Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grrrrrr:mad: :fiery: :mad: , it's so annoying.

I am running Windows ME in my computer.

Microsoft considered Windows 95/98 as business and home OS, while NT was a business OS. So, most of the features were available to all of them.

After Windows 2000 and ME, they separated them, and they continue that with XP. As a result, some business applications won't run in Windows ME or XP home edition :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

I needed to install the Microsoft Personal Web Server, which is a software that allows you to run a web server locally and it's useful to test some features that require http access, such as ASP for example, in Windows 2000 or XP proffessional, those features are provided but IIS (internet information services).

Well, I installed the freaking software and it did not work :sad: so, I went to the Microsoft web page and searched the knowledge database, I didn't find anything related to ME but it says if you have Windows XP home edition and you wish to run IIS, you need to upgrade to Windows XP Proffessional.

That truly sucks, I don't want to reformat my harddisk to install Windows 98, which sucks btw, and I won't upgrade to XP now because the proffessional version which I would need is too expensive.

So, I only can test ASP on a real web server that runs IIS, which is a pain :mad: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :mad:

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: @ Bill Gates.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
windows xp sucks, cd`s who worked well on 98 don`t work anymore and explorer doesn`t work well either, the only good thing about xp is that it looks nicer!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Windows 2000, ME and XP have a big improvement that many users could not be aware of, they changed the winsock (finally), Windows 9x used a winsock dated back to windows 3.x and the new TCP/IP is much more efficient.

The other big advantage of Windows XP/2000 proffessional is IIS, if you develop web applications it's very useful, otherwise there is no point on upgrading, of course, if you buy a new computer, it will come with Windows XP, whether you like it or not :p (unless you buy a imac)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts