Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think one of the big things that lets me down is my poor mentality...

Anyone have any tips for dealing with mental pressure put on by yourself or by your opponent? For example, I know coaches often say "Focus on winning the point, don't focus on the overall score." However, this is hard, as it's important to remember the score as there's no umpire or anyone else to announce it....

Another thing that bugs me is sometimes I get occupied about my grip.. Especially if I mishit a ball, I will be thinking, maybe I have the wrong grip. It doesn't help that then my hands get sweaty etc.

I have also heard that it's best to believe it's ok to make mistakes. Another tip was to come up with a routine response after making a mistake, such as brushing yourself as if you are brushing away the mistake...

·
Registered
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try concentrating on the ball. I mean really concentrate on just looking at the ball right up until you hit it.

That way, you take your attention away from everything else.
Yes, that is a good tip.. I guess it's about making the best shot you can with the ball that comes back at you. Often I am trying to think about where my opponent is and where they are going..

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maintain your focus and don't become too discouraged, no matter how your match is going. Champs tend to have mental toughness and stay mentally strong until the match is over. You can grip your racket handle in whatever spot makes you comfortable. Try using a hand towel.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Yes for sure mental focus is so crucial, if you lose focus then your level will just naturally drop because you're not in the moment. Believe me I struggle with this!

But some keys to help with that...

1. Give yourself a routine: for example, go back to your towel to wipe off your sweat every third point, or every time you have game or break point. This allows you to take an extra moment, relax and think about what you must do to win this next point

2. Don't think about the match score, only focus on the game score. The match does not matter, only the game. And if you when more games than your opponent, you will probably win the match ;)

3. Do not check your phone or anything outside during the match, such an easy way to lose concentration!

4. Before each point, give yourself a plan for the point: for example, this point I'm going to hit a deep cross-court backhand and come into the net

Hope some of that helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Believe that you will hit that ball more than your opponent does. Confidence and assurance to self is key!! Also, breathe deeply before starting the match. It gets the jitters out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I feel pressure, I take some water breaks. Usually, the opponents join me for these little breaks, exchange some jokes... suddenly I realize what I came here for... to have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As lots of people say really important to focus on the ball and the breathing out also can help. Guys like Nadal and all do attention on keeping there hear full of details, focusing on everything on the present 'now'. So all the little routine habits he have are done for not giving time to think about silly thing or bad tension. As his head is full of details of present "now" so it's more easier to stay focus and act in the present point.

------------------------------------

https://www.mauritiustennisacademy.com

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
You can improve focus when you have a score keeper like the pros do

I think one of the big things that lets me down is my poor mentality...

Anyone have any tips for dealing with mental pressure put on by yourself or by your opponent? For example, I know coaches often say "Focus on winning the point, don't focus on the overall score." However, this is hard, as it's important to remember the score as there's no umpire or anyone else to announce it....
Try the new patented izzers score keeper that is easy to mark and easy to read. Top academies are starting to use it. It weighs only 3 grams. The stringers at the National Campus tested it, it does not change the play of the racket. A Div 2 NCAA player used it in the number one spot. It has been tested in a 3-hour pro match by a player who has 128 mph serves. There is nothing better than being able to play and stay in the moment. https://www.amazon.com/izzers-tennis-score-keeper/dp/B07HLHC86L/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=izzers&qid=1564413567&s=gateway&sr=8-2. It also comes in a four-pack so you can put it on all your rackets.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts