Tennis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey will anyone join me in cheering for Meilen Tu?

She is a great player who seems to be improving all the time!!

i just wanna say well done to her and hope people will support her aswell!!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
loves to bash everything!
--- brilliant player when she's on!
was a top junior....beat Martina Hingis as a junior i think?!

GO MEILEN! :D

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vixen - that is so true! hits everything! lol!

Yep she did beat Martina in juniors aswell. i think it was in the us open final (im not intirely sure)

but she is the tops!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yeah, Meilen Tu was a brilliant junior.. specially because I think on that time, juniors weren't hitting as hard as they are now, and she is very talented (also veeeery short)... 5'1? ;)

She beat Marti in US Open Juniors final, surely :( 93 I guess..
GO TU! :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
she is REEEEAAALLLL short! :D standing next to her for a photo she was almost below my neck and i am no tall boy!

for her size she hits so damn hard!

GO MY LI'L MEILEN!!!!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I love her, shes a great player, I never thought I would say this but I will be cheering for her against my second favorite player Venus! I just want her to win a few games hehe

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I've also heard that not only does she hit a strong ball, but is also quite tenacious and a solid baseliner. Good technique I've heard also... Go Meilen! BTW, I believe she has pushed Venus to a tiebreak, hopefully she can continue her luck as a LL! :) GO MEILEN! :)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I have always heard also that for her size, Meilen is very hard-hitting for being whatever height she is.

But I think she could take a page out of Amanda Coetzer's book and be even better than she is now.

She is gonna need a lot of luck against Venus.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,511 Posts
Meilen's definetly a top 50 potential, maybe even a little bit higher if she can work on her serve a bit. Hit's a good ball, great mover on court good counterpunching skills, and she's also a pretty decent volleyer too which definetly makes her job a bit more easy if she gets some opportunities to finish off the points a bit quicker.

What was holding her back before was her mental game - I think Meilen's problem before was that she is definetly very critical of herself on court, really a very fiesty competitor on court, and in the past if things weren't going her was she just got too down on herself instead of trying to hang in there and keep trying to be positive (which is something I think smaller players like Coetzer and Sanchez-Vicario have done so well over the years, really showing that court presence that they don't plan on giving up can sometimes intimidate an opponent mentally). Great to see Meilen finally finding a consistent spot in the top 50-75 range, hopefully she will have a great 2002 :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
wasn't meilen in the top 50 at the end of last year! she fell out when she lost first round in new zealand as defending champ!

meilen will be back where she belongs after this week...

IN THE TOP 50 AGAIN!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Randy what kind of coaching does Meilen have. For someone with obvious talent and who can compete with the big hitters, would proper coaching put her in the mindset that she is better than most of the players on tour?

If it's all in her head, she needs more help with the her game plan.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Yeah, Melien is definetly a top 50 player. I seen her match against Venus last year at the U.S. Open, and her match against Capriati at the Aussie this year. Her groundstrokes are really solid. Not as powerful as Jen's or Venus', but she held her own pretty well. One thing I always label to Melien Tu, though, is that she probbaly has the slowest serve motion I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
she lost:(

never mind hey! theres always next time!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,511 Posts
Jakeev,

I don't know who Meilen is coached by now, but chances are that before she may not have had the greatest coach (maybe working with someone at the USTA, since anyone not ranked in the top 100 likely isn't earning a whole lot of money to be able to afford a top coach). I think the difference for her has been being able to put aside the negative stuff enough to still win a match. When you're always negative, focusing on what you're doing wrong, it's easy to lose focus, but I think Meilen has learned a bit more that she can still be fiery out there, but also understand that it's alright to make a few errors, just keep working on fighting out there rather than throwing in the towel over it.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Oh well, Meilen has fallen to Venus, but a good try definately. I believe that Melien has ranked as high as 36, but yeah, after failing to defend Auckland ? she fell quite a bit. In 2000 she really seemed to emerge from her rut, gathering 23 wins, topping her previous 18 matches won in first four years of her career. There is no doubt she can play, beating some respected players:

Amanda Coetzer
Katarina Maleeva
Rita Grande
Kristina Brandi
Elena Dementieva
Tamarine Tanasugarn
Julie Halard Decugius
Francesca Schavonie
Paola Suarez
Amy Frazier
Magui Serna
Joanette Kruger
Iroda Tulyaganova
Cara Black
Anne Kremer

Hopefully we can see her climb into the top 30, it would be great to see another Asian climb to those heights! (Ai, we're missing you there!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts