincinnati she would be in good position for the rest of the year. She maybe easily could have won that points in Florianapolis. But she decided to focus on the rest of the year. Maybe good. By doing that her chances of having some big run in upcoming weeks are bigger.

She is always rusty after summer break. But despite that I can't wait to see her in Stanford. If she could bring the level of play from Roland Garros or Wimbledon she could do really good on super fast courts. On the other hand, I still do remember that horror from last year.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
That draw in Florianapolis.

It's on clay, but I think Mirjana would be 1st favorite for title. She would also be 1st seed.

Due to not playing in recent weeks and the fact that at ''weak'' tournaments lower ranked girls get many points she's down to #86 in race.

At this moment, I would be OK with top 70 finish to the year.

If she could somehow collect 150 points in Stanford+Montreal+Cincinnati she would be in good position for the rest of the year. She maybe easily could have won that points in Florianapolis. But she decided to focus on the rest of the year. Maybe good. By doing that her chances of having some big run in upcoming weeks are bigger.

She is always rusty after summer break. But despite that I can't wait to see her in Stanford. If she could bring the level of play from Roland Garros or Wimbledon she could do really good on super fast courts. On the other hand, I still do remember that horror from last year.
I KNOW. Believe me. Luckily her superb performances at the US Open and Quebec drove that from my mind. A bit portentous that Venus was a few feet away, watching Miki get plonked by Raquel Kops-J (because she played the winner of the qualifying match) and little did Venus know that such a crappy Miki would absolutely CRUSH her a month later!

These girls know anything is possible, though. You can bet on that. It's sport.

i always get tickets/passes for the B O' the W and usually can make it, but not so sure this year. Lots going on, and I expect Miki will play Tuesday-ish. Gonna try to be there. Love the event, but I truly don't think that shitty court favors Miki. It's the most claustrophobic "center court" I have ever seen at an event of that caliber. I would not be comfortable with my game on that court because I also hit hard from the baseline and like room to fall back or come forward, and like to see my opponent "pushed back," but you cannot push back or get the sense of pushing back on that cramped main court! It's the worst main court in women's tennis.

The outside courts, adjacent to the swimming stadium, are much more suitable and "normal." I feel the Laube Family Tennis Center needs a major upgrade, but the Bank of the West event has had a rocky history, and take it from someone who started going there when it was held in Oakland in 1995.

Damn you, Monica Seles. Last Minute Pull-Out. :rolleyes:

The most boring courtside final EVER against (naturally) the most depressing "stabbing" Maleeva and Ai Sugiyama.

Indoors.

I wish Miki had played D.C. for a change, but I guess she knows what she's doing. She's a Top 50 Player, now. Let's see some POWER!!!!:bounce:

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
If Mirjana had vultured the weak Internationals this year and had won one of them, she would be only ~100-150 points from a new CH ranking.

Is there an emoji for :sigh: ?

·
Registered
16,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mirjana #50 this week. All this girls ranked lower are now winning tournaments and getting higher.

One week left.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I KNOW. Believe me. Luckily her superb performances at the US Open and Quebec drove that from my mind. A bit portentous that Venus was a few feet away, watching Miki get plonked by Raquel Kops-J (because she played the winner of the qualifying match) and little did Venus know that such a crappy Miki would absolutely CRUSH her a month later!

These girls know anything is possible, though. You can bet on that. It's sport.

i always get tickets/passes for the B O' the W and usually can make it, but not so sure this year. Lots going on, and I expect Miki will play Tuesday-ish. Gonna try to be there. Love the event, but I truly don't think that shitty court favors Miki. It's the most claustrophobic "center court" I have ever seen at an event of that caliber. I would not be comfortable with my game on that court because I also hit hard from the baseline and like room to fall back or come forward, and like to see my opponent "pushed back," but you cannot push back or get the sense of pushing back on that cramped main court! It's the worst main court in women's tennis.

The outside courts, adjacent to the swimming stadium, are much more suitable and "normal." I feel the Laube Family Tennis Center needs a major upgrade, but the Bank of the West event has had a rocky history, and take it from someone who started going there when it was held in Oakland in 1995.

Damn you, Monica Seles. Last Minute Pull-Out. :rolleyes:

The most boring courtside final EVER against (naturally) the most depressing "stabbing" Maleeva and Ai Sugiyama.

Indoors.

I wish Miki had played D.C. for a change, but I guess she knows what she's doing. She's a Top 50 Player, now. Let's see some POWER!!!!:bounce:
I am visiting relatives in the Sacramento region from July 29-Aug. 5. I am going to try to drive down to Stanford for Mirjana's first round, whatever session it is. Going to get a cheap bleacher seat.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I am visiting relatives in the Sacramento region from July 29-Aug. 5. I am going to try to drive down to Stanford for Mirjana's first round, whatever session it is. Going to get a cheap bleacher seat.
You should be able to get a great seat with a perfect view for not a lot of dough, not only because the stadium itself is very compact, but the early rounds of this event are not heavily attended, at least since I've been going. Play also happens on the adjacent court facing the swimming center, and is fun to watch from the balcony side.

That being said, if you drive down from Sac'to, make sure to set your GPS system to the actual address of the Laub Family Tennis Center because it's a convoluted system of roads on the campus and the tennis center is a little bit difficult to find amid the many buildings. There's a good-sized parking lot only a block away, near the race-track that abuts the tennis center. I'd even do a Google Earth "view" if I were you, just to see the layout.

I have to set my GPS every year because it's easy to get lost on campus.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Guys, she can't play every week. She is older and prone to injury; after a couple of tournaments she usually has heavy wrapping on her thigh and shoulder. She needs to peak for hardcourt season, not take a 10 hour flight to play in some random clay event where she would likely lose early and miss hardcourt training time.

1 - 20 of 552 Posts