Tennis Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Don't forget a couple of AVN awards.
Who could forget those triumphs?! 2010 and 2016, right?

You won the first one, and then graciously accepted the other for What The Deuce, who was fighting off paparazzi and recovering in St.Tropez from a Brazilian bikini wax that had gone awry.

[*those wonderful days*]

Well, it only proves our collective Miki-Superiority.

If “others” do not meet our standards, we can only pray for them.

Which we are glad to do, because MIKI would want us to.

That is Miki’s Gospel.

(and I just KNOW that the gorgeous DELANEY-woman is sitting on at least three BAFTAs—she’s just too SHY to parade her hardware ? )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
And, IMO, any “financial source” that is paying for Alexandra Stevenson, age 37-going-on-12, to FLY, in 2018, with her omnipresent and practically mummified MOTHER, all the way to the UK to play QUALIFYING of a 25K, is either a 99 yr.-old emphysematic millionaire being threatened with kitchen utensils *and* VOODOO, or else other, more heinous grifting is going on.

Who these two dimwits con into paying their expenses is anyone’s guess, but there’s a sucker born every minute, according to P.T. Barnum.

Truly, it must be wheezing, octogenarian, Republican tennis-club members with their teeth in bedside jars ...
Alexandra's father is NBA Hall of Famer Julius Erving. He's loaded.

For Mirjana, I could see her coming back post-US Open. By that point in the season, the players are pretty beat up and the indoor surfaces will suit her game.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Interesting theory but I just can't see it :sobbing:
Exactly.

She’s weighed the FACTS and is moving on.

The writing has been on the wall since last year, she’s a smart woman, and ... it’s just time.

I believe that Mirjana achieved so much fabulousness last year (beginning with Australia) and posted a wonderful string of follow-up results, but ...

... I think Miki just burned OUT, mentally and physically, and who on this earth could question it?

A whole new set of pressures (Top 20, seeded at Grand Slam events, seeded even higher at smaller events, the entourage, the excitement ...)

SHE’S AN OLD LADY!

Her body must be hurtin and her head must be spent. Clear on both counts.

Like SERVivor said, and so many in our little group have said, her successes since 2014 have been sheer gravy.

For Mirjana to become this good required work that we’ll never know. We’ll never know the blood, sweat, and tears that woman put into the offcourt training.

And then, maybe, MAYBE, you get one match a week to prove yourself. Much less a run, or a few runs, which Mirjana was thankfully able to achieve!

Given that we really don’t know anything official (but it seems obvious) I could PERHAPS see her trying to play qualifying at Wimby ...

No. She won’t. She isn’t.

This Lady left all of it out on the court.

Her past family issues may have been horrifying, but her personal and professional “conquering” of those issue remains one of the most inspiring, blazing stories I have ever seen in pro tennis.

This girl beat ALL HER DEMONS.

And she has a great life lined-up, a great family (I have learned that Croatians actually CARE more about family than a lot of other jaded folk in the West) and she’s got some nice money, and she also has ALL the goodwill of people in the sport’s infrastructure.

Maybe Miki will have some babies and completely leave tennis, and enjoy the sultry Florida life, and/or the wonderful Italian/Croatian visits ...

But she could be a SUPERIOR commentator, if she wanted. Or get into the politics of the game, as she herself implied last month, when discussion turned to unionization, etc.

Just think of seeing Miki’s happy face and hearing her voice in these capacities. We’d all love it.

I’ll miss her an awful lot. She added a bright note to my life. I don’t even see the flops, right now. Zero. I must her many successes and impossible comebacks and gritty wins.

Every match was a ride.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
And, yes, I am VERY SAD, by gosh.

I feel like we’re probably losing a good friend, our awesome Miki.

?

And I am not ashamed to say it.

I’ll miss this woman’s ongoing story. I’ll miss her presence in tennis.

Terrible analogy, but it’s like seeing a racehorse go down. (I always cry at horse-movies ... don’t get me near Seabiscuit. ? ? )

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
What happened to Mirjana? Where's she been? :confused:
Official story is that she’s sidelined by a chronic shoulder injury. Might return eventually with a provisional ranking, might not.

She’d been in a spiral almost the very moment she first crack the Top 20 a year ago, after her tremendous string of results in Australia, Acapulco, Miami, Charleston.

Started blowing leads (e.g. Sharapova in Germany and Italy), losing her prior confidence.

Froze in the headlights in R1 in Paris against a tomato can player.

The rot culminated in probably the worst choke of her career, Wimbledon R1, leading 5-1, MP against Witthoeft. Lost.

Played sketchy ball during the Summer but managed a couple of ugly “revenge wins” by beating Kontaveitt and then Puig in US Open R1, but in R2 had big lead and MP against nemesis Suarez-Navarro and choked again.

Took the rest of the year off, with nothing extra to cushion her while defending big results in Jan-May 2018.

She did well to win a couple of tough matches in Australia (Tatiana Maria and then Shelby Rogers in Melbourne R1) but was unceremoniously dumped in OZ Open R2 by Sasnovic.

Hasn’t been back since. Apparently parted ways with coach, ranking now in the toilet, etc.

Ostensibly rehabbing shoulder, but I think it was a combination of shoulder issues and mental yips. Quite understandable, at this late stage.

I guess a provisional ranking would allow her 8 MD entries. If she came back next year, she could play all the Grand Slams, at least. If only to say farewell (and make some sweet money.)

But it would require a tremendous effort in training, rebuilding a team, to say nothing about the rustiness. I doubt she’d want to go out of tennis losing 8 matches in a row, which is not inconceivable (she lost 7 in a row during 2017’s “banner year” slump.)

Would be nice to see her give it one final go-round. Who knows? I have my doubts.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Bradaric is working with Fett only until MLB is back. She will probably be back at Stanford.
It’s the Silicon Valley Classic, now. Being held at San Jose State Uni tennis center. Only an hour’s drive for me (actually a little bit closer than Stanford). I have tickets for the semis and finals.

If she comes back with a PR, I imagine it would have to be used for qualifying, because it’s a 32-draw event, not counting byes for the top 4. I believe her PR would be around 69. Might sneak into MD with a PR of 69.

She’ll be ranked pretty lowly, otherwise. Maybe in the 200s.

Well, if she’s gonna try to return, she’s gotta start somewhere. A new NorCal setting might be a good place to do it.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts