Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
But this is not racist? Am I racist for not liking mohawks, or tatoos, or the way Prisacariu looks? Isnt it just a matter of personal taste??

Granted as a commentator she should have kept that to herself, but this is not racist.
I totally respect why they wore the beads and understand why they did.

But the beads were fucking ugly and an eye sore.

I guess I’m racist.

·
Art & Futures
23,273 Posts
They don't deny being racist in their posts...
sorry that type of thinking is so dumb lol.

Social media is idiotic. If you flat out say "I am not racist", then people will say you are overcompensating. If you don't say anything, then people will say "they didn't deny it".

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Grafiati

·
Registered
160 Posts
When did Serena break Martina's record 18 was not a record Graf,I think Helen Wills Moody and Margaret Court had already more then Chris and Martina.
The beads in the hair were all over the court the match had to be stopped to look for them .
When you get an endorsement as a 14 year old like Venus did of 14 million dollars without knowing for sure you succeed is that discrimination to a black person. I think Martina meant such things.

When Martina retired in 1994 Newsweek said Martina was the one sportsperson who did not earn what she deserved, I guess they do not have to say that about the William sisters.

Martina was both socially and financially discriminated against the sisters not financially ,luckily being gay they can not exclude you from playing Martina was not a a lazy player and she could earn sufficiently but not as much as she should have through endorsements. That is one reason why she has these crazy records.These people do not know all that because you only follow tennis since the William Sisters arrived and you will stop when they retire.

Richard Williams like all tennis fathers not to sympathetic like father Graf and father Pierce. The only nice father was Karoly Seles who clapped for good shots of opponents from Monica.
You do not know what happens behind the scenes.

Serena played only doubles with Venus accept for maybe a couple of players one of them Martina in her so called second career so obvious Serena does not find Martina a racist.

When the Russian captain of fed cup team called the William sisters brothers you do remember that. Martina wrote to the ITF the organization who regulates the Fed Cup suspended the guy I am not saying it was only Martina who helped
but they know who she is.

Martina is a Czech and like Hana Mandlikova and Jana Novotna speak their mind it is a Czech h trait it has brought them all sometimes in trouble. It is amazing that Chris Evert brought herself in trouble, she never speaks out on something controversial and still gets trouble.

I thought she always kisses Serena's ass I cannot hear the commentary of Chris since I live in Europe. I was surprised she spoke about the Chinese player but then I found out Peng Shua visited her tennis academy from the age of 14.

Maybe you should visit Martina's twitter after the police kills another innocent black man maybe your eyes will open.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
When did Serena break Martina's record 18 was not a record Graf,I think Helen Wills Moody and Margaret Court had already more then Chris and Martina.
The beads in the hair were all over the court the match had to be stopped to look for them .
When you get an endorsement as a 14 year old like Venus did of 14 million dollars without knowing for sure you succeed is that discrimination to a black person. I think Martina meant such things.

When Martina retired in 1994 Newsweek said Martina was the one sportsperson who did not earn what she deserved, I guess they do not have to say that about the William sisters.

Martina was both socially and financially discriminated against the sisters not financially ,luckily being gay they can not exclude you from playing Martina was not a a lazy player and she could earn sufficiently but not as much as she should have through endorsements. That is one reason why she has these crazy records.These people do not know all that because you only follow tennis since the William Sisters arrived and you will stop when they retire.

Richard Williams like all tennis fathers not to sympathetic like father Graf and father Pierce. The only nice father was Karoly Seles who clapped for good shots of opponents from Monica.
You do not know what happens behind the scenes.

Serena played only doubles with Venus accept for maybe a couple of players one of them Martina in her so called second career so obvious Serena does not find Martina a racist.

When the Russian captain of fed cup team called the William sisters brothers you do remember that. Martina wrote to the ITF the organization who regulates the Fed Cup suspended the guy I am not saying it was only Martina who helped
but they know who she is.

Martina is a Czech and like Hana Mandlikova and Jana Novotna speak their mind it is a Czech h trait it has brought them all sometimes in trouble. It is amazing that Chris Evert brought herself in trouble, she never speaks out on something controversial and still gets trouble.

I thought she always kisses Serena's ass I cannot hear the commentary of Chris since I live in Europe. I was surprised she spoke about the Chinese player but then I found out Peng Shua visited her tennis academy from the age of 14.

