1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
182,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosters Announced For Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy

By Tennis Week
09/23/2003

The International Tennis Hall of Fame announced the rosters for the United States and Great Britain teams that will contest the Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy at the Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island, October 2nd-4th.

Several of the top girls' 18-and-under players from both nations will compete in 11 matches over three days (nine singles and two doubles matches). The event is officially sanctioned by the USTA and The Lawn Tennis Association of Great Britain.

The United States has won 18 of the 28 meetings between the two nations in this competition.

Team USA

Whitney Deason, 17, of Houston, Texas has been ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the 12s, 14s, 16s and 18s with USTA Texas Section and has held a USTA national ranking of No. 2 in Girls 18s. She was a singles and doubles winner in the 2001 Girls' 16s Orange Bowl. Whitney was also selected to the Fed Cup Junior Team in 2002. Whitney is the recipient of three USTA National Sportsmanship Awards and received the 2002 USTA Sections Mary Lowden Sportsmanship Award.

Vania King, of Long Beach California, has had a breakout year in 2003, posting an 8-3 singles record and a 7-3 doubles record. At 14, she currently holds a USTA national ranking of No. 6. She reached the singles quarterfinal at the Super National Hard Courts (Girls' 18s) in San Jose in August, and took third place in singles at The Easter Bowl (Girls' 18s) in Palm Springs in April. She reached the singles quarterfinals at the German Open in June and the doubles semifinals (with Sarah Fansler) at the Dutch Open in July.

Eighteen-year-old Iris Ichim of Woodland Hills, California is currently the No. 1 USTA nationally ranked junior girl 18 and under. In singles this year she has compiled a 23-13 record and 16-9 in doubles. She finished the 2002 tennis season with an ITF junior singles ranking of 102, and has since moved up 54 spots to her current No. 48 junior ranking. This year, Iris finished in third place at the Super National Hard Courts in San Jose, was a doubles semifinalist at Wimbledon and a doubles quarterfinalist at both Roland Garros and the Italian Open.

At age 15, Elizabeth Kobak of Old Westbury, New York is a USTA junior standout, as she is currently the USTA’s national No. 4 player in the Girls 16 and Under. In August, Liz won the 16s Super National Hard Court singles title in San Diego and also reached the 16s doubles quarterfinal with partner Jennifer Stevens. She is a consistent and competitive player. In April, Liz was also honored with the ATP Gator Bowl Sportsmanship Award.

Megan Falcon, 18, is a former USTA national No. 1 ranked player (Girls' 16s). She currently holds an ITF junior singles ranking of No. 61 and an ITF junior doubles ranking of No. 32. She was a singles quarterfinalist at the Super National Hard Courts in San Jose. She reached the doubles semifinals at Wimbledon with partner Adriana Penas of Spain in July.

USA Captain Mervyn Webster coached the 2002 U.S. Team for the Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy in Bournemouth, England and the 2003 U.S. Team for the Maureen Connolly Brinker Cup in Sea Island, Georgia. Webster has worked with all levels of players from beginner to Top 10 ranked players and has coached junior players to national and Grand Slam titles. In 1996-1997 he was coach of Springfield Lasers World Team Tennis franchise. Webster coached the Wichita Advantage of World Team Tennis from 1991-1994, winning the WTT Championships in 1993. Webster was named U.S. Professional Tennis Association (USPTA) Touring Coach of the Year in 1994 and has been a USPTA Level 1 professional since 1976.

Team Great Britain

Six years after winning the 12 and under National Championships, 17-year-old Katie O’Brien re-affirmed her place in British junior tennis when she was crowned 18 and under Junior National Champion this year. Katie, from Hull, England, made her major move up the rankings in 2002 after winning two Junior ITF titles, the Bierumaki Junior Cup and the Team Leschly Danish Junior Cup. Katie, who still has another year (2004) on the junior circuit, continued on last year’s good form making it to the last 16 at this year’s Wimbledon Junior Championships and reaching the semifinals of both the Appletise Winchester Junior Tournament and the Kramfors Junior Challenge.

