1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
18,013 Posts
Racist or not, they definitely were salty ass haters.

They did join --and therefore by virtue of their status-- led the hostility and villainization of the Williams sisters in their early career.

Martina did it for selfish reasons (she hates all real good players as she thinks that undermines her status — she can smell a record about to break from miles away) so in that sense being hated by Martina is a compliment of your talent. Chris Evert did it because she's an airhead milquetoast moderate republican lady who does whatever is fashionable in the country club tearooms at the moment. And Pam Shriver is Pam Shriver — her slamless sourpuss ass still hates just about everyone.

·
Registered
18,013 Posts
Why are some of these Twitter losers so obsessed with stirring up hate that doesn't exist ? Good for Chris and Martina for firing back.
You mean journalists?

So you approve of media only when they shit on players you hate? an easy badboy piñata like Zverev? You don't like it when they dredge up stuff and expose your faves?

Well sorry but tennis journalism isn't there to augment your fandom but to tell it like it is — freedom of speech and all that shit, remember? :wavey:

Here is the article the OP tweet links to: How Richard Williams fought for Venus and Serena

·
*Sesil*
22,130 Posts

They did join (and therefore by virtue of their status) led the hostility and villainization of the Williams sisters in their early career.

Martina did it for selfish reasons (she hates all real good players as she thinks that undermines her status — she can smell a record about to break from miles away) so in that sense being hated by Martina is a compliment of your talent. Chris Evert did it because she's an airhead milquetoast moderate republican lady who does whatever is fashionable in the country club tearooms at the moment. And Pam Shriver is Pam Shriver — her slamless sourpuss ass still hates just about everyone.
I remember when Serena was clearly heading to surpass Martina and the sour face Martina always had when discussing Serena in general. Martina is definitely someone I feel cannot move on from tennis, her records define her entire being.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts

They did join (and therefore by virtue of their status) led the hostility and villainization of the Williams sisters in their early career.

I don't agree. Martina, Chris and Pam are paid to commentate, not fawn and toady. Plus Martina and Chris came from an era when you supported the WTA Tour first - so not surprising that they disapproved when Serena started not to bother with non-slam events.

Martina's record of 74 consecutive wins and Chris's 125 win streak of clay were never threatened by either sister, records they still hold. I think Chris could well have beaten Margaret Court's record too, had she played every Australian and French Open held during the years when she was winning slams 1974-1986.

Plus Martina was right in her comment about Serena. Serena was better without Richard. Once Richard stepped aside and Oracene accompanied Serena, that was when she started her domination. During Richard's heyday around the millennium, it was Venus winning the slams.

·
Registered
18,013 Posts
I don't agree. Martina, Chris and Pam are paid to commentate, not fawn and toady. Plus Martina and Chris came from an era when you supported the WTA Tour first - so not surprising that they disapproved when Serena started not to bother with non-slam events.

Martina's record of 74 consecutive wins and Chris's 125 win streak of clay were never threatened by either sister, records they still hold. I think Chris could well have beaten Margaret Court's record too, had she played every Australian and French Open held during the years when she was winning slams 1974-1986.

Plus Martina was right in her comment about Serena. Serena was better without Richard. Once Richard stepped aside and Oracene accompanied Serena, that was when she started her domination. During Richard's heyday around the millennium, it was Venus winning the slams.
Martina's comments are not from her job as presenter (as she herself pointed out in her reply this era predates her stint as a full-time paid commentator). In fact back in the day she was still active pro playing and interacting with the younger girls in the locker rooms. So her feelings back then were more openly and predominantly a player's perspective, not just as some journo critiquing from the sidelines. And of course she and the others could have been right in some of their points. It's not like everything they used to say has to be either all correct or all shit. Even Spirlea had legit opinions :oh:

·
Registered
18,013 Posts
Nice spin but Martina wasn't critiquing Richard's serve technique or other practice court routines.

I remember when Serena was clearly heading to surpass Martina and the sour face Martina always had when discussing Serena in general. Martina is definitely someone I feel cannot move on from tennis, her records define her entire being.
In a way it's kinda charming and even hilarious. She has like a million records that no one will ever touch, yet she gets salty that a couple of them inevitably crumble.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I think a reason why the wta isn't in the same leage as the atp is because it's still way too much about King, Nav and Evert. They are at every big tournament ceremony too. Time to move on like the players after did.

·
Registered
38,175 Posts
You mean journalists?

So you approve of media only when they shit on players you hate? an easy badboy piñata like Zverev? You don't like it when they dredge up stuff and expose your faves?

Well sorry but tennis journalism isn't there to augment your fandom but to tell it like it is — freedom of speech and all that shit, remember? :wavey:

Here is the article the OP tweet links to: How Richard Williams fought for Venus and Serena
You make fair points, and it is related to the release of this film, but I do think the tennis media is a joke, as is Vox. And it's very bad faith to bring up quotes from decades ago, especially out of context and on Twitter, which is a notorious cesspool for crazy people and lack of nuance, to imply that NAVRATILOVA (and/or EVERT) is some sort of racist when she has clearly demonstrated that she isn't and now heaps praise on WW. But it is fair game for journalism I suppose...

·
Registered
38,175 Posts
You know people are grasping for straws when the same screenshot used to claim someone is a racist against the sisters also has that person saying, at the same time, "The girls are great. They’re great athletes, nice women. I like them a lot"

1 - 20 of 86 Posts