Elena Dementieva 1891
Venus Williams 1805 
Chanda Rubin 1724
Anastasia Myskina 1109
hmm doesnt look like it, but stranger things have happened

·
Registered
115,239 Posts
In the four majors, Elena lost twice in the round of 16. And twice in the first round.
This is definately her best year in the one week tournaments.
I think the top players are the ones who dominate in the majors. Let's wait and see what Lena does in 2004.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
If the Williams abandon the tennis scene to become full time celebrities, that is going to free up a lot of space in the Top 5. And Lena D is defintely one of the players who might fill that space.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
she is probably better off not getting there because she would just get a whole lot of crap about not deserving it blah blah blah blah blah blah ...........................................................blah blah blah blah blah......................blah blah X 100.

she would only be there because of injuries though. she has played much better this year but she still has some ways to go before actually being a top 5 player.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
629 points behind is knocking on the door?? In that case, is Carly Gullickson (#222) knocking on the Top 50 door? :retard:

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
vogus said:
If the Williams abandon the tennis scene to become full time celebrities, that is going to free up a lot of space in the Top 5. And Lena D is defintely one of the players who might fill that space.
:lol: Yeah, because although they are only two...they seem to count for four!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,630 Posts
I also thought the same....Except some tourneys this fall and PAris next year, she has nothing to defed until Wimby! With Davenport out with Injury, Momo out too, VGenus not playing, I really think she ahs a shot at it!

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
exactly ....
elena has almost nothing to defend until Amelia Island except from her SF points @ Filderstadt and Paris :D

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
If Elena D. gets to #5 it will only be because of what she didn't have to defend. She inmho is clearly not the BEST or one of the BEST top 5 players on the WTA Tour. Rankings are so funny.. lol.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
controlfreak said:
629 points behind is knocking on the door?? In that case, is Carly Gullickson (#222) knocking on the Top 50 door? :retard:
good comparison. carly gullickson has like 100 points, total dementieva has over 2000. therefore dementieva gaining 629 is like gullickson gaining 30 points in comparison. dementieva thrives indoors as well. having said that i would be surprised to see her there after the australian open

·
26,933 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
If Elena D. gets to #5 it will only be because of what she didn't have to defend. She inmho is clearly not the BEST or one of the BEST top 5 players on the WTA Tour. Rankings are so funny.. lol.
Not again, dawn. NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazy:

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Even though Elena's had some nice wins (esp Amelia Island), I think she has to get at least to a couple Slam quarterfinals or semifinals a year to be a deserverving top 5 player. If the rankings went strictly by average she'd be ranked a couple spots lower.

I think Elena has potential to be a great player and a strong fall season could give her confidence. Look what it did for Kim.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Mauresmo, Davenport and Capriati are ranked above her, and either of them has less titles in weaker tournaments than Elena.

And quarters/semis in Slams come much easier when you are seeded in Top 8. So that's not necessarily an indicator of class, but rather indicator of being seeded high and having a good draw. Hantuchova made 4 Slam quarters in a row, playing like crap. myskina made two quarters this year, playing not nearly as good as Dementieva plays now. By Amelia Island next year Elena will be ranked Top 5. probably much sooner than that.

·
Registered
115,239 Posts
I guess if Amelie is grouped with Jenn and Lindsay, then Elena can be.
But the top six, not counting Amelie, are #1's. All have won at least two majors, except for Kim. And Kim is 20 and has been to three finals in majors.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Some of you never give Elena the credits she deserves!!! Look for Elena to make the quarters in at least 2 Grand Slams next year!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
People are so funny ... because a player wins a TierIII and reaches the following week the finals of the weakest TierII of the year, that player is top5 material! Until Amelia Island this year, the majority of the people thought Elena would be known as one of the best players having never won a singles tournament ...

I'm not saying Amelia Island wasn't a great win (she did beat 3 top10 players at that time) and she did improve her game a little ... but in the big events, Elena has yet to show what it takes to be top5. Clearly 2003 has to be her best year so far ... but her performance in the GS this year was one of the weakest of her career. And she has only 1 SF in a TierI this year. Nobody will get to top5 with just this kind of results ...

But as Dawn said, if somehow Elena would become #5 or even #6 in the next year with the kind of play she's shown, it's probably because of injuries from higher ranked players and it would show once more, how meaningless rankings really are ... and I wouldn't be surprised if after that Dementieva would have a Dokic-like down-fall ... Elena and Jelena have lots in common : a one-dimensional type of game with no real weapon to hurt anybody! They practice "pure power game" ... it's bam bam bam bam with no strategy whatsoever ...

Having said that, she's on her way up though ... but top5 is still far far away IMO!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
joao said:
People are so funny ... because a player wins a TierIII and reaches the following week the finals of the weakest TierII of the year, that player is top5 material! Until Amelia Island this year, the majority of the people thought Elena would be known as one of the best players having never won a singles tournament ...

I'm not saying Amelia Island wasn't a great win (she did beat 3 top10 players at that time) and she did improve her game a little ... but in the big events, Elena has yet to show what it takes to be top5. Clearly 2003 has to be her best year so far ... but her performance in the GS this year was one of the weakest of her career. And she has only 1 SF in a TierI this year. Nobody will get to top5 with just this kind of results ...

But as Dawn said, if somehow Elena would become #5 or even #6 in the next year with the kind of play she's shown, it's probably because of injuries from higher ranked players and it would show once more, how meaningless rankings really are ... and I wouldn't be surprised if after that Dementieva would have a Dokic-like down-fall ... Elena and Jelena have lots in common : a one-dimensional type of game with no real weapon to hurt anybody! They practice "pure power game" ... it's bam bam bam bam with no strategy whatsoever ...

Having said that, she's on her way up though ... but top5 is still far far away IMO!
The funniest BS I've read in a while. I've never read anything by this guy before, but by the level of written, my guess would be that the author _MUST_ be a Williams fan.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
elena rulez and will be #5 go elena!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think Elena can climb more in the rankings. Yes, I agree that she lost early in the slams this year, but she was still finding her game. I think that she is back on tract and as you all know, she should have beaten Justine at Acura and also Toronto. So, Justing should be minus those 2 titles, as Elena gave her those matches. Justine and Kim are only where thay are in the ranings because thay play more tennis than anyone else, maybe only for points...I don't know. But the fact that they are ranked 1 & 2 doesn't make them the 2 best players in the WTA. So, getting back to Elena, I think that as she is getting a hold on her true game now, she will continue to improve and show everyone that she is a player to be reckened with. Other players know that when she is on, she is tough to play, so you all just wait and watch her climb the rankings in true top 5 fashion. She will outplay her opponent and everyone will enjoy seeing her do it. A fresh face in the top 5 and also one to enjoy watching. All the best to Elena.....Bravo Elena....keep going forward. ;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
JLDementieva said:
Some of you never give Elena the credits she deserves!!! Look for Elena to make the quarters in at least 2 Grand Slams next year!
Credit should be given if deserved and winning some titles is great, however:

You maight be right with your prediction who will tell but,
with 2 1st rounds and 2 4th rounds, and added to that only once a progress beyond the 4th round, my opinion is let's wait and see before predicting 2 QF or better for next year.

Just when finishing this message, I do now realise that thet ranking she now has surely might help her doing a bit better at GS, it surely didn't hurt Myskina to avoid the top 10 until the QF

1 - 20 of 24 Posts