Claire Peterzan, 16, from Wimbledon, England reached the semifinals of the Doring Berlin Junior Open in July and prior to this was runner up at The Scottish Junior International Championships losing to compatriot Hannah Grady in the final. Success came in the doubles when Claire teamed up with sister Laura to take The Scottish Junior International doubles title.

Laura Peterzan, 15, younger sister of Claire, has emerged this year to establish a name of her own among the British juniors. Laura was champion at the ITF event in Nottingham and a quarterfinalist at the Rushbrooke Junior International. However, perhaps her most notable success was her title at the 15 and under Junior National Championships in August. Laura is not new to Team Great Britain, as she has represented her country in the European Winter and Summer Cups.

Jade Curtis, from Plymouth, Cornwall is the youngest player in the Maureen Connolly Trophy squad at just 14, but is certainly not without her achievements. This year, her first year in ITF Junior events, Jade had success at the Prokom Cup where she made it to the final and then followed this up with a quarterfinal appearance at The Scottish Junior International Championships.

Melanie South, 17, from New Malden, Surrey, started 2003 very strongly, winning the 17th Salk Open title and making it to the semifinals of the Vasteras International Junior Championships in January. She followed this up with a quarterfinal appearance at the LTA International Junior Tournament in Wrexham in February. Melanie’s success was cut short by a knee injury that has kept her out of tennis for a large part of the year. She recently made an impressive comeback at the 18 and under Junior National Championships, making it through to the quarterfinals.

Great Britain Captain Nick Brown is a former U21 British Champion (1980) and National Senior Singles Champion three years later. After leaving the ATP Tour in 1984 to work as a coach to such young talent as Tim Henman, he returned after five years to play seven Davis Cup matches, reached the third round of Wimbledon and achieved a world ranking of 140. He has also had success in doubles with a quarterfinal appearance in the Australian Open and a world doubles ranking of No. 40. Brown is currently the Fed Cup Captain for The Lawn Tennis Association of Great Britain.

Matches will be held on Bill Talbert Stadium Court at the International Tennis Hall of Fame starting daily at 10 a.m. Thursday’s schedule: opening ceremonies followed by four matches; Friday’s schedule: four matches; Saturday’s schedule: three matches, closing ceremonies and the trophy presentation.

Tickets for the Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy at the International Tennis Hall of Fame can be obtained by calling (401) 849-3990. Daily tickets are available for $10 each and a three day combo ticket is available for $25. :eek:

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Not the best british team but with Melanie and Katie we have a chance!

·
Premium Member
182,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAUREEN CONNOLLY CHALLENGE TROPHY

October 2nd - 4th, at the International Tennis Hall of Fame

Matches start daily at 10:00am

Schedule of Play:

Thursday, October 2, 2003

Whitney Deason (USA) (#3 Singles) vs. Claire Peterzan (GB) (#3 Singles)

Vania King (USA) (#4 Singles) vs. Laura Peterzan(GB) (#4 Singles)

Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Singles) vs. Melanie South (GB) (#2 Singles)

Elizabeth Kobak/Whitney Deason (USA) (#2 Doubles*) vs. Claire Peterzan/Laura Peterzan (GB) (#2 Doubles*)

Friday, October 3, 2003

Elizabeth Kobak (USA) (#5 Singles) vs. Jade Curtis (GB) (#5 Singles)

Megan Falcon (USA) (#2 Singles) vs. Katie O'Brien (GB) (#1 Singles)

Vania King (USA) (#4 Singles) vs. Claire Peterzan (GB) (#3 Singles)

Whitney Deason (USA) (#3 Singles) vs. Laura Peterzan (GB) (#4 Singles)

Saturday, October 4, 2003

Whitney Deason (USA) (#2 Singles) vs. Melanie South (GB) (#2 Singles)

Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Singles) vs. Katie O'Brien (GB) (#1 Singles)

Megan Falcon/Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Doubles*) vs. Katie O'Brien/Melanie South (GB) (#1 Doubles*)

Closing Ceremonies & Trophy Presentation

TEAM USA

#1 Iris Ichim (USA)

#2 Megan Falcon (USA)

#3 Whitney Deason (USA)

#4 Vania King (USA)

#5 Elizabeth Kobak (USA)

USA Team Captain: Mervyn Webster

TEAM GREAT BRITAIN

#1 Katie O'Brien (GB)

#2 Melanie South (GB)

#3 Claire Peterzan (GB)

#4 Laura Peterzan (GB)

#5 Jade Curtis (GB)

Great Britain Team Captain: Nick Brown

* Doubles Pairings are subject to change.

