Tennis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a heavy topspin forehand (with pretty high clearance over the net) I am playing a guy that I have always had problems with....

He gives a lot of no pace balls (is a pretty big guy) but gets a lot of balls back(a lot!)...The last time I played him I won 7-6 7-5...I tried to bring him out of possition by playing a mid-court slice and then hammering the ball deep...it worked....

What are some other tactics I could use? He has a weak backhand that he just slices...I was thinking perhaps hit at his feet b/c he does give me a lot of very attackable balls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,448 Posts
honey, just go to the net as soon as u hit to his backhand. usually its easier to slice crosscourt than DTL, so when u go to the net u can hit some volley winners. if speed is the problem, try wrong footing him. how, well, that depends on your shots.good luck!kck some butt!6-2 6-3.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
Well, the obvious #1 tactic would seem to be to twat your forehand to his bh, and rush the net to put away his weak reply... assuming you're happy with volleying and volleying winners...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
controlfreak said:
Well, the obvious #1 tactic would seem to be to twat your forehand to his bh, and rush the net to put away his weak reply... assuming you're happy with volleying and volleying winners...
I don't like the net all that much...and his backhand is weak...but not 'that weak'
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,130 Posts
i have the same problems as u mexicotrip against a similar opponent. if u dont like going to the net why dont you make HIM go the net...hit alot of short balls, if he is as defensive as he sounds he shouldnt feel at home volleying (an offensive shot)...

so give him alot of dink short balls, then lob or hit an adequate pass which should be enough.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SM said:
i have the same problems as u mexicotrip against a similar opponent. if u dont like going to the net why dont you make HIM go the net...hit alot of short balls, if he is as defensive as he sounds he shouldnt feel at home volleying (an offensive shot)...

so give him alot of dink short balls, then lob or hit an adequate pass which should be enough.
I tried that a couple times and it worked...that is what I ment by bringing him in :)....thanks everyone :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,078 Posts
Players with a weak side in which they usually only use slice thribe on pace, which u shouldnt give them.

A low pace highly topspinned shot will do well on his backhand. Change ur grip a bit more western if necesary, a little difference in grip can change alot of ur game.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dario88 said:
Players with a weak side in which they usually only use slice thribe on pace, which u shouldnt give them.

A low pace highly topspinned shot will do well on his backhand. Change ur grip a bit more western if necesary, a little difference in grip can change alot of ur game.

Thank you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,731 Posts
I have a probelm similar to this, but hes got a great topspin lob which he can switch to last momment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Move him. A LOT. Play to opposite corners, forcing him to run back and forth. When a player is on the move, they tend to hit right over the middle for the safe shot, (remember: the net is 3 inches lower there) so you should be able to just stay in one place and run the legs off your opponent. Plan on long rallys, and be patient going for the winner. After 3 games or so of nothing but back and forth across the baseline, you will start to see him miss shots as he fatigues. When he gives you an attackable ball, go for the sharp angle putaway.

..Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
i'd say attack his backhand and when he gets in trouble go to net for a volley or when he's out of position or in toruble after attacking his backhand you should be able to run him around a bit and then get open court for a winner. one way to open the court up is to hit to his backhand a couple of times deep into the corner then hit a short slow paced angled shot to his forehand and when he struggles to get that (he'll be struggling after those backhands so if he gets to this shot he'll be out of position for your next shot) hit a winner deep into his backhand side.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top