Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically since she was always one of my favourties and has now retired i was gonna get one of her Grand Slams on video for a memory. As i would say i wasnt really a big fan in 97, i really got into her in 98 just wondering which one would be the best to buy. I kinda think her Wimbeldon victory as it went to 3 sets? Or her 1st?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Jeez...that´s a though one. The thing´s that almost her slam victories came in straight sets, before the coming-out of the williamses.

· Registered
18,664 Posts
Do you actually ever post without mentioning the willis?

· Banned
3,883 Posts
Her 97 Australian Open, Not only was that her First Grand Slam win, it shows her at a young age, fully of cockyniess and Agression.

Ofcourse if you want something more mature and natured the 98 or 99 Australian Open is a added bonus.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Martian KC said:
Do you actually ever post without mentioning the willis?
I´m only saying that none of those matches( her slam victories) had the drama/quality of her battles against Serena/ Venus.

Let´s see:
All her slam victories came in straight sets....in fact only her ´97 Wimbledon had drama in it....so, that´s worth a buy.

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh I know the games against Venus and Serena are the best. I have the q/f against serena on tape in 2001 AO.

Just liked to have seen one of her victories at 15.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Knizzle said:
She only won one slam in which she defeated a Williams sister at the US Open 97.
Yeah, it´s too bad that her best years came pre-Williams...I think it´s fair to say that none of her finals opponents had the prescence of the Williamses...Pierce, Novotna, Mauresmo, Conchita....all fine players, but even the u.s. open final against a rookie Venus had more press build up and stuff than any of those other matches.

· Registered
19,459 Posts
bandabou said:
Yeah, it´s too bad that her best years came pre-Williams...I think it´s fair to say that none of her finals opponents had the prescence of the Williamses...Pierce, Novotna, Mauresmo, Conchita....all fine players, but even the u.s. open final against a rookie Venus had more press build up and stuff than any of those other matches.
Hingis didn't face the stiffest competition when she won her slams. Not her fault, but true.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Knizzle said:
Hingis didn't face the stiffest competition when she won her slams. Not her fault, but true.
Yeah..still a great champ, but the competition wasn´t all that...

· Registered
10,740 Posts
The most entertaining final she played & won was the Wimbledon final against Novotna. It's just a pity Jana pulled a stomach muscle half way through the second set but Martina played well that day.

Martina has to be given credit for her slam titles as you can only beat who has been put in front of you, but that Novotna win was probably her highest calibre slam final victory due to Jana being at the top of her game for those couple of seasons ( i.e '97 - '98 ) and was seeded #3 in the event. Martinez in the Australian Open final was seeded #8 while in the other slams that Hingis won Venus Williams, Mary Pierce & Amelie Mauresmo were all unseeded opponents at that time. In fairness to her though she stepped up and grabbed her chances.

· Registered
10,740 Posts
Jen'sFan said:
Still it probably wasnt all that when Graf was around either...Otherwise how could u possibly explain someone winning 22 grand slams.

Well we'll not mention the Seles stabbing, but apart from that Steffi won her slams while there was a lot of stronger opposition around than the fields of '97. She usually had a selection of the following players in the slams draws she won : Navratilova, Evert ( for a few in the '80s ), Sabatini, Sanchez Vicario, Seles, Mary Joe Fernandez, Novotna, Sukova - all of whom who would have fancied their chances if they'd been playing or at their peaks in '97, '98.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.