Registered
10,757 Posts
BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL

January 8, 2020

Maria Sharapova

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

J. BRADY/M. Sharapova

3-6, 6-1, 7-6

Q. Are there any positive information that you can take from this match?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, one of them being that I showed up and I played and it's been awhile. And I think I hit, in total today, over 160 serves, which is a lot for me, considering I haven't played in a few months. So, yeah, it's definitely not the result I would have wanted because I would have loved to play another match, another opportunity, but that's this game.

Q. The physical aspect, how are you feeling right now?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It was a long match. As I said I haven't played in a while. I think this is going to be a good test for my shoulder, not so much right now, but maybe tomorrow and the day after to see how I feel. I definitely lost like speed on it and strength toward the end of the match, but that comes with time. I have to be patient with that.

Q. How was your off-season and how are you feeling heading into 2020 overall?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I had a fairly solid off-season. Spent most of it in Italy with Ricardo and his team and that was nice. 2020 hasn't been very eventful so far. I've been fighting virus for a couple weeks and ended up in the hospital the other day, so that wasn't fun either, but.

Q. What sent you to the hospital?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I just couldn't keep anything in. That's the extent that I'm going to share with you, just for your safety (laughing).

Q. Just, back on the match, Maria, you started incredibly well, seemed like everything was really sharp, returning especially, it seemed like things were clicking. Were there adjustments that she kind of made after that in the second set that you felt kind of hindered you, or was it just more match play, the fatigue setting in? What do you think changed?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You know what, I think I only had two breakpoint opportunities in the whole match. Considering it was a match over two hours long, that's not a large number. So you can saying she served really solid and well, but I don't think I did enough there. I didn't put enough pressure on her from that end. I did take my opportunity in that first break in the first set and was really solid to close out that first set. And then I thought she did a really good job of taking care of her service games.

Q. And then in the third set, did you feel as though, you kept having to come through those tight service games, having to fight through, and was, did the kind of competitive -- I know you haven't been in match play -- but did the instincts kind of take over at that point, because it felt like maybe the game wasn't there consistently for you, but to take it into the tiebreaker was quite impressive.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, I think I'm always disappointed because it's a result-oriented sport. But I have to be proud of my effort because it's, you know, to get to that situation. And, yes, there were a lot of ups and downs and there are a lot of improvements I need to make. But I fought really hard in today's match, just getting out there and playing after having a rough couple of days, I think is a really good effort, and I think I did a lot better than I expected of my body today.

Q. You've played here a few times before. This tournament's just different obviously this year because the ATP Cup moved in and pushed the women's matches to the outer courts for the first several days. I'm just curious what you make of the change this time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, you definitely recognize it and notice it. Feels like a little bit of a secondhand event. I don't know what you guys feel, I think. But, yeah, I'm sure that will change once, I think on Thursday the girls go back on center court. But it's definitely a bit of a strange strategic move. I'm not sure what -- I heard that, because the way that the court is constructed, that it's not regulation for us to be playing on center court with the benches on the side. So I don't know what else it might be that's preventing, because I think there's a lot of girls that are deserving of that center court spot in this draw. I think there are six out of Top-10 players.

Q. When you say strategic, whose strategy are you talking about? Are you talking about the tournament, the WTA, or who are you talking about?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's everyone's, right? Everyone should have a conversation about it. But that's just my outside view. I mean --

Q. You're pretty inside.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I honestly am not really. Like I don't know anything. I don't even know the rules of what's going on in there. Like I don't know. Probably most of you don't either so (laughing).

Q. You are ranked outside the cut for Melbourne. Are you expecting to get a wildcard?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think so, yeah.

Q. Will you play qualies if not?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think I'm going to get one.

Q. You've been told that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You can ask Craig Tiley. I think he knows better.

Q. What is your level of optimism compared to last fall to now as far as how your shoulder might hold up to playing more tournaments in 2020?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Honestly, I don't know. There were times in the year where I was optimistic and it didn't. My optimism didn't follow up with how I really thought I would prevail and where I would feel. I didn't expect to play so little amount in 2019. So for me to say that I'm optimistic, I think it would be challenging, but I'm doing all the right work and I've done everything I could. I get asked about my shoulder, I think, in every interview that I do and the bottom line is I have a damaged shoulder that I've had and operated on, so it's not something that I'm going to wake up and be, like, I feel perfect. But a lot of it is managing the pain and doing all the right things and taking care of the rest of the body so that it helps the shoulder. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, that it's not just about the shoulder, it's also making sure everything else -- I spent a lot of time in the off-season working on my strength and my body, and more than I've ever done in my career, to help that joint.

Q. If there were a magic solution you would have found it by now?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, I've done everything that I could for it, yeah.

Q. What's it been like for you at this stage in your career doing the new Piatti tee thing, being part of that environment?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's just so hot in here. Oh, my God.

Q. Being in a more team academy environment singing Christmas songs with Jannik Sinner, what were those things like?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I did not think I would end up doing that, but I surprised myself.

Q. It was a surprise.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It really is. I really enjoyed it. I've enjoyed working with Ricardo. I've enjoyed working with his entire team and I love going back there. There's something really quaint and simple, and he's almost like a father figure, in a way, where he has so much experience. And I feel like at this stage in my career I've been through a lot, a lot of coaches, and a lot of, some of the greatest coaches in the world that I've had success with, and I feel like it's a really good place for me to be, his just sharing his wisdom and years of experience, and maybe not so much on the women's tour, but I've played this game for a long time so it's not so much technical as maybe more of a broader perspective. But when I came to him in July I went to see him to help me with my serve and help maybe look for a motion that will help my shoulder and maybe alleviate the pain a little bit, and that was like my first -- my goal of going to see him, because he is very technical and he works with video analysis a lot. So we really were like working on to see where my position of the shoulder is and where the pain was coming from, and all that. So he's done a really good thorough job of helping me with that and he has a good system in place for that. Yeah, and the people that, you know, he has alongside himself are really good quality people and I love the work that I do with them.

Q. Two days ago I saw a post that you were hospitalized. Is that correct? Can I ask you what happened?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I just said it. I had a virus. I had a virus and it went into my stomach.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

·
Registered
52,979 Posts

·
Registered
52,979 Posts

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Maria Sharapova awarded AO2020 wildcard

ausopen.com
11 January 2020

Maria Sharapova will receive an Australian Open wildcard as she attempts to regain some of the form that won her the title in 2008.

The announcement is positive news for the Russian after a Brisbane International first-round loss on Tuesday night, which added to a less-than-ideal Grand Slam build-up that included a trip to the hospital.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley revealed on Wednesday that former world No.1 and five-time major champion Sharapova will receive a wildcard entry as she attempts to improve her current world ranking of No.147.

"To be in the draw of the Australian Open is incredible," Sharapova said.

"I've had wonderful experiences there, from holding the championship trophy to losing some very tough finals as well -- there's been a lot of ups and downs in Australia.

"So to have another chance, another opportunity, to compete on all those courts is very special.

"I've always structured my schedule to compete the best that I can to be in the best physical shape for those tournaments. It's never really been so much about ranking; (it's more about) can I get further maybe than the previous year? Can I do better? Can I challenge myself?

"So it's kind of always been my thinking process, but even more so because I have to be a little bit smarter toward the end of my career."

Sharapova was disappointed after being bounced out of the Brisbane International by American qualifier Jennifer Brady in three tough sets.

The 32-year-old is battling after being frustrated by a recurring shoulder complaint that limited her to just eight events and 15 matches in 2019.

But it wasn't the shoulder that caused problems before the Brisbane International, her first tournament since last September's US Open.

"I've been fighting virus for a couple weeks and ended up in the hospital the other day, so that wasn't fun," she revealed.

"I just couldn't keep anything in (but) that's the extent that I'm going to share with you."

Despite her build-up, Sharapova initially didn't show any signs of rust in her opening clash with world No.53 Brady. However, the more the American qualifier fought, the more Sharapova fatigued on Brisbane's stadium court.

"I think I'm always disappointed because it's a result-oriented sport but I have to be proud of my effort," she said.

"Yes there are a lot of improvements I need to make but I fought really hard. I think I did a lot better than I expected of my body."

The Australian Open begins at Melbourne Park on Monday 20 January.

Maria Sharapova awarded AO2020 wildcard

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Former champion Maria Sharapova is ready to make the most of her Australian Open wildcard

Herald Sun
January 12, 2020

Maria Sharapova will use memories of her rampaging 2008 Melbourne Park title triumph as inspiration as the Russian attempts to capitalise on an Australian Open singles wildcard.

It is 12 years since former world No. 1 Sharapova contrived one of the most emphatic bursts of sustained excellence at Melbourne Park, where she is also a triple runner-up.

Now ranked 147th in the world, Sharapova was spared the rigours of qualifying this week as Tennis Australia acknowledged her 57-12 record at the Open.

Beaten in the first round at the Brisbane International, Sharapova craves another deep run to match the now distant 2008 season when she lifted the title without dropping a set.

“The championships’ moment is always one you can look back to and reflect on,” the five-time major winner said.

“I think that’s always very memorable.

“I do remember before the 2008 tournament, the draw came out and I felt pretty good going into the season.

“I felt healthy, felt ready, just come off a pretty solid year in the rankings and results-wise.

“Then I got the draw and I drew Lindsay Davenport in the second round.

“I was like ‘I think I’m ready, I hope I’m ready’ and with every match you feel like the strength inside you to keep going.

“It (the Davenport match) was one of the best matches that I played in the tournament.

“I still believe until this day, it was one of the toughest draws I’ve had in a grand slam and I prevailed.

“So no matter how the draws are until today, I always look back to that memory and how I came through and have some really great results.”

Victory over Davenport was followed by wins against reigning world No. 1 Justine Henin, Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.

Sharapova, 32, has shed the virus which laid her low in Queensland and she now covets an uncomplicated run at one of her favourite events.

“I’ve been here many, many years and it has been an incredible journey being here, experiencing the highs and lows, being the champion in 2008, having some of the best matches of my career,” she said.

“From an outside perspective, seeing the growth of this event has probably been the most impressive of any tournament that I’ve been a part of – and I’ve been a part of many.

“From the fans perspective, from an individual player’s perspective, the facilities that you’re bringing year in, year out to us, making our lives so much easier so that we can go out on the court and perform the very best that we can.

“From a fan’s perspective, I think you hear it all the time when you think of the best tournament in the world, you think of coming to the Australian Open and just having an amazing time.

“This is another year in my journey and I’m grateful to Craig (Tiley) and Tennis Australia to be in the main draw.

“I look forward to nine days that we begin the tournament.”

Category: | Herald Sun

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
So she was suffering the effects of another weeks long virus. I wish Maria would really concentrate on strengthening her immune system; she's always been been too prone to catching whatever is going around.

·
Registered
566 Posts
So she was suffering the effects of another weeks long virus. I wish Maria would really concentrate on strengthening her immune system; she's always been been too prone to catching whatever is going around.
She still did compete though and gave herself a chance. Let’s hope she is recovered in time and perhaps a good draw and not having a Serena R1 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Smoke stops Sharapova's match at Kooyong

Melissa Woods
Australian Associated Press
14 Jan 2020, 1:30 pm

Former world No.1 Maria Sharapova says smoke was behind the decision to call off her Kooyong Classic match late in the second set when she started to succumb to the tough conditions.

Taking on German Laura Siegemund in the Australian Open warm-up exhibition tournament with heavy smoke blanketing Melbourne, the players and officials decided to stop play at 5-5 in the second set.

World No.72 Siegemund had won the first set 7-6 (7-4).

Sharapova said she felt a cough coming on as the match stretched past two hours with temperatures on court around 40 degrees.

"I started feeling a cough coming toward the end of the second set but I've been sick for a few weeks so I thought that had something to do with it," Sharapova told SBS after the match.

"But then I heard Laura speak to the umpire and she said she was struggling with it as well.

"We were out there for over two hours so from a health stand point it's the right call from officials."

On the back of a tough run with injuries, Sharapova's ranking has slipped to world 145.

She won the Australian Open in 2008 and has reached the final a further three times.

Despite the decision, Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and Croatian Borna Coric still took to the Kooyong court for the second scheduled match.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
'Stop looking': Maria Sharapova's funny live TV run-in with ex

Digital Staff
7NEWS
Wednesday, 15 January 2020 1:06 pm

Maria Sharapova and her ex-boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov have produced a hilarious moment of live TV at the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne.

After her clash was called off due to hazardous conditions, Sharapova jumped into the commentary booth to provide some insight as Dimitrov prepared to take on Croatian Borna Coric.

While one of the hosts was preparing to ask the women's World No. 145 a question, Sharapova was clearly distracted by Dimitrov, who she used to date from 2013 to 2015.

“He keeps looking over here, can you tell him to stop looking?” Sharapova said refering to Dimitrov.

The Bulgarian tennis star clearly heard the comment from Sharapova and strolled over to the box to see what was going on.

Donning a pair of headphones Dimitrov asked: "What's the commentary here?"

Sharapova seized the opportunity, asking her ex-boyfriend "what about this yellow thing going on," in reference to his bright shorts.

“You like it, huh?” Dimitrov asked.

“No, not really,” Sharapova replied in brutal fashion.

However Dimitrov quickly showed there was no ill-feeling between the pair as he laughed off the joke with a hilarious response.

“I thought you liked yellow on me but that’s OK. People change, I get it,” Dimitrov quipped.

Sharapova recently discussed her relationship with Dimitrov, saying the couple's main issue was bad timing.

“Grigor recently told me...that one of the worst things in life is when you have the right thing at the wrong time,” she wrote in her 2017 autobiography.

“It made me think of an evening we spent before the 2015 Wimbledon tournament. He pulled out a book that Wimbledon puts together of previous championships.

“He quietly flipped through the pages of the book until he found a picture of me, in his box, watching his match. He looked at me, sad — I thought I saw tears in his eyes — ‘Did you see this? This means everything to me. Seeing you in my box next to my mother.’

“It was then, at that moment, that the emotional pull I had been fighting came to an end. I knew, and so did he, that I couldn’t be that person at this time of my life. I was supposed to be focused, getting prepared for my own matches, my own triumphs and defeats, on the largest stage of my career.

“I had been watching his match that day only because I’d lost early at those championships. So his good memory was my bad memory. What meant everything to him happened only because I had lost.”

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Sharapova faces uncertain future: 'I don't have a crystal ball'

January 21, 2020

Five-time major champion Maria Sharapova told reporters she does not know what the future holds after taking her third consecutive first-round loss at a Slam.

MELBOURNE, Australia - Former No.1 Maria Sharapova bowed out in the first round of the 2020 Australian Open, losing 6-3, 6-4 to 19th seed Donna Vekic. After the match, Sharapova told reporters she was uncertain about her future in the sport.

A champion in Melbourne in 2008, Sharapova was asked whether she might have played just played her final Australian Open.

"I don't know," Sharapova told reporters. "I was fortunate to get myself to be here and thankfully to Craig [Tiley] and the team allowing me to be part of this event.

"It's tough for me to tell what's going to happen in 12 months' time."

Having made the Round of 16 last year, Sharapova is set to fall outside the Top 300 after the Australian Open. As a former Slam champion, the Russian may accept an unlimited number of wildcards into events as she looks for match-play, but she said she had not thought much about what her schedule might be going forward.

"Honestly, I'd give you the answer, I just don't know," Sharapova said when asked if she might consider dropping down to play WTA 125K or ITF events. "I haven't thought of my schedule moving forward from here yet."

"I don't have a crystal ball to tell you if I can or if I will [play the number of tournaments I would like], but I would love to, yeah."

Sharapova has endured a tough 12 months since the 2019 Australian Open, as she has had to limit her playing schedule due to injury. Her long-running struggle with her right shoulder forced her out of Roland Garros last fall, then came a forearm injury that forced her to retire in the first round Wimbledon.

After a solid pre-season in Italy with Riccardo Piatti, Sharapova played her first match since the US Open at the Brisbane International two weeks ago. She lost out narrowly in a third-set tiebreak to a surging Jennifer Brady, revealing afterwards that a virus landed her in the hospital just a few days earlier.

"It's tough to say I'm on the right track right now 45 minutes after the match. But there is no way to get out of it except to keep believing in yourself, because if you do do all the right things and you don't believe in yourself, then that's probably a bad formula."

"I think I'm not the only one [going through struggles]," Sharapova said. "I can speak about my struggles and the things that I've gone through with my shoulder, but it's not really in my character to.

"I was there. I put myself out there. As tough as it was, I finished the match and, yeah, it wasn't the way that I wanted."

"As far as the work that I did, yeah, I did all the right things. I put in all the right work. There is no guarantee that even when you do all of those things that you're guaranteed victory in a first round or in the third round or in the final. That's the name of this game.

"That's why it's so special to be a champion, even for one time."

Sharapova faces uncertain future: 'I don't have a crystal ball'

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
According to Maria she hasn’t planned anything beyond Australia...we will see what she does and whether she decides to continue.

·
Registered
566 Posts
According to Maria she hasn’t planned anything beyond Australia...we will see what she does and whether she decides to continue.
Obviously I think it’s due to her ranking not being able to get direct entry to any tournaments. And it’s up to her agent to work out which WCs she gets and if she will head there but I reckon it’ll be great if she will make a trip to Russia and then home to recharge.

I’m quite certain she can get WC in any WTA level tournaments no matter what, she’s a great additional drawcard for any tournaments and been really good with her relationships with the tournament directors.

After watching the PC it is quite hopeful to see her play more as like she pointed out there she won’t go through the off season for just a limited amount of tournaments like Caroline. I hope she can get some form back and finish the year strong.

·
Registered
52,979 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

one match, shoulder fucked up, but honestly I don't even know anymore if I have to believe this, sounds really grotesque this situation.

·
Registered
566 Posts

one match, shoulder fucked up, but honestly I don't even know anymore if I have to believe this, sounds really grotesque this situation.
I think injury is just a better excuse.

Will see what happens next but it’s a good thing she is taking some time off to regroup, must have been a frustrating Australian summer for her.

4381 - 4400 of 4490 Posts