·
Premium Member
182,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maureen Connolly Challenge Trophy at the International Tennis Hall of Fame

Day 1 Results:

USA leads Great Britain 3-0

Thursday's Results:

Whitney Deason (USA) (#3 Singles) d. Claire Peterzan (GB) (#3 Singles) 64, 76(1) :woohoo: :hearts:

Vania King (USA) (#4 Singles) d. Laura Peterzan(GB) (#4 Singles) 62, 63

Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Singles) d. Melanie South (GB) (#2 Singles) 67(5), 64, 62 :sad: :(

(Doubles substitution, Team Great Britain, Jade Curtis in for Laura Peterzan)

Elizabeth Kobak/Whitney Deason (USA) (#2 Doubles*) vs. Claire Peterzan/Jade Curtis (GB) (#2 Doubles*) – play suspended due to rain. Peterzan/Curtis leads Kobak/Deason 64, 4 all

Friday Schedule of Play - matches begin at 10:00am
Elizabeth Kobak (USA) (#5 Singles) vs. Jade Curtis (GB) (#5 Singles)

Megan Falcon (USA) (#2 Singles) vs. Katie O’Brien (GB) (#1 Singles)

Vania King (USA) (#4 Singles) vs. Claire Peterzan (GB) (#3 Singles)

Whitney Deason (USA) (#3 Singles) vs. Laura Peterzan (GB) (#4 Singles)

Saturday, October 4, 2003 - Schedule of Play

Whitney Deason (USA) (#2 Singles) vs. Melanie South (GB) (#2 Singles)

Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Singles) vs. Katie O’Brien (GB) (#1 Singles)

Megan Falcon/Iris Ichim (USA) (#1 Doubles*) vs. Katie O’Brien/ Melanie South (GB) (#1 Doubles*)

followed by the Closing Ceremonies & Trophy Presentation

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
RESULTS: USA leads Great Britain 6-2

Friday, October 3, 2003 - Results
Elizabeth Kobak (USA) (#5 Singles) d. Jade Curtis (GB) (#5 Singles) 61, 76(2)
Katie O’Brien (GB) (#1 Singles) d. Megan Falcon (USA) (#2 Singles) 64, 16, 61
Vania King (USA) (#4 Singles) d. Claire Peterzan (GB) (#3 Singles) 64, 60
Whitney Deason (USA) (#3 Singles) d. Laura Peterzan (GB) (#4 Singles) 61, 57, 61
Claire Peterzan/Jade Curtis* (GB) (#2 Doubles) d.
Elizabeth Kobak/Vania King** (USA) (#2 Doubles) 64, 57, 75

* Team Great Britain Doubles: Jade Curtis substitutes for Laura Peterzan
** Team USA Doubles: Vania King substitutes for Whitney Deason

·
Premium Member
182,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well done Whitney :) :yeah: :)
but losing a set :eek: not good

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Katie O’Brien (GB) (#1 Singles) d. Iris Ichim (USA) 6-0 6-3

Megan Falcon (USA) d. Melanie South (GB) 6-3 6-3

Katie O’Brien (GB) & Melanie South (GB) d. Iris Ichim (USA) & Megan Falcon (USA) 6-4 6-2

Total score

USA 7 GB 4

The first set and 3 games of the second set of Falcon vs. South match was played outdoors on grass. Conditions were awful It was very very windy and moisty. Then it started raining pretty badly and the rest of play has been moved indoors (hard court).

Iris was awful. She could hardly take a point until 5-0 in the first set. I'm not impressed with Falcon either. The girl hasn't shown anything really special, but her attitude is so bad. She used f word couple of times (chair umpire didn't hear), was called foot faults probably 10 or more times and every time she showed an attitude of, at least, a GS finalist... (she wishes). She also tried to intimidate linesmen on other occasions... I had been so excited about seeing her, but have only negative impressions about her.

British girls, on the other hand, had a good attitude (especially when they played doubles)... smiles, jokes (between themselves), just really nice girls. I was impressed with both of them. O'Brien is a better singles player (hits ball very hard), but South IMO is a better doubles player, has better hands and court sense.

I could be off in the scoreline by a game here and there, but it's not more than that.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Tenn_ace, I think you're right Melanie South is the better doubles player of the 2. When I saw them playing together at Sunderland, at times Katie O'Brien really wasn't confident of her positiioning on the doubles court. So "court sense" is the right term!

As to the singles matches, I'm surprised that Ichim lost so easily to O'Brien, although I do think Falcon has got a lot more long-term potential than Ichim, having seen her play 5 or 6 times.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You words about Megan and Iris

The competition was wonderful, not accounting the weather. You may be right about Iris not playing very well, but also don't forget that our girls (USA) do not play much on grass. From your writing I gatter that you are from Britain?? It really doesn't matter, because it was just a joy watching these wonderful tennis player play.

I think it is idiotic to say that Iris played awful, when infact she had to have had done something to be ranked number one in the Nation. I also don't think that Megan foot faulted 10 times?? That is a little exagerated. Neither, or any of us heard Megan us such words. I would think that the US captian would caught that, don't you think??

I did agree with you on one thing! I do think hat Megan has a much brighter future than Iris or any of the girls on the team. I've actually seen her play on a few ocassions and she has pushed many top WTA players. I wish them both the best of luck, and congradulate the whole team on the victory.

Also, don't forget that Megan was injured when she went three sets with O'Brian. Iris may have lost to O'Brian badly, but she also defeated megan at the US Nationals in the quarters. Megan on the other hand had a 15 to 20 match winning streak in England in Women and Challenger tournaments.

Lets also not forget Vania King, the 15 year old who is looking like she may turn some heads next year. Deason was fine, but I must admit she hasn't improved as much as Kobak, Falcon, or Ichim. I don't know King to well. This was my first chance to see her play.

Go USA

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
oh please...

Iris is not ranked #1... check your facts. but that not the point: you can be ranked #1 and play awful on a certain day, just like she did.

Falcon did foot fault as many time as I said (especially if you add singles and doubles). I stop counting at 7. And she did use the f word, but on both occasions she turned away from a chair and her coach. I'm not deaf. (why would I say that about her and not about Iris or any other girls??? :rolleyes: )

I'd be really interested what WTA players she actually pushed... Names, please?

BTW, I'm not British...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't get so upset

Come on now....

Don't get upset.. No one called you a liar? If you are American, you should not be talking negatively about our players. But, I don want to respond to your comments. Please take it nicely!

- Iris is ranked #1, and that does mean something. Now think about all the hours this girl has spent, let alone the good results to get that ranking. She did reach the Semi Finals of the Hard courts, and beat last years Champion Podkolzina 6-0 in the first and up 3-0. She also had, I believe match points against Lynetskaya (WTA top 200) from Russia at Orange Bowl 2003.

- Assuming that Megan did use the four letter "f" word a few times, does this make her to a bad player. If she has a track record of doing this, I could understand.... but, lets look it more than jus one week. As a women, I can tell you that you just have some mood swings.

As far as you questioning my statement of her pushing good WTA players, who is calling who a liar?? (Just Kidding..lol) I also saw with my own eyes in one these matches. She was a wild card at a big WTA event at Stanford (Bank Of The West??) She was playing #45 WTA player Maria Vento Kabchi, who last year was ranked in high 90's. Megan was up 2-0 in the third set, and then she twisted her knee or ankle. It was sad, but thatwas a good push?? She also defeated Melissa Torres (WTA high 200's) in two sets, and most impressively in Mexico City. Melissa was #1 Fed Cup player for Mexico last year, when Megan beat her. I am sure that the house was packed and it was a hard crowed to win over. Read about it on www.*****************, this was in mid or late December last year. She also defeated Shuai Peng (Asia's biggest talent) at Orange Bowl. Shuai is also around 2or300's. Shuai has beat Sharapova 3 out of 4 times. I did see the third set of Shuai match. I missed the first two sets, watching Ally Baker.

By the way, when I was looking for results to prove you my case, I saw many articles from LTA. Megan played a 10,000 in Felixtowe ?? sorry, if the spelling is wrong. She won a couple matches to qualify and reached the semi finals where she lost in 3 sets. Then the next week she played a LTA prize money/pro tournament which coincided with another LTA prize money/under 21. Megan won both events winning like 10 matches in a row. She had 21 wins and 3 losses in 3 weeks in England on grass! That is pretty good for an American on grass.

Hey, I am curious to know what you think of Julia Cohen. Do you think she can ever become a top WTA player??

Good Day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
tenpal101 said:
Come on now....

Don't get upset.. No one called you a liar? If you are American, you should not be talking negatively about our players. But, I don want to respond to your comments. Please take it nicely!

- Iris is ranked #1, and that does mean something. Now think about all the hours this girl has spent, let alone the good results to get that ranking. She did reach the Semi Finals of the Hard courts, and beat last years Champion Podkolzina 6-0 in the first and up 3-0. She also had, I believe match points against Lynetskaya (WTA top 200) from Russia at Orange Bowl 2003.

- Assuming that Megan did use the four letter "f" word a few times, does this make her to a bad player. If she has a track record of doing this, I could understand.... but, lets look it more than jus one week. As a women, I can tell you that you just have some mood swings.

As far as you questioning my statement of her pushing good WTA players, who is calling who a liar?? (Just Kidding..lol) I also saw with my own eyes in one these matches. She was a wild card at a big WTA event at Stanford (Bank Of The West??) She was playing #45 WTA player Maria Vento Kabchi, who last year was ranked in high 90's. Megan was up 2-0 in the third set, and then she twisted her knee or ankle. It was sad, but thatwas a good push?? She also defeated Melissa Torres (WTA high 200's) in two sets, and most impressively in Mexico City. Melissa was #1 Fed Cup player for Mexico last year, when Megan beat her. I am sure that the house was packed and it was a hard crowed to win over. Read about it on www.*****************, this was in mid or late December last year. She also defeated Shuai Peng (Asia's biggest talent) at Orange Bowl. Shuai is also around 2or300's. Shuai has beat Sharapova 3 out of 4 times. I did see the third set of Shuai match. I missed the first two sets, watching Ally Baker.

By the way, when I was looking for results to prove you my case, I saw many articles from LTA. Megan played a 10,000 in Felixtowe ?? sorry, if the spelling is wrong. She won a couple matches to qualify and reached the semi finals where she lost in 3 sets. Then the next week she played a LTA prize money/pro tournament which coincided with another LTA prize money/under 21. Megan won both events winning like 10 matches in a row. She had 21 wins and 3 losses in 3 weeks in England on grass! That is pretty good for an American on grass.

Hey, I am curious to know what you think of Julia Cohen. Do you think she can ever become a top WTA player??

Good Day!
:bounce: :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Megan Falcon made the breakthrough

rosemary bonadon said:
I agree with tenpal 101, Falcon is an upcoming pro tennis player. She had heart. She will get it together and watch out.
Guess what fokes>>??? Megan Falcon won her firs match in her first WTA debut against a top 100 WTA clay court specialist. Gala Garcia. Check out www.copacolsanitas.com go to monday the 23rd. Also great archive on wtatour.com

Go Megan Go Megan Gooooooooo!

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
yeap... great win against a player, who is on such a streak....

losses in a row to

Wimbledon (grass)
Sucha 2-6 6-4 1-6

Palermo (clay)
Nagyova 6-4 5-7 1-6

Helsinki (clay)
Chladkova 3-6 2-6

US Open (hard court)
Razzano 1-6 0-6

Sydney (hard court)
Black 4-6 2-6

AO Open (hard court)