Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mauresmo stuns Serena with huge comeback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ROME -- Top-ranked Serena Williams lost her second match of the year Saturday, falling 1-6, 7-5, 6-3 to Amelie Mauresmo in the semifinals of the Italian Open.

Amelie Mauresmo was able to beat Serena Williams in her sixth attempt.
Williams was within two points of closing out the match in the second set as she served with a 5-4 lead. But a tricky backhand volley miss gave Mauresmo a break to get back on serve, and Mauresmo won three straight games to send the match into a third set.

Mauresmo broke to go ahead 5-3 when a shot by Williams was called long on an overrule by the chair umpire. Helped by four errors from Williams, Mauresmo then served out the match in this $1.3 million clay-court tuneup for this month's French Open.

She next plays second-seeded Kim Clijsters of Belgium, who defeated 13th-seeded Ai Sugiyama 6-3, 6-2 in the other semifinal.

"Everything went wrong for me,'' Williams said. "I was making too many errors and struggling with my serve. I guess that sums it up. You can't win a match with a second serve.

"There was nothing in particular she did. When I lose a match it's usually because of how I played. In the end it's better to lose in Rome than in Paris.''

Williams, the defending champion in Rome and Paris, cruised through the first set in just 21 minutes as the fourth-seeded Mauresmo won just four points in the first five games.

"I had to stay in there and wait for a chance to play my game,'' Mauresmo said. "I think I realized I could beat her only in the last two games. That's when I had my chance and I took it.''

Williams' only other loss this year came against Justine Henin-Hardenne in the final of the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, S.C., last month. She dropped to 26-2 on the season.

Mauresmo had never beaten Williams in five previous meetings.

Clijsters improved to 4-2 against Sugiyama, who is her doubles partner. In the final, Clijsters will be going for her third title of the year.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Mauresmo stuns Serena with huge comeback

Williams, the defending champion in Rome and Paris, cruised through the first set in just 21 minutes as the fourth-seeded Mauresmo won just four points in the first five games.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

amazing comeback and turnaround :D good for her!

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Congrats!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts