Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well, the chance this match will happen is very small...after a long time-off due to injury, Pierce was walkover at Hong-Kong in the 2nd round (because of injury!) and she was defeated the next week at ANZ in the 2d round (injury again!) ... I don't really see her winning 3 matches to get to this intriguing potential (i agree) clash against Venus!

Hope she gets well soon though...:)

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Not good odds that this match will take place....

HAIL VENUS!!!!!. no doubt the best female tennis player on the planet. No If Only I can pass the SemiFinal of Tennis 2k2 with her.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Go Mary!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Pierce to defeat Venus...?! it's unlikely with Pierce's current form... if she even gets to the 4th round, it'll be a somewhat good achievement...
have to count on Daniela Hantuchova to upset Venus... or maybe Marissa Irvin... ??! unlikely, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed... cos Venus is blocking Monica's path to the final ! :bounce:

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
It would be great if Mary made it that far, but I -like the rest in here- doubt it.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I've always believed that Mary has the game to trouble Venus and hopefully she'll be fit enough to make it and have a shot at her.

Good luck to Mary :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeh - if Mary was on form like we saw at Roland Garros 2000 - it would be a very close match. Let's face it Mary has the game - a more powerful forehand, a more powerful backhand, and a great kick serve. Where Venus would edge her is her own serve and her athleticism. I doubt Mary will get to this stage though, just due to injury, but lets hope so.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,584 Posts
Mary and Venus have played 7 times in the past with Venus leading 5-2... Unfortunately Mary was hurt during Venus's wonderful run, so basically , we will never know what could have happened..
Don't get me wrong, I respect Mary as a player, because when she's on(which is/was not very often) she was great (case in point 2000 French Open) but she can be so erratic and literally throw her matches away( her U.S.Open ¼ final match against Lindsay in '99 comes to mind)
Hence the reason I will pick Venus to win any match between them whether she is healthy or not ...

Here is their head to head.

Venus Williams (USA) vs. Mary Pierce (FRA)
1998-08-03 San Diego Hardcourt QF Mary Pierce (FRA) 2-6 7-6(3) 4-0 ret
1998-08-31 U.S. Open Hardcourt R16 Venus Williams (USA) 6-1 7-6(4)
1998-10-12 Zurich Indoor Hardcourt QF Venus Williams (USA) 6-4 6-1
1998-10-19 Moscow Indoor Carpet SF Mary Pierce (FRA) 2-6 6-2 6-0
1999-04-26 Hamburg Clay F Venus Williams (USA) 6-0 6-3
1999-05-03 Rome Clay F Venus Williams (USA) 6-4 6-2
1999-10-11 Zurich Indoor Hardcourt SF Venus Williams (USA) 6-4 6-4
Venus Williams (USA) leads 5:2
Hard: Venus Williams (USA) leads 3:1
Clay: Venus Williams (USA) leads 2:0
Grass: Tied 0:0
Indoor: Venus Williams (USA) leads 2:1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts