Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everybody is bitching about Eugenie Bouchard’s wild cards, but I think that BMS has her beat.

Eight wild cards into the US Open (2016, 2015, 2012, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001).
Seven wild cards into Indian Wells (2017, 2015, 2013, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2003).
Five wild cards into Charleston (2018, 2017, 2015, 2012, 2008).

Surprisingly, BMS has received only THREE wild cards into Miami (2018, 2017, 2003), but she has clearly upped her game at this American tournament in recent years.

Is there really such overwhelming demand in the U.S. to watch BMS play singles?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Re: Bethanie Mattek-Sands has received ELEVEN wild cards into Indian Wells and Charle

To be fair, her ones this year have been due to the fact she is returning from injury.

But, good point. I guess when you're America's Cheerleader on social media, the goodwill from home tournaments swells...

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts
Re: Bethanie Mattek-Sands has received ELEVEN wild cards into Indian Wells and Charle

Bethanie does not draw the crowds the same way Genie does. But then again, nobody does.

·
Registered
16,196 Posts

6 WC in 10 years for a local tournament.. she's been injured too many times, causing her to lose her ranking.
Same for Indian Wells. 10 years with lots injury interruption.

Yes, there is a huge demand for Bethany. She is a joy to watch.
I bet there is also a huge demand for Bouchard in Canada. And a big one for Sharapova in Siberia for various reasons.

It's all local. :)
Get it?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts

They respect and reward her net game.

Best volleyer on tour.

·
Art & Futures
20,301 Posts

Who doesn't want to tune in for her fashion sense? :eek:h:

·
Registered
23,292 Posts

BMS has had a few returns from injury in her career which correlated to a bunch of wild cards over the years. Not to mention she had some time where she was focusing on doubles and was at the top of the game there entering the major tournaments and her singles ranking wasn't high enough to get her into those main draws, hence being a pretty easy wild card choice.

·
Registered
208 Posts

It appears Bethanie Mattek-Sands has friends in very high places. Don’t forget, she somehow someway managed to get ridiculous TUEs a few years ago that were eventually struck down by WADA.

·
Premium Member
181,803 Posts

Bethanie does not draw the crowds the same way Genie does. But then again, nobody does.
Wasn’t it an empty stadium last match ?

·
Premium Member
181,803 Posts

Everybody is bitching about Eugenie Bouchard’s wild cards, but I think that BMS has her beat.

Six wild cards into Indian Wells (2017, 2015, 2013, 2010, 2008, 2007).

Surprisingly, BMS has received only TWO wild cards into Miami (2018, 2017), but she has clearly upped her game at this American tournament in recent years.

Big diff is those 11 have been in career. She’s 33

·
Registered
11,707 Posts

Yeah, her first round match at IW was PACKED. What was it ESPN called her again? Oh right. #afterthought.
She'd still put more bums on seats than Genie on any day at any tournament... I mean so would many other players, but I'm basically just taking the piss out of the delusional airhead known as BlueTrees here.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

I wonder if she is in contention for a Wimbledon WC this year? Does have a bit of a grass pedigree, received a MDWC last year and there may be a bit of guilt / compassion with her injury last which has kept out for the best part of the year, particularly with the treatment not being immediately. I'd prefer they were used elsewhere, but wouldn't be a major surprise.

·
Art & Futures
20,301 Posts

I have a feeling too that Bethanie is very good at charming and networking with tournament directors and the like.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts

Six wild cards into Indian Wells (2017, 2015, 2013, 2010, 2008, 2007).

Surprisingly, BMS has received only TWO wild cards into Miami (2018, 2017), but she has clearly upped her game at this American tournament in recent years.

I didn't realize she received so many.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
1 - 20 of 121 Posts