Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anna K and the Swiss Miss ranked #3 on john aizelwood top 10 sporting catfights

3. Anna Kournikova And Martina Hingis. In 2000, the long suffering folk of Santiago, Chile finally had something to cheer their troubled souls when those tennis ambassadresses, Kournikova and Hingis, agreed to take part in an exhibition match (albeit for the nations's gross domestic product, but that's a side issue). The friendly facade lasted until Hingis disputed a line call and Kournikova refused to yield. As they crossed over, Hingis sneered, "You think you are the tennis queen, but I am!" Kournikova simply reminded her who was the more marketable, and that's where the sporting instinct stopped. Later in the dressing room there is screaming and hair-pulling, which resulted in Kournikova being sacked from their partnership for several years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...058765,00.html

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
Ai said:
Anna K and the Swiss Miss ranked #3 on john aizelwood top 10 sporting catfights

3. Anna Kournikova And Martina Hingis. In 2000, the long suffering folk of Santiago, Chile finally had something to cheer their troubled souls when those tennis ambassadresses, Kournikova and Hingis, agreed to take part in an exhibition match (albeit for the nations's gross domestic product, but that's a side issue). The friendly facade lasted until Hingis disputed a line call and Kournikova refused to yield. As they crossed over, Hingis sneered, "You think you are the tennis queen, but I am!" Kournikova simply reminded her who was the more marketable, and that's where the sporting instinct stopped. Later in the dressing room there is screaming and hair-pulling, which resulted in Kournikova being sacked from their partnership for several years.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...058765,00.html

:haha:

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
:haha: Is this true? :lol: And is this the incident where somebody threw a bouquet of flowers at the other? :scratch: I seem to remember somebody mentioning that a while ago on these boards...

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
There was alot of talk about this happening at the time of the event... :shrug: as to whether it's true or not! ;)

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
:haha:

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
:spit:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Ai said:
"You think you are the tennis queen, but I am!"
:retard:

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could say something so gutwrenchingly cringeworthy, and suggest that this part was dreamt up by some sweaty pot bellied middle aged sports reporter (aren't they all?) as he loosened his pants at the thought of a cat fight between Anna Kournikova and, well, anyone.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Venus Envy tells the story a little differently....

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
And the tennis queen quote is correct

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
JonBcn said:
:retard:

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could say something so gutwrenchingly cringeworthy, and suggest that this part was dreamt up by some sweaty pot bellied middle aged sports reporter (aren't they all?) as he loosened his pants at the thought of a cat fight between Anna Kournikova and, well, anyone.
....Pam Shriver? ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Was this incident the original "Locker Room Confrontation"? :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts