Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
104,799 Posts
Re: Meghan Markle Was Just Called a "Nightmare" by a Wimbledon Official for Wearing J

Acting all cocky like a true American.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Re: Meghan Markle Was Just Called a "Nightmare" by a Wimbledon Official for Wearing J

The times are changing, it's time for Wimbledon to get on board too. Meghan being a beacon of change :inlove:

·
Registered
39,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Acting all cocky like a true American.
You actually spelled the name out; you must be slipping. :tape:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
The times are changing, it's time for Wimbledon to get on board too. Meghan being a beacon of change :inlove:
Some things should not change. If she accepted an invitation to the member’s area, she, or her staff, should have known the protocols.
If she wants to attend in jeans she can enter the Wimbledon lottery like everybody lease.

I think Meghan is great, by the way. She just got it wrong this time. Not exactly a nightmare, just a faux pas.

·
Registered
31,648 Posts

Everyone knows the deal with Wimbledon, they do their own thing, if you don't like it then fuck off. :shrug:

·
Registered
22,100 Posts

This is the same press that attacked her for the way she held Archie during Harry's charity polo match.

Reactions: JN

·
Registered
23,019 Posts

well. "they" prevented nole to wear a cap which was dark on the underside numerous times in his matches.
wimby has always been a special bunch of elitist snobs clinging to ridiculous procedures and rules just because tradition says so. it's about time to end this BS.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts

Did anyone object to Kim Sears wearing jeans to cheer on MurrEna's doubles match that same day?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Did anyone object to Kim Sears wearing jeans to cheer on MurrEna's doubles match that same day?
Was she in the member’s area? No, she wasn’t.

Was she in the Royal Box? No, she wasn’t.

If not, there are no protocols. Try to know your subject, otherwise you will be liable to commit an embarrassing faux pas.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts

"She wanted to come incognito but there were problems. They couldn’t invite her into the royal box because she was wearing jeans but that didn’t really matter because all she wanted to do was come and watch Serena," the source said. "Andy Murray was on Court 1 afterwards and it was a massive faux pas not to watch a Brit when she is signed up to the Royal Family."
Look at that; avatars of a backward, anachronistic system of inherited wealth and influence are acting backwardly.
Usually, I try and avoid all news about monarchy, but I feel so sorry for her.
She's not about that stagnant, retrograde British nonsense.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Look at that; avatars of a backward, anachronistic system of inherited wealth and influence are acting backwardly.
Usually, I try and avoid all news about monarchy, but I feel so sorry for her.
She's not about that stagnant, retrograde British nonsense.
Yet she chose to enter it! Strange.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts

well. "they" prevented nole to wear a cap which was dark on the underside numerous times in his matches.
wimby has always been a special bunch of elitist snobs clinging to ridiculous procedures and rules just because tradition says so. it's about time to end this BS.
The type of people who are incapable of innovation or adaptation, and yet still somhow remain at the top of society.
I just...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
The type of people who are incapable of innovation or adaptation, and yet still somhow remain at the top of society.
I just...
Ever heard of "if it’s not broke, don’t fix it?

It is not about innovating and adapting. It is about continuing to be the most prestigious tennis tournament in the universe. It would be a mistake to lower standards.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

I just read some news on Meghan's "shenanigans" in Wimbledon. I can understand that she may find it very difficult to adapt with these "stupid" royal rules, she gotta take the good with the bad. She should have known this when she decided to marry Harry, so i feel that it is not fair that the entire institution have to change to suit her style.

And can we try at least once not to make everything about race, gender or religion? It's nauseating

·
Registered
31,648 Posts

I hope Wimbledon never changes.

If only the rest of the world were as decorous as Wimbledon
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/07/15/if-only-rest-world-were-decorous-wimbledon/?utm_term=.8a24d976f90c

By Max Boot
Columnist
July 15 at 12:37 PM

WIMBLEDON, England — On both sides of the Atlantic, politics has come to be dominated by vitriolic name-calling and pervasive dishonesty. So it was a relief to escape, if only for a few days, to a more old-fashioned and genteel realm where actions speak louder than words and competition is governed by strict rules and a decorous code of conduct.

I speak, of course, of the Wimbledon Championships, which concluded on Sunday with a five-set endurance contest between two of the all-time greats — Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. I have been a regular spectator at the U.S. Open for a quarter-century, but this was my first visit to the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. It felt so much like traveling in time back to the 1950s that I kept looking around to see whether a silver DeLorean was parked nearby.

There are no corporate advertisements on Centre Court and no corporate boxes. The only box belongs to the British royal family. Jackets and ties must be worn in the members’ “enclosure” (i.e., clubhouse) — and no jeans or “trainers” (Brit-speak for sneakers) allowed. Players must be attired in all white. The most common treat remains, as it has been since the tournament began in 1877, strawberries and cream washed down with a glass of champagne or a Pimm’s Cup. Afternoon tea, accompanied by scones and crustless sandwiches, is de rigueur. The food is familiar and far from Michelin quality — just as it was in the Britain of old, before London became a global foodie destination.

The tradition-laden grounds formed the perfect backdrop for a tournament dominated, as the tennis world has been for more than a decade, by the legends who have become known by one name. Roger, Rafa (Rafael Nadal), Serena (Williams), Novak: They were all competing on the last weekend of the tournament. Just as Wimbledon seems to resist the march of time, so do its leading players. Federer is a year older than Andy Roddick, the former world No. 1 who retired from professional tennis seven years ago. Yet at the ripe old age of 37 (old enough in tennis terms to be put out to pasture or at least the senior circuit), Federer was gliding around the court as smoothly as ever — and playing as gloriously as ever.

As I watched from just behind the baseline on Friday, Federer dispatched his great rival, Rafael Nadal, in four efficient sets. Federer’s serve has not lost its pinpoint accuracy, nor his forehand its power and his backhand its versatility — he still switches with ease between a tricky backhand slice and a speedy topspin. He even comes in to the net regularly, something few players do any more even on grass. Nadal is a formidable competitor in his own right who owns just two fewer Grand Slam singles titles than Federer’s record haul of 20. Just a month ago, he thrashed Federer in straight sets at the French Open. On Friday, Nadal fought off four match points in the fourth set before succumbing to Federer’s timeless greatness.

That set the stage for a men’s final for the ages. Federer was the clear crowd favorite as regular cries of “Let’s go, Rog-ah” attested. This was a long way removed from the obscene taunts that are a regular feature of Premier League football matches. The crowd’s worst breach of etiquette was to applaud Djokovic’s missed shots. But in fairness, they applauded his winners, too. One woman even screamed, “We love you both!”

The two combatants on Centre Court were impassive throughout. They did not shout, they did not berate the umpire or themselves, they did not break any rackets. There was, in short, none of the bad-boy behavior associated with earlier Wimbledon stars such as John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors — or newer entrants such as Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic. Federer and Djokovic were as classy and quiet as a Rolls-Royce Wraith. They were men at work, and they concentrated on their labors with superhuman intensity.

A lesser player might have folded after losing a heartbreaking tiebreaker at the end of the first set. Not Federer. He came roaring back to take the second set, 6-1. A lesser player might have been disheartened by such a lopsided loss in the second set. Not Djokovic. He redoubled his determination and squeaked out another tiebreaker to take the third set. And so it went for four hours and 57 minutes – the longest Wimbledon final ever. The fifth set was one that no one who saw it can ever forget, even if Federer said he would like to. Acting as calmly as if he were out for a late afternoon stroll, Djokovic fought off two match points to win his fifth Wimbledon singles title in a tiebreaker played at 12-12.

It was so enthralling I often held my breath and barely bothered to look at my iPhone. But during a changeover in the fifth set, I checked Twitter and saw that President Trump had just made a racist attack on some Democratic members of Congress. Sigh. Back to reality. If only the modern world were as decorous as Wimbledon.

·
Registered
27,447 Posts

I just read some news on Meghan's "shenanigans" in Wimbledon. I can understand that she may find it very difficult to adapt with these "stupid" royal rules, she gotta take the good with the bad. She should have known this when she decided to marry Harry, so i feel that it is not fair that the entire institution have to change to suit her style.

And can we try at least once not to make everything about race, gender or religion? It's nauseating
So much this.
Also no matter how outdated or stupid these traditions or protocols may look, she should’t be above everyone else.
Along with the many privileges of being a royal member, there come some obligations too. You can’t have the best of both worlds, sorry, and she knew what it would take to marry Prince Harry.

I have no f to give about these princess problems. It’s not a OMG Drama if you can’t wear jeans. Players have to wear all white outfit and is not the end of the world

21 - 40 of 127 Posts