Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ivanovic, Zvonareva, Safina, Jankovic, and Petrova all out of SonyEricsson Open in early rounds. What a hot mess! :rolleyes:

·
Isha > Your fave
26,632 Posts
Serena, Venus, Sveta, Mauresmo, are still in. Thats 20 Grandslams right there!

Plus Vika, Dementieva, Aga, Caro are still there. Way better than Indian Wells.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Ivanovic, Zvonareva, Safina, Jankovic, and Petrova all out of SonyEricsson Open in early rounds. What a hot mess! :rolleyes:
Gee. But I thought this was supposed to be indicative of the great competitive depth of the WTA etc. - or whatever. :rolleyes:
I know you're being sarcastic here, but it's at least half-way to being a mess.

That said, I agree with reetard. Unless there are some spectacular melt-downs, I doubt Miami is going to top the horror of IW... At least, I hope not.

And is "slumping" the new euphemism for 'can't-get-it together-and-string-together-a-few-consecutive wins?' :eek:

·
Registered
114,714 Posts
The top seeds who are still in this draw had 2 weeks off.
The players who worked at IW are out, except for Azarenka.
Maybe a coincidence, maybe players want a week off in between the 2 tournaments

·
Registered
53,535 Posts
your thread sucks. come up with something original. :yawn:

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
I'm tired of the horrible coverage. :eek:

Miami and Indian Wells are known to be two of the biggest tournaments outside of the Grand Slams and Fox Sports Net has them. :help:

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
It's still much better than IW at this stage. Largely thanks to the Williams sisters.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Not as bad as IW but I only have Dementieva and Jie left. :(

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
your thread sucks. come up with something original. :yawn:
Yea, that tool totally plagerised the thread I started stating that IW was a hot mess after 16 of the top 32 seeds fell by the end of the second round. The difference in Miami is the fact that Venus and Serena and some other top players are still in the draw, where as at IW the seeds didn't take full advantage of Venus and Serena not playing there. And lets be honest about the depth of the mens game; either Nadal, Federer or Murray will win the tournament, like all the other big ones so far this year.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
is there anything to surprise at??? the players you listed there, shouldn't they be ousted?
it would amaze me if they all won...wta now sucks in a major way...

·
Registered
12,186 Posts

I totally agree. JJ is a different player ever since Hong Kong. Ana's final at IW was a fluke really so it was Vera winning the title. Did anyone think she was playing amazing tennis?. The same can be said for Safina, we all saw her run at the AO and how she did when facing a good player. No big upsets there.

Serena, Venus, Dementieva, Azarenka and even Amelie (yes, she played great in Paris) are currently the players to beat, not because of their rankings but because of how they've been playing. I think Miami is turning out to be quite exciting actually. We have two high profile potential SFs: The WS in the top half and Lena vs. Vika in the bottom. They are our BIG FOUR right now and they are still going on. :bounce:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

I agree!

·
Registered
519 Posts
But last year it wasn't like this. Do you think it has something with the roadmap or just a bad day at the job?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I totally agree. JJ is a different player ever since Hong Kong. Ana's final at IW was a fluke really so it was Vera winning the title. Did anyone think she was playing amazing tennis?. The same can be said for Safina, we all saw her run at the AO and how she did when facing a good player. No big upsets there.

Serena, Venus, Dementieva, Azarenka and even Amelie (yes, she played great in Paris) are currently the players to beat, not because of their rankings but because of how they've been playing. I think Miami is turning out to be quite exciting actually. We have two high profile potential SFs: The WS in the top half and Lena vs. Vika in the bottom. They are our BIG FOUR right now and they are still going on. :bounce:
:hatoff: Good post. Nothing but truths in it. And as another poster pointed out earlier, there are a lot more slam winners remaining here than in IW.

Aside from Azarenka's play against Safina, the latter rounds of IW were truly dire. No tension, just lousy form beating lousier form.

The real problem isn't upsets -- they can be exciting, even if today's weren't exactly surprising -- but that the calibre of tennis is off. For example, I'd be a lot more thrilled about Agi Szavay beating Ana if the stats didn't show a break fest with a lot of double faults.

Frankly, Venus and Serena and Elena are the only dependable players left when it comes to strong hard court play. The rest are really streaky. But I'm hoping one or two of them (Azarenka or Momo or Kleybanova for ex) play some inspired tennis.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts