Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I don't like them. Why did they drop the value of the lower tiers? Now winnning a Tier I is worth 5 times as much as winning a Tier V, compared to about 3 times as much last year.

IMO, they overadjusted. This will make it much tougher for up and coming players to get into higher tier main draws, beating out players who have already had the huge benefit of gaining points at those tiers.

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
Where u been DH ??

i gave out this info early November before WTA released it officially.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Anyway I guess the point is:

"This will make it much tougher for up and coming players to get into higher tier main draws, beating out players who have already had the huge benefit of gaining points at those tiers."

I wonder what consequences this will have in the rest of the year.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Winning a Tier I is tougher because the competition is tougher. IMO, they should have just changed the quality points. Beating a top player should be deemed more important than getting to the quarterfinals of a tournament by beating low ranked players.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Oh and maybe they should give points per set. I often feel sad when a low ranked player puts up a great fight against a top player, taking the match to three sets, yet she doesn't get any points for fighting hard.
Maya Matevzic went out in the first round at Wimbledon...yet, you should have seen that match!
Think of Daniela Hantuchova versus Venus Williams.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Hmm, I'm a bit dubious about anything that gives points for essentially, losing (round points are different).

The best way imo for someone like Daniela to learn is that, next time she has to win!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts