Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Muchova

Votes: 38 55.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these players are all pushing and threatening to breakthrough, but not quite 'up & coming' having been around awhile already.

Who do you think will achieve the highest peak out of this bunch? And what do you think their highest peak will be?

Wasn't sure if I should include Brady in this, but I feel like she has already 'broken through' with a GS final to her name. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
34,104 Posts
Kaja has the most talent and the most mental strength.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I would say Mertens & Muchova for different reasons.

Elise is already a very reliable player and although you would think it's unlikely that she could win a slam, I think her consistency will actually help her.
Karolina Muchova has a very dynamic game and has showed this year despite lack of match play, she can challenge the very best. I believe her peak is the best, followed by Elise.
Kontaveit is a nice player, but lacks the wow factor, Ons is just not fit enough, and wants to entertain, but is too inconsistent.
Sakkari, not sure, I think she is almost the fittest player on tour, but I think her mental game is not good enough.
Just my opinions from watching all of them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have been waiting for Mertens to breakthrough for a while considering how solid she is...Kaja has the game but she does seem to have a fragile body...she gets injured quite often which is my biggest worry about her. She still hasn't played a full schedule atleast in any year.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
943 Posts
Muchova easily, if she had been healthy after beating Ash, she most likely would've beaten Jen and would've had a great chance against Naomi in the final based on their recent meeting. She's going to be Top 10 by the end of this season easily, and I predict a great run at Wimbledon again for her.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
320 Posts
Muchova to me is the most talented player who also has beaten top3 players. Sometimes I found her not too cynical during her matches, but I believe with right coach she can be top 10

The second player is to me Sakkari. I like her fighting spirit and she can be also trained and inspired by Stefanos

Mertens very consistent but she does not have weapons. She will be top 15 for decades
Kontaveit must improve mental part, Ons should work on body & concentration

·
Milk and honey
4,023 Posts
Two are great workers who have admirable attitudes but have largely maximised their potential (Mertens, Sakkari), one had great potential but her game has massively stagnated (Kontaveit) and the remaining two, Muchova and Jabeur, both spent their early careers nowhere near where they should've been relative to their talent.

Muchova and Jabeur are without question the most talented duo of the 5 mentioned and the only contenders for the highest peak, but it's Muchova who is most likely to "peak" the highest as Jabeur seems more destined to be a top 30 mainstay than a top ten threat like Muchova. Even with Muchova, she hasn't resembled consistency yet herself so it's tough to say if she will get there either - she definitely has the best shot, though.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Muchova by some distance.
Jabeur is not fit enough and too nonchalant.

·
Registered
115,447 Posts
It depends on their mental game. Sabalenka's best win at a major is round 3. So its about playing well when the pressure is on. The first time or 2 is much less pressure than when you are trying to be a consistent elite YEC player
If I guessed, I would say Sakkari, because I havent seen enough to think she cant. But it will test her mental toughness

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Another vote for Muchova here. She's a great athlete and I think the most naturally talented of the lot. She does seem quite injury prone which is obviously a big issue at the moment. I would love to see her winning a slam though. She's beautiful to watch.

Mertens and Sakkari are obviously hard workers and very fit. I'm not sure if they've got what it takes to make a huge breakthrough but I also wouldn't be surprised to see either in a GS semi or final at some point. Kontaveit always strikes me as one of those consistent players who often makes the 3rd or 4th round and has a good but not outstanding career. Jabeur has a lot of talent but I think lacks the fitness and consistency to go much further than she already has.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With the right coach, Mertens would be in a grand slam final. Give her Cahill, and she's there.
Not sure what I think of Muchova. Love the all court game, serve seems not a weapon.
Of Jabeur, I love the game, but have no faith in the body.
Sakkari, does she have the mental toughness for the big time?
Kontaveit strikes me as another Sharapova-clone. Maybe Badosa has a greater upside?

·
Registered
Novak Djokovic, Bianca Andreescu, Simona Halep
149 Posts
Kontaveit has the weakest peak. Nothing impressive in her game
Jabeur is talented but she is a choking mug and has no fitness.
Muchova has beaten Pliskova (2 times !), Barty, Muguruza in GS. Has beaten Osaka too. She is the most dangerous but must be more consistent.
Mertens is a low-cost Ferrer gatekeeper...
Sakkari is a fighter but don't have outstanding weapons and is prone to mental collapses in matches that matter. Losing to Trevisan and Mladenovic in GS is laughable...

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Muchova has a GS in her if she can manage her health. Her return of serve has improved massively this year. Her 2nd serve return used to be particularly tragic. Looks very strong mentally, and she's winning matches even though she can't serve big due to her abs problem.

Mertens has a good base level but cant really challenge the best. She can stay close though and wait for an opening, maybe one day the draw opens up for her.

I would count out the other 3.
Kontaveit has completely stagnated and doesnt stand out in any department.
Sakkari is a big headcase. All her excesive screaming, celebrating, fistpumping, POME, is to compensate for her confidence issues. At 25-26, I don't know how much room for improvement does she have there.
Jabeur, a flashy player for the highlights reel, but will likely end up with a Monfils-like career, maybe even worse.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Sakkari is a big headcase. All her excesive screaming, celebrating, fistpumping, POME, is to compensate for her confidence issues. At 25-26, I don't know how much room for improvement does she have there.
Jabeur, a flashy player for the highlights reel, but will likely end up with a Monfils-like career, maybe even worse.
PAME

1 - 19 of 19 Posts