Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mashona is a pretty big girl! I didn't know that. She hits the ball quite hard too! Geez! Right now, she's beating on my little compatriot, Pelletier.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
TennisPower said:
Mashona is a pretty big girl, I didn't know that! She hits the ball quite hard too! Geez! Right now, she's beating on my little compatriot, Pelletier.
i missed my chance to see her yesterday. grrrr. i saw that she was listed to play doubles (can't remember with whom) but between the deluge that just woldn't stop plus other distractions (i decided to buy a new racket and had a helluva time trying to negotiate with the folks at Sporting Life, double grrrrrr), i never got around to catching her match. glad to see she's doing well. hope she wins!!

the person that impressed me was Sonia Jayerseen (sp). she has such spunk! i love her fearlessness. i saw some of her match against Danilidou and Grande. with any other partner, Sonia would have won. but the American is fit like hell but has no idea how to play doubles tennis. if she poached once i missed the moment. triple grrrrrr.... this match got interrrupted by rain but if Sonia & Co won, i would be shocked.

speaking of your countrywomen, i caught some of the Mo Drake match. she is not as fit in person as i expected. Mo had a bit of a gut on her! and her attitude stank but i suspect it's bec she didn't believe that she could beat Jill. too bad altogether bec she's not lacking in talent. and given the absence ofmost of the big hitters she actually had a chance for onec to make it past the first round. bummer.

but to end where i started -- i'm sorry i missed the chance to see Mashona.

· Registered
11,079 Posts
Mashona won 6-2 5-7 7-5

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Mashona is a huge bitch and I can't stand her. She called a shirt change break when she was down 5-2 in the 3rd.. Marie sucks too...this was like a lower tier of tennis. It felt like I was watching amateurs. And Mashona screamed and yelled when Marie made unforced errors and was such a bitch over every call.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
36,021 Posts
For the first time I think I agree with fried_beans :eek:

Well except for the Pelletier part...I felt like the end of the second set to the middle of that third set Pelletier was playing top 75 tennis!!! She was great! too bad she lost :sad:

· Registered
7,518 Posts
fried_beans said:
Mashona is a huge bitch and I can't stand her. She called a shirt change break when she was down 5-2 in the 3rd.. Marie sucks too...this was like a lower tier of tennis. It felt like I was watching amateurs. And Mashona screamed and yelled when Marie made unforced errors and was such a bitch over every call.
I know that Mashona does have a bit of a temper (she told a rowdy aussie fan to shut up during her match against pratt), but I think you need to be a bit more sympathetic to where she is coming from. This is a woman basically fighting for her dinner. She' had something like 2 or 3 career main draw wins on the tour in 7 years. She hasn't even done particularly well on the challenger circuit this year. To be fortunate enough to draw a WC like Marie-Eve in the first round of a Tier I in a nighttime stadium match with TV cameras is HUGE!! This is basically make or break stuff for Mashona. I'd be a pain in the ass if I knew what was riding on the line as well. She had 2nd round points to defend in Flushing and could very well fall out of the top 200 since she has to go through qualies. She absolutely needs a cushion to fall back on when those points come off. I don't justify taking a shirt break when you're down 5-2, but well sometimes you do things when you're desperate. Marie-Eve should have simply ignored it since she was serving for the match at least once if she was up 5-2. It's a learning experience and she learned it the hard way. Congrats to Mashona, who will probably hit the end of the road against Vera tomorrow, but will get a learning experience playing a top 15 player on a big court once again.

And BTW, amateurs my ass. Throw any amateur up against a top 200 player and the result will no doubt be an ol' fashioned whomping.

· Registered
15,720 Posts
Mashona :)

I saw her play some doubles at Wimby and I really liked her, I saw no evidence of a temper. She and Milly (sequera) had a great time and were always fair, sportsmanlike to their opponents. Good luck Mashona :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.