Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) — France's Amelie Mauresmo beat the Czech Republic's Daja Bedanova 6-3, 7-6 (6) Sunday in the only main draw singles action at the adidas International tennis tournament.
Mauresmo was run ragged by Bedanova in a tough first-round match before winning on a net cord on match point.

Her next opponent will either be Australian wildcard Jaslyn Hewitt - Lleyton's younger sister - or South African Amanda Coetzer, who play on Monday, but Maursemo's thoughts are with next week's Australian Open, where Venus Williams will start as one of the favorites.

"Venus is one of the best players anywhere, there's no question about it," said Mauresmo. "Whether she's going to be unbeatable, you don't know that."

(djp)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Oooh.....Amelie....nice fighting words.:)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I find her statements more in awe of Venus than not. And she's 100% correct nobody is unbeatable in a Slam or a match.:)

Amelie rocks!! She is right on and thanks for the nice words about Vee:)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
What did Amelie say?

They to me are certainly not fighting words. She showed a lot of respect for Venus in what she said and would be unwise to say anything else. I still don't know where you got the caption "Momo not in awe of Venus"

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Sounds to me that Momo is in awe of Venus ;)
Nice words Momo!!

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
To paraphrase Steffi - "When her serve is working, its just very, very difficult, becasue you don't get to play."

I think Amelie measured her words correctly. Venus CAN be unbeatable for long periods of time. (See US hard court season, 2000.) But that doesn't mean this is one of those periods.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with this article...she spoke the truth. She did not criticize Venus at all...if you ask me from my experience in the journalistic world, I say that quote sound like something taken from an press conference with a lead in question...only the writer takes it out of context by applying his own byline that has nothing to do with what she said and it leaves the reader wondering what the writer was trying to get across.

The byline should have read: Mauresmo looks forward to Australian Open or Mauresmo looks to challenge Venus at OZ 2002...even that is more correct than the lame one presented here.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Even at face value, saying your not in awe of someone really isn't an insult, is it? You can respect someone without being awestruck.

But yeah, you've got a bunch of "journalists" who assume no one on the tour is smart enough to know everyone loses sometime, and editors who are trying to sell the article.

Heck, this:
(Sunday Herald Sun, 13th January, 2002)
<i> Mauresmo, 22, sent an unmistakable message [after a] quarter-final loss to Serena Williams at the adidas International on Wednesday night. "She was better than me tonight. I'll get her next time," said the Frenchwoman, who won four titles in five tournaments from last February to May. From softly-spoken Mauresmo, it was a shot across the bows...</i>

got titled "Mauresmo's mean streak"

The lesson here: any article you read, especially those about players attitudes and relationships, needs to be taken with a <s>grain</s> pound of salt.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Not being in awe of someone is not wrong but the way the "awe" is presented makes it kinda bold and challenging. Players should not be in awe of each other..since they see each other all the time and know each other in ways that we fans could only dream of.....Hey maybe some players scratch their butts after they shower...who knows...only the other players do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts