Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Likewise to the IW matches thread:

I'll start with Hingis - Davenport 2000
although Miami was never Lindsay's favourite hunting ground.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,324 Posts
Golovin-Sharapova was the first that came to mind. Great tennis and some riveting drama

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Serena saving two match points against Henin in 2007 final

And in stark contrast, the following year Serena beat Henin 6-2 6-0 in the quarterfinal

·
Registered
823 Posts
I remember the next match where Petkovic came up against Sharapova and had game points in EVERY single game but found herself down 63 06 05(maybe 04 then 25)......it was crazy how close the match was yet Sharapova was clutch on the game point conversions.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(devastating if you are a fan of Gaby, ecstatic emotions for Kimiko fans)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
Sharapova vs Dulgheru was some drama

Also fondly remember very raw Gavrilova beating Sharapova, a dream come true for her. Sharapova just couldn't find a way past her (the footspeed of Gavrilova!). This was the match that made me love Gavrilova, though her form has sunk deep since 2018.

Li Na vs Wozniacki 2014 - bit messy at times but a good contest, and Li showed nice play at the net too. Wozniacki would do very well by year end.

Venus Williams vs CSN. First set was vintage Venus, just unstoppable. Carla adapted though with more potency and depth on her shots, and came back to win. Her FH just killed Venus from the 2nd set on.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Miami also felt more like the “5th” slam to me. So many great moments way back was it was the Lipton Open to the Sony Ericsson Open and Sony Open.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Watching these Key Biscayne matches makes me realize how stupid it was to move the tournament to awful Hard Rock stadium.
I loved KB, the stadium and surroundings, the atmosphere, the crowd, entertaining matches.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
For some reason, Kuznetsova v. Hingis in 2006 features prominently in my memories.

·
Registered
39,300 Posts
The Halep-Pennetta match in 2015 was of awesome quality. Much better than their US Open and YEC matches that year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts