1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open-Mauresmo hopes she can now handle Open pressure
2003-05-26 16:26:01 GMT (Reuters)

By Francois Thomazeau

PARIS, May 26 (Reuters) - Home favourite Amelie Mauresmo won not only her French Open first-round match against compatriot Virginie Razzano on Monday but also a battle against herself.

The French number one won 6-3 7-5 to avoid the humilation she suffered two years ago when she was beaten in the first round by German Jana Kandarr.

In 2001 the influential sports daily L'Equipe had put pressure on the Frenchwoman by saying it was her year. This year the newspaper's magazine supplement has done it again by running a front page story titled: "Amelie's year".

"I'm happy, I'm confident. The first round is somehow the most difficult one to handle," said Mauresmo, who has been all over the French press in the week before the tournament.

Last year, she lost to Argentine Paola Suarez in the fourth round in yet another anticlimax for her and her fans.

"I did not feel any particular tension today. I managed to handle it, I was pretty cool and serene," she said.

With wins this season over both Serena and Venus Williams, Mauresmo, who told the popular French weekly Paris Match this month she had found new peace of mind by meeting the perfect partner, entered the tournament with real ambitions.

And she said she had improved both mentally and physically since her first-round loss two years ago.

"The tension was there and it will always be there. But I learnt how to handle it. I have learned a lesson from two years ago," she said.

"I'm also a better player, both mentally and physically. In two years, I've made a lot of progress."

Perhaps frustrated by Mauresmo's performances in recent years, the Parisian crowd did not show a lot of support for France's number one hope.

"It's true that they were pretty quiet, but maybe it was because I was playing against another French player and they did not want to take sides," she said.

In any case, she ruled out starting the French Open one day relaxed and just happy to be on court.

"The day I stop feeling the pressure and I'm just enjoying myself and taking it easy is when I'm 35, asking for a wild card and playing mixed doubles with Arnaud Clement," she said.

:hearts: :kiss: :drool:

·
Banned
149 Posts
Poor Amelie her nerves must be threaded playing at the French,she has so much more pressure than any other player cuz the crowd want a win from her,and nothing else comes close.I think the more and more she goes in the French the more and more belief she will gain,and if she can win,possibly start for her in Grand slam wins :) I like her I think shes cool :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Allez Amelie!:)

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
she must turn it up for Lina Krasnoroutskaya. I don't think that will be easy by any means. Amelie has a very difficult draw, and she's either going to play herself into great form against quality opposition, or she'll bend and fall early. Let's hope for the former.

·
Banned
149 Posts
She plays Lina,I cant spell her other name :eek: her new hairs so cool :cool: :)

·
Banned
149 Posts
lol OK Im calling her Lina K,will be simplefier for me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts