Tennis Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Not on list for Australian so this is it unless she out of nowhere appears at some challenger before January 20th.

What a ride it has been.
Yep.

it was a hell of a ride.

Thanks for posting the videos.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is it official that Miki has retired?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I don't think so. But, for practical purposes, it seems she is not coming back.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hope springs eternal, fellow Lucicians!

Or, at least, it hops a bit, if not quite springs and leaps.

It seems we have finally been blessed with an update from Mirjana herself, courtesy of one of her Facebook fan pages:

Hi everyone,
After further injuring my shoulder at the Australian Open I am forced to miss my favorite tournament Indian Wells and Miami as well.I am doing everything in my power to get back on court as soon as possible and as healthy as possible .
I thank you all for continued support.
Love,
Mirjana

It looks like she fully intends to come back—maybe with that protected ranking we’ve been pondering—late this year or early next year?

I was thinking yesterday that she could STILL play qualifying at both the French Open and Wimbledon, if healthy enough to do so.

Maybe qualifying of a few clay warm-up events? Maybe a wild card main draw opportunity at the Bol WTA 125 that ma re mentioned?

That would be so great.

Her overall tennis game/form was still Top 50-ish, even with the shoulder and nerves.

She has long gotten into that pattern, that foundation, of playing safer percentages and always moving to control the middle of the court, move forward to net a bit. (Instead of just purpose-less, scatterbrained shotmaking ALL the time.)

The game that she’s been working to tighten is still “there.”

If she plays quallies in Paris, for example, I could see her making it through and winning some rounds ... up goes the ranking.

Anyhow, if anyone hears news about an imminent return, share share share.

(And Happy Birthday to Miss Mirjana—she’s 36 today!)
If Kim Clijsters can come back and compete well against Muguruza, after having three children, why can't Mirjana join her and bring alot of joy to her fans. She was gone for years because she simply was happy being married and enjoying life with her husband in Sarasota, FL, so why not give it one last shot and see just how well she can do?
You never know unless you try!

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Seems she’s too injured, otherwise she would have been back by now. And with no protected ranking...
Yes, I think that's what Mikireturns was going with, her shoulder issue just wouldn't go away (that's the reason she stopped playing in the first place) so after all this time it's hard to believe in a return anymore.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts