Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to legacy, and more importantly, relevance- what do you measure it as?

Is your relevance your past 52 weeks? But then we look at Angelique Kerber's 2016 "52 weeks" which was unmatched after and unmatched before by her

Is it your form the last 3-5 years? But then we have Venus Williams, who bar 2017, hasn't had any real relevance in nearly a decade

Is it your peak form? But we have players like Jankovic, who would probably never regain that

I ask because Viktoria Azarenka is often grouped with Serena, Maria and Venus ( when the latter 2 aren't even in the same group as the former) yet her career stats put her way below. She's also highly talked about like a legend of the game and always mentioned as a relevant contender YET:

She's only won 2 majors; She's only actually played 4 major Finals; She was only really an elite player for 2.5 seasons; She only has 20 titles in her entire career. Her career is really becoming a tragedy and it's looking more and more likely that she will never get back to that 2012/2013 form. Basically if her career ended today and we fast forward a decade, her career won't look at all amazing or special, despite her "reputation". I feel Venus Williams is similar regarding her CURRENT playing career ( albeit for different reasons).

·
Registered
114,819 Posts
52 weeks is okay for a decent ranking estimate in most cases.
Overall relevance is much longer period of time
If Wozniacki is 2nd to Serena over the last decade in titles, weeks at #1, prize money, and finals reached, that means more to me as her value than her ranking, which is #1 today, but was around 70 late in 2016
Like Halep. Even without a major, since 2014 her value to the tour is huge and she is one of the best players on tour the last 5 years

·
Registered
23,241 Posts
well. since '12/'13 is widely regarded as the last strong era in this decade and the way she was playing back then it comes to no surprise her effort back then still has and even might have some impact for the future. and let's be honest: nothing else comes close in terms of domination of the tour for the last seven years bar serena, and you know it. :shrug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts