Tennis Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
There’s also lot of hype around 17 yo Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz who is 139 already also 18 yo italian Musetti. I expect both to make top 100 next year and along with Sinner they should be top players in the future.
Both are top 10 material imho if they don’t have injures or other problems that cut their normal progression.
Yes those other boys are also hyped up as next big thing. Its always nice to follow the new kids at boys and girls side. But I don’t like too much hype. Give the young ones space to develop instead to think he or she is the nexts Federer Nadal Serena or Maria

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't even think this will affect his sponsorship opportunities much, maybe only give the sponsors cause to negotiate a slightly cheaper deal for themselves. Almost no one outside tennis twitter has paid attention to this, and in the tennis world he has both the ATP and the might of Federer/Team8 behind him.

Not that ATP has the will to do anything anyway, but even if they did, they probably lack the structure for it. There is no court case brought, no police report even, so if they wanted to sanction Zverev, they would need to open their own investigation into him, but I doubt they have anything in their organisation set up for such a task - they might have some disciplinary committee that decides what sanction is appropriate for what misdeed, but they're not equipped to handle a proper investigation.
I hope also he will lose his sponsors but as long he is under contract by Team8 he will not lose anything. We all know how powerful Tony and Roger are. Its her words against his so it’s a very difficult story 🧐
I listened to the Tennis Podcast on their discussion about this Zverev, Paris and uncomfortable silence and they were also noticing how bad Zverev and his management or PR is handling this as well as ATP. He was even reading his response from a mobile phone on his lap during the Paris press conference. His press releases are all about him and tennis and not even an ounce of humanity condemning domestic violence. Apparently, there is a rule in ATP's book that could apply "b) A player, or related person, that has at any time behaved in a manner severely damaging to the reputation of the sport may be deemed by virtue of such behavior to have engaged in conduct contrary to the integrity of the Game of Tennis and be in violation of this Section." but why ATP is not doing anything (also to sanction Basilashvili) is just beyond me.

·
Registered
19,872 Posts
I listened to the Tennis Podcast on their discussion about this Zverev, Paris and uncomfortable silence and they were also noticing how bad Zverev and his management or PR is handling this as well as ATP. He was even reading his response from a mobile phone on his lap during the Paris press conference. His press releases are all about him and tennis and not even an ounce of humanity condemning domestic violence. Apparently, there is a rule in ATP's book that could apply "b) A player, or related person, that has at any time behaved in a manner severely damaging to the reputation of the sport may be deemed by virtue of such behavior to have engaged in conduct contrary to the integrity of the Game of Tennis and be in violation of this Section." but why ATP is not doing anything (also to sanction Basilashvili) is just beyond me.
Well, Basilashvili is a basher, it's in his name, so he has an excuse.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Musetti is coming also. The future looks bright for italian male tennis
There are also Zeppieri and Nardi who are quite promising and with a nice game, although barely anyone knows who they are outside Italy because so far they've had no big results to gain some recognition.

Btw, what happened to Nicola Kuhn? I liked his game a lot and looked very promising a couple of years ago, but he's stagnated (or even regressed) since then, perennially stuck at low challenger level. His peer Davidovich, who seemed less promising back then, has way overtaken him establishing himself at ATP level, and now even the considerably younger Alcaraz has passed him both in ranking and results. I know he had some injuries, but I guess he must not feel very good at being overshadowed by newer prospects, as barely anyone talks about him anymore.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Interesting podcast

I can not understand how such a pro team as Team8 handle this mess so onproffesional
We havent heard a statement from Tony or Roger and the statement from Zverev himself is dumn and unbelieveble

There is so much damage control ..

this is also interesting

It looks like Olga most defend herself against him and used her nails

·
Registered
19,872 Posts
Or maybe he's into erotic asphyxiation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that Basilashvili's case went to court recently, so I think it's fair enough for them to wait until a verdict comes out, and then act. But it doesn't look like there will be any court case with Zverev, so they are stuck with this story hanging over him and ATP indefinitely. I assume they are waiting for it to just blow over and for people to forget, but the way twitter is going right now, I don't see it. The off-season would be a good time for ATP to run some sort of an investigation, get at least some conclusion before Australia. But it feels like ATP doesn't want to piss off their players, especially top players. Perhaps someone should ask PTPA (Djokovic and Pospisil's player association) what their stance is on issues such as this. :sneaky:

·
Registered
31,453 Posts

Why should ATP, or anyone else, have to investigate anything based on something somebody posted on instagram.

·
Registered
28,195 Posts
There are also Zeppieri and Nardi who are quite promising and with a nice game, although barely anyone knows who they are outside Italy because so far they've had no big results to gain some recognition.

Btw, what happened to Nicola Kuhn? I liked his game a lot and looked very promising a couple of years ago, but he's stagnated (or even regressed) since then, perennially stuck at low challenger level. His peer Davidovich, who seemed less promising back then, has way overtaken him establishing himself at ATP level, and now even the considerably younger Alcaraz has passed him both in ranking and results. I know he had some injuries, but I guess he must not feel very good at being overshadowed by newer prospects, as barely anyone talks about him anymore.
No idea about Kuhn, I think it’s mental, also his last injury cut his progession but this year totally stagnated. The fact is he was ranked higher at 17 yo. He can be lucky 2019 points are frozen or he’d be much lower.
I love Davidovich BTW, he is lot of fun to watch, so much variety in his game plus lot of guts. He is mentally weak still though and can suffer from lapses of time in which he completely disappears like he lose all confidence all of sudden but when he is on he is a joy to watch, always attacking game, good power both wings, crafty (great hands for volley and dropshots but he abuses of them I think), serve and volley sometimes, even underarm serve at times LOL.. Not the typical grinding Spaniard.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,175 Posts
Nice final. I'm delighted Daniil won. Of all the players knocking on the door to replace the Nadal and Djokovic at the top of the ATP rankings, Medvedev is definitely my favourite by a big margin. He has a variety, imagination and craftiness in his game the others simply don't and his down to earth, laidback modest personality is a lot more likeable than those of his peers as well.

To his credit Dominic has improved a hell of a lot these last few years from being a power hitting clay courter, he is now an all court player with a fine slice who is now very capable of mixing in some off pace shots into his rallies. That said, Daniil has that something extra, an ability to change his game and come up with a genuinely spectacular shot when it is needed that I think can make his a multiple slam champion. I loved Daniil's volleying the last set and a half. Pleased to see him winning today.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Julia Goerges' bf Koolhof won mens doubles title!
Congratulations to him and Nikola Mektic on a wonderful 2020 but, yet again, it's the last time a championship-winning team will play together. Mektic will team up with Mate Pavic in the new season...who has split up with Bruno Soares...who is getting back together with Jamie Murray...who has split from Neal Skupski! Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo have also split after a tremendous run of success over quite a lengthy period. There are sure to be others, but at least Michael Venus and John Peers will stay together. With three titles (Dubai, Hamburg, Antwerp) they were surely the pick of the new teams in 2020.

The final was also the last match for Jurgen Melzer, who announced his retirement a few weeks ago. He and Edouard Roger-Vasselin did a tremendous job as the eighth seeds to get to the final.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Medvedev has such weird strokes. Especially that FH. :D But he's definitely interesting to look at.

·
Registered
539 Posts
and his down to earth, laidback modest personality is a lot more likeable than those of his peers as well.
You perhaps haven't seen much of him, to get to this kind of view. Among the former "next gen", on the counts of negative attitude and being bratty, I guess Medvedev is second only to Zverev
Lately he has been putting a lot of effort not to let his inner self become visible. But I bet that given appropriate opportunities in the future he will be exploding into even uglier meltdowns than Serena

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You perhaps haven't seen much of him, to get to this kind of view. Among the former "next gen", on the counts of negative attitude and being bratty, I guess Medvedev is second only to Zverev
Lately he has been putting a lot of effort not to let his inner self become visible. But I bet that given appropriate opportunities in the future he will be exploding into even uglier meltdowns than Serena
infamous incident, he crossed over the net over a contentious call, ala Hingis and then sarcastically 'apologised' for it "Sorry, I think I killed someone, right? Sorry, I was so bad to cross the net. Sorry, my apologies, my sincere apologies to the U.S. Open for crossing the net. Oh my God."

·
Registered
539 Posts
infamous incident, he crossed over the net over a contentious call, ala Hingis and then sarcastically 'apologised' for it "Sorry, I think I killed someone, right? Sorry, I was so bad to cross the net. Sorry, my apologies, my sincere apologies to the U.S. Open for crossing the net. Oh my God."
Yeah, that was last year, if I am not mistaken. The middle finger shown to the public there as well. Hitting umpire stand at AO. Being defaulted for racist comment. The "Do you want to fight?" quarrel with Tsitsipas. Second serve into own court at 1:6 on tiebreak.... All this stuff is typical Dania
But there were also a few ugly things I saw him doing, which were not as widely covered. Like throwing a banana skin to the stands after a loss - the way some players throw their wristbands and towels. That was a couple years ago.
Or just recently at year-end finals in London, in one of the round robin matches, I don't remeber which one exactly - he served underhand. No problem with that. But then a couple points later, he IMITATED to serve underhand again, to make the opponent rush forward. Then stopped and did the regular serve. As nasty as it gets

I mean all three current top Russian players grew up in front of our eyes here from kids to juniors to tour. And everybody knows they are no angels. All three are nerves wrecks, I would say. But among them only Medvedev from time to time makes me feel ashamed to be his countryman

Edit: Checked it now - the umpire stand hitting was actually at ATP Cup, not at AO

241 - 259 of 259 Posts