Maybe you should visit Martina's twitter after the police kills another innocent black man maybe your eyes will open.
you wrote alot of nonsense

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
Let’s be fvck if honest here. Tennis was white people sport and these two black girls came around and smashed the hell out of it early. There was a lot of they not supposed to be here type of attitude from a lot of players. I’m sure a lot was said about them between players behind the scenes. And Pam upper class raised in tennis wasn’t gonna take to the sisters straight away and neither was Eastern European Martina. But the greatness of the sisters made them accept the reality and that’s why the sisters are more than just tennis players. They broke barriers

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
You know people are grasping for straws when the same screenshot used to claim someone is a racist against the sisters also has that person saying, at the same time, "The girls are great. They’re great athletes, nice women. I like them a lot"
Look at cricket another rich white people sport and the Pakistani/Indian players when playing in UK had to deal with. If you know upper class white people they don’t do straight to your face racism. They do a lot of underhanded comments of you not belonging here and this is our thing comments in sly way. Martina Hingis display this attitude perfectly

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
These comments are only brought forward now to give some sensation to the King movie.

Even if Martina and Chris were bitter and prejudiced against the WS, the fact they have grown to fully appreciate both of them is positive.

Reactions: sav001 and Perun

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
When it comes to race relations on this forum, it' like talking to a wall. People on this forum love to act oblivious to racism, unless it's blatant, other than that, they dont see it and any one that does is playing the "Race card" a phrase white people started and use simply to delegitimize any claims of racism.

The fact that people on this forum are acting as if racism within Tennis never existed and it was all in the head of the Williams sisters, put in by their dad is pure ignorance to say the least.

Richard and Oracene raised their daughters to be strong, powerful, outspoken, proud BLACK women, which in the eyes of WHITE viewers made them labeled cocky, rude, stuck up and unlikable.

Yet it was okay for Players like Capriati, Hingis, Martina, Evert, Graf, Sharapova to walk around like they are above it all, and could do and say what they please, but Venus and especially Serena needed to be and act a certain way to be accepted. Not be the stars they are, but be behind or below their white contemporaries.

People love to bring up Serena's 3, yes THREE instances within her 20 yr Career on why she's so unlikable, when that's BS, those instances simply gave y'all a reason now to dislike her, because they were dislked the moment they started dominated the sport.

How else do you explain when playing against their white contemporaries, they would barely get cheers for a point they won, but let the opponent score a point on them, the place would erupt, prime example Venus vs Capriati 2001 US Open.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The repeated comments about the beads, etc. just added fuel to the perception of Venus and Serena as outsiders.
People didn't complain about the beads because they were racist. They complained about the beads because the beads had a tendency to fall out during matches, making a mess all over the court, causing long delays while the ball kids had to scrounge around for them and pick them up individually.

It p****d everybody off, fans and commentators alike -- including Chrissy and Martina.

Going forward, please don't put tiny fragile s*** in your hair before a highly intensive athletic competition. It's a tennis match, not a fashion show.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Back at the time people were definitely saying that Richard was 'hindering' the WS and that they should be coached by someone else.

Yet Serena won her first slam at 17, a mere year after making her appearance on the tour. Venus won 2 at 19. What a horrible job he was doing.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
People didn't complain about the beads because they were racist. They complained about the beads because the beads had a tendency to fall out during matches, making a mess all over the court, causing long delays while the ball kids had to scrounge around for them and pick them up individually.

It p****d everybody off, fans and commentators alike -- including Chrissy and Martina.

Going forward, please don't put tiny fragile s*** in your hair before a highly intensive athletic competition. It's a tennis match, not a fashion show.
So, a tendency usually indicates something happens frequently but Venus losing beads twice (infamous AO match against Davenport and another one where Hingis grabbed one like a misguided trophy) doesn't seem like her hair was causing problems all over the tour. Were you one of the ball kids from long ago who had to scrounge up said beads? If so, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience and trauma you experienced.

And I'm sure all those apparel brands who look to stand out with their different clothing lines appreciate your focus group comments about it being a tennis match and not a fashion show. Black t-shirts and shorts to their knees for everyone so that no one, fans, commentators, Chrissy or Martina gets p****d off :eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Martina's comments were stupid and her response to the tweet was even more nonsensical. For starters, when have Black people ever been handled with "kid gloves" in predominantly white spaces? Venus and Serena were handled with "kid gloves" compared to their white counterparts? WHEN? When the rest of the tour and tennis media kept comparing their bodies and muscle tone to men? When players left dirty underwear and sneaker soles near their lockers at Wimbledon in 1998? When an entire stadium booed their family at Indian Wells due to a mix up that the ORGANIZERS caused? When Sid Rosenberg called them animals and wanted them to be featured in a National Geographic article?The fact is Black people do not have any "privileges" in white spaces and we are certainly not coddled in them either. Please.

Secondly, engaging in topics on race in this forum is so useless because a lot of people on here do not have the range to discuss them. It's 100% dishonest and false to say that Venus and Serena did not experience racism and misogynoir throughout their entire careers.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.