Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chang wins opening-round match

Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - Michael Chang, the former French Open champion playing in his last year on the ATP Tour, overcame strong winds in outlasting Jose De Armas 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 Tuesday in the opening round of the Forest Hills Tennis Classic.

The clay court match at the West Side Tennis Club lasted 2 hours, 15 minutes and it ended in dusk as the players battled winds up to 20 mph that caused several interruptions during serves.

"The chilly weather (50 degrees) was tough," said Chang, 31, who won the French Open in 1989 for his lone Grand Slam title. "However, the winds were the biggest challenge. Jose was a good opponent who gave me a battle."

Chang, unseeded in the $50,000, 32-man tournament, has earned $19 million since turning pro in 1988.

"I'm not looking ahead," he said. "I'm going to the French Open and then Wimbledon and the U.S. Open will be my final tournament.

"Right now, however, my concentration is on this tournament and I'm taking it one match at a time."

In other matches involving seeded players on Tuesday, No. 3 Cecil Mamiit defeated Eric Taino 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 and No. 4 Ivan Miranda of Peru beat Ignacio Hirigoyen of Argentina 7-5, 6-1.

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
thanks for posting this article :)

chang, ai, poor chang, declining too soon, i remember just at 26, he began his decline :sad:

good luck for chang in the coming tournaments :) :angel:

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
Good luck Chang :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts