Tennis Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Sam L said:
That's funny cause I was under the impression that half of this message board had turned to mens' tennis during this tournament.
I would have to agree. I waa rather disappointed in the message board durng this GS. Not many interesting threads, not a lot of participation (relatively) in the best ones. The threads fearing a Roddick victory were more entertaining than the threds about the women. What I especially missed were the 'who's better', and 'who's going to win' threads. Not that there were NONE, but they were trivial. There were only ONE matches among high ranked players in which there was any dispute about who better beforehand. The final. The only surprise near the top was Chanda losing early.

· Read Only
15,328 Posts
Perhaps too many people turned on the tennis, saw THIS on court, and thought they had The Cartoon Channel by mistake?

Seriously though, I think its simply because they had two players who were relatively unknown to the wider public. Its not just hardcore tennis fans who tune into a GS final, anything but. If Agassi or Sampras had been playing the final, I bet there'd have been higher ratings. If Rod-duck reaches the final again next year, I'm sure he'll attract more viewers too.

Or maybe people got all tennis-ed out in the few days before as the rain finally stopped?

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Well I only watched from 3-2 in the 2nd set because I thought Juan-Carlos had a chance to win that set. When he lost the TB though, I just tuned to another channel. Can't really stand Roddick - saw him at Wimbledon last year and he has irritated me even more ever since. There just isn't any cure for excessive vanity -- sad, but true.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
The guy´s just to cocky! Hell he doesn´t even realise that he got some VERY lucky line calls during the tournament( Ljubicic match, Nalbandian). Plus his talking with referees, calling his opponents pussy?! who does he think he is?!

· Banned
9,138 Posts
maybe because there was something called Football showing around the same time, which is more popular with the general masses than tennis in America?? Only die-hard tennis fans in the States prolly watched the men's and women's final- which is usually the case. I was at a dinner party Sat. night and i dared to wonder out loud who was winning the tennis match...and no one responded..they couldn't care less...I must venture that the majority didn't care less...maybe if an Andre Agassi was in the final- someone they are more familiar with...

· Registered
5,685 Posts
then i'm glad Agassi wasn't in the finals bec RoDUCK fans may have misinterpreted the sky-high ratings and assumed that their boy suddenly became popular...;)

· Registered
18,664 Posts
ROTF JON! Too funny!

· Registered
36 Posts
Ordinarily low rates would be cause for concern. However, as long as the NFL kickoff weekend occurs after Labor Day, the men's final will always be low rated. The start of the new football season would trump whatever the competition. Only reason I saw as much of the final as I did is that the football game became too boring so I switched channels.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.