Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
But in the movie, you can see why people would be turned off from Richard, so I don't know if I'm mad at what Martina said about him. She's generally salty in general, but i took that as she was salty about Serena passing her in stuff. The sisters not facing racism is just a flat out lie.

Richard has the last laugh in general, but some of his antics that were shown in the movie would have ticked even the most patient people off. Some of the criticisms at the time were valid, even if his decisions paid dividends.

I want to know who's finally going to make Mary Carillo answer to her very problematic commentary of the sisters, particularly Serena.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Martina should do the right thing and apologize for these comments.

It is borderline racist to say the WS did not face any racism while coming up or that they were benefiting from it. You have to blind and prejudiced not to have seen it. Regardless of some of your ridiculous rants about wokism, twitter or whatever bs some of you come up with to hide behind your own racism.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I agree Navratilova is likely sour when Williams is passing her records, but I’m not sure if that contributes as racist.

Everything on Williams have always been tied with racism. I’m not surprised the media is trying to pull this trigger for attention on the movie.

·
Registered
Federer, Sampras, Graf, Hingis
126 Posts
Not any other player than Serena in the world has used the race card. Leave alone race card, she has used female card and , lol, moms card. I totally agree with Navratilova and Evert as well as Pam, there is no racism. Most of Serena's fan are also like serena, even on this forum, they just get after you, abusing and abusing. That match between capriati and Serena, it was not racism. Capriati was a new yorker playing in new york. Since then, Serena has been playing cards game and not tennis. In US open foot fault against Clijster, the lady calling was herself not white and the behaviour of Serena was witnessed by everyone. The call against Sam stosur where she literally shouted before even the ball reached stosur, that was a valid call. And I am still not sure how she got away with whatever she did against Osaka. Even after her coach admitted, she gathered support from all corners. And if you have noticed, its always the US open where she creates a scene because she gathers the backing of the crowd. She did not create a scene against capriati only because crowd would not have sided with her with Capriati on the other side.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Any attention drawn to commentary from decades ago is going to spark criticism of political incorrectness. But, I have never been a fan of Chris' commentary and she definitely just goes where the trends are. Martina has a pretty consistent viewpoint; it's just who she is. She has never been happy about Serena breaking her slam record.

As to whether or not these particular comments are racist, they definitely overlook the difficulties of Venus and Serena being the first two hyper-successful black athletes in tennis since Althea Gibson and Zina Garrison. A white person simply cannot declare that there is "no racism" in tennis. The repeated comments about the beads, etc. just added fuel to the perception of Venus and Serena as outsiders. Richard protected Venus and Serena from being as affected by these comments as some others may have been by building their strong mentality from a very young age, in at times controversial and possibly problematic ways. Venus especially was considered super cocky when she first entered the tennis scene, but in my opinion she needed to be to rise above the challenge of being scrutinized from a racist viewpoint by many tennis fans during that time.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
I’m so fucking tired of this shit.

“30 years ago x y z was racist, republican, homophobic etc” the list goes on.

People are allowed AND SUPPOSE TO GROW and change their views. And an inclusive society is suppose to bring them to the light and it surely has for many.

They aren’t racist women. To take a comment from so long ago and run with it is so fucking dumb.

·
Registered
580 Posts

People are allowed AND SUPPOSE TO GROW and change their views. And an inclusive society is suppose to bring them to the light and it surely has for many.

They aren’t racist women. To take a comment from so long ago and run with it is so fucking dumb.
A racist comment is a racist comment, whether it's been told now, 1000 BC or in the year 1e9 at the edge of the milkway galaxy.

You show that you have grown by apologizing for it. If you don't, then you haven't really grown.

Read that comment again. There's no racism and that WS were being treated in kids gloves because they were black? Abhorrent. It is very important to keep that in the historical record whether Martina likes it or not.

The fact that people are defending this s*** 20 years later is even more compelling to highlight the racism the WS face.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

Nav is also a BLM supporter.

·
Registered
38,758 Posts
It is quite ridiculous and frankly offensive to say that there wasn't racism in tennis after Indian Wells 2001 happened... but I guess Nav has changed her views since then. Hopefully.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I'll always find it hilarious that Doug Adler's career and reputation was destroyed by the more noxious fanbase of the Williams sisters for describing the net-charging of Venus as a guerilla attack - which happens to be a homophone of "gorilla".
I'm no fan of the sisters, but I believe theirs is an overall positive legacy which has evolved the sport for the better and inspired a generation. What I'm certainly not gonna miss when they're gone is the interminable race-baiting of many of their fangirls. That would really be such good riddance. We might get back to simpler times when you might be indifferent to a player or dislike a player (like many do Novak or even Nadal) or even be critical toa player you might like, without it being because you're actually a Nazi.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
But this is not racist? Am I racist for not liking mohawks, or tatoos, or the way Prisacariu looks? Isnt it just a matter of personal taste??

Granted as a commentator she should have kept that to herself, but this is not racist.
It's becoming any kind of -ist in regards to the Williams, especially for Serena Williams. I don't like Serena or Sharapova, am I racist? I like Venus, am I racist?

Can't express views these days.

Reactions: Perun
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.