Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mauresmo seeking input from Noah
February 8, 2005

PARIS (AP) -- Amelie Mauresmo is turning to 1983 French Open champion Yannick Noah for some help in gaining the mental edge needed to win a Grand Slam title.

Mauresmo announced on her Web site Tuesday that she hopes Noah will help her overcome her big-match nerves.

``Yannick Noah will help her to overcome her mental block in big matches, so she can one day win a Grand Slam,'' the Web site said. ``Roland Garros will be the first big objective of this new duo.'' Mauresmo, briefly No. 1 last year and now ranked fourth, will continue to work with coach Loic Courteau. A quarterfinalist or semifinalist at each of the past nine majors she's entered, Mauresmo has only reached one Grand Slam final, losing to Martina Hingis at the 1999 Australian Open.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
If she can get over her mental blocks, she'll be on ustoppable. The same thing happened to Serena after 2001. She had the talent, but had mental blocks. So many times she couldn't close out matches. The same with Amelie.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,041 Posts
Julia1968 said:
Amelie needs a sports psychologist.
What an insight! No one's ever thought of that before.

Speaking of needing a psychologist...

:angel:

If Noah can inspire her to raise her game, great, but I'm not convinced he's going to help that much.

Reactions: mauresmofan

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Amelie needs to address her own self doubts. No one else can do that for her, self belief cannot be taught. It doesn't matter how many times someone tells you how good you are if you don't believe it then it is to no avail.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,041 Posts
Veenut said:
It doesn't matter how many times someone tells you how good you are if you don't believe it then it is to no avail.
Of course not, but telling someone to believe in themself isn't the only way to help them learn to have confidence in themself and their abilities (any more than telling people not to worry is the only way to help them learn to deal with stress).

You can help them figure out what's behind the self-doubt (or the stress, or the nerves, or whatever) and help them figure out more constructive ways to deal with it, help them work on better coping mechanisms.

·
Premium Member
29,328 Posts
At least she is trying to do something to take her to the next level. I still cannot believe she has only reached 1 GS Final, considering the talent and level of her play sometimes.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
This is actually great to hear. It may help, it may not, but at least she's addressing it and pursuing possible solutions. If she weren't looking for solutions, then we'd just sit here and critise her for it, so I think it's great that she's seeking all options. And who knows?! Maybe Noah can spark something in her soul or mind that will make things click! Maybe he won't, but I don't see the harm in it!

I'll reiterate it as well...it's CRAZY that she's only been in ONE slam final! And that was way back in 99 when she wasn't even as technically strong as she is today (my opinion). Hopefully 2005 will turn out to be a bit more fruitful for her!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Hope it works out for Amelie.. She is such an annoying player to support, but I keep supporting her nevertheless!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't agree with the comparison with Serena. Why? Serena showed up to the 2000 Aussie Open, the first Slam since her first Slam victory in 99, out of shape. She struggled throughout the season until Wimbledon, where she was the premier grass court player untill meeting her sister in the semis, where she lost. She lost a poorly played and timidly performed US Open quarterfinal against Lindsay. 2001 was much of the same. Though she made the quarters in all of the Slams up to the US Open, she was often unfocused, out of shape and lacking in the kind of match play to break through some very close matches. Her turn around came at the Canadian Open Final against Capriati, who had beaten her on consecutive occasions. Beating Capriati, coupled with a renewed sense of focus and seriousness (sorely lacking in a long time) matched with a greater level of fitness saw Serena make it to the US Open Final against her sister, good indoor season, and YEC Championship victory (walkover), where she announced that her goal for 2002 was to rise to #1. Though she missed the Aussie Open due to a knee injury, she went on to sweep the rest of the season (heralded most especially at Miami) and the rest is history.

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
I don't agree with the comparison with Serena. Why? Serena showed up to the 2000 Aussie Open, the first Slam since her first Slam victory in 99, out of shape. She struggled throughout the season until Wimbledon, where she was the premier grass court player untill meeting her sister in the semis, where she lost. She lost a poorly played and timidly performed US Open quarterfinal against Lindsay. 2001 was much of the same. Though she made the quarters in all of the Slams up to the US Open, she was often unfocused, out of shape and lacking in the kind of match play to break through some very close matches. Her turn around came at the Canadian Open Final against Capriati, who had beaten her on consecutive occasions. Beating Capriati, coupled with a renewed sense of focus and seriousness (sorely lacking in a long time) matched with a greater level of fitness saw Serena make it to the US Open Final against her sister, good indoor season, and YEC Championship victory (walkover), where she announced that her goal for 2002 was to rise to #1. Though she missed the Aussie Open due to a knee injury, she went on to sweep the rest of the season (heralded most especially at Miami) and the rest is history.
yeah 2002 :scared;
she beaten Capriati in the Scottdale final to unveil a frightening and infamous 2002 season

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hope this will help; there's no way to tell right now, but it's definitely encouraging that she's trying to do everything she can. :D Allez Momo!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.