Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I've just watched part of the Pierce match, where she crumbled miserably at the end, and I must say that I am dumb-founded by what I saw.

Mary Pierce was and still could a world-class player with a world-class game. What I just saw was not even a shadow of her former self. It was very sad.

She must be two stone overweight at least - she was f***** huge - almost obese and I never thought I would call her that.

For some reason her service action - a beauty to behold - has changed and now looks really ugly!

Her movement is almost static.

I believe she has totally and utterly lost her way - both physically and mentally. I think she may well be suffering from depression because you can't do that amount of exercise and be in that shape. It just does not happen. Why depression? Inner demonso of the past, misery of the fact that she no longer plays tennis like she used to, splitting up from her fiance. It must be a blow to her senses - she has been a top-top player for the past decade, and is now getting beaten by also-rans like Fernandez purely because she is just so overweight.

I just hope she reassesses and unleash her old self before it is too late - she can't retire like this. To do that the first thing I think she needs to do is be happy again - because there is something going on she ain't telling us.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
I have been Pierce's fan since 1993. I really don't understand what is she thinking nor doing. I'm sure there is something going on with her mind. She was just depressed? I am sad about her performance! :sad:

·
Banned
149 Posts
I think theres always something going on in Marys mind,now what exactly that is?We can never know at times,she is such an enigmatic player,but gave Clarrisa Fernandez credit,she was the fave to win the game,and duly obliged. :) Now Im sad that Mary lost cuz shes one of my fave players,but she shouldnt have taken all that,whats it called? :confused: Is it Kreateen?not sure,but she thought by taking it a quick fix would happen,so ok she won the French but it hasnt did her career any good in the long term facter!

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Anyone have a picture of Mary from this tourney?

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Too bad. Wasn't it just 15 minutes ago she had muscles and a flat stomach and was quite a looker?

Sure she's not secretly pregnant?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
mary is just a complete and utter mess...although i do like that top pic quite a bit...love the smirk....i wish one of her matches would get televised cause we keep seeing photos but i want to see it in action...i wonder what Mary Carillo would say? it just goes to show that some of these reports we get on here saying things like 'oh marys been working/training' just arent true..shes obviously not doing anything

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
It's a shame that injuries have taken their toll. Many "experts" have said that for every month you're off the court, it takes a month to get that fitness back.

With Mary having almost every kind of injury, it would take 2 years probably to get back into shape. I hope she makes a decision soon.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
WOW! What happened to superfit Mary? She needs a lot of work. :eek:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darren - I got to see the match and it wasn't pretty - Mary would just not run and indeed could not run.

Her serve, which was among the best in the women's game, had totally changed. She started off with the racket really low - like Venus - and she was getting a lot less power. I just can't understand why a pro at that age would change something as fundamental as the serve. There was nothing wrong with her serve! Maybe that's another injury.

I hope too that Mary makes a decision soon about what she wants to do. First thing is to be happy and positive again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
SHE LOOKS SO DIFFERENT FROM THIS PIC!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
From being 3-1 up and not winning another game I found that hard to believe.

yes she is overweight not OBESE but she could loose a couple of pounds. Her movement is poor (as it has been for the last 12 months).

i hope she gets back to some kind of form, as she needs it more then I can say.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Disappointing loss for sure. no doubt this'll get Mary thinking about her future, and that really seems to be what she should do. It's been three years now since she last played top calibre tennis or anything close to it. While you have to admire her tenacity, coming back from injury after injury, working through the oncourt setbacks, you've gotta wonder how long Mary's pride will take losses like this.

She's got another decent batch of points off at Wimbledon, too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hate to say it but those pics of Mary are disgraceful. She needs to swallow her pride and go back to Nick and/or Sven pronto. Or, call it a career. But, for her to continue like this is an insult to her former self.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
When I left the scoreboard Mary was up in the second set...I thought she was going to win.

I agree Mary's got to do something about her fitness, she used to be one of the real big babes. And I think if she gets healthy she can make a good run at one of the slams. She can put to rest the idea that after 20 a female tennis player must retire (that is so irratating.)

Anyway in her interview she seems to want to get better and more in shape. Hopefully during the summer season she will be on her way back to form.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Mary did not play well. Big deal. She's got nothing particular to prove out there anymore.

As for her weight, we know she can be very fit and she knows it too. So why isn't she ? Only she can answer that, but I very much doubt she doesn't know what she's doing.

Maybe she's just not aiming as high as before and people are expecting too much of her.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kart - its not that she did not play well - she was a mere shell of what she can do.

Melanie - yeah, it's great to be positive but Mary has said that so many times and come back bouncier than ever. Time is of the essence, and the fact that she thinks she could compete in that shape is quite frankly a disgrace. You are a professional athlete for pity's sake.

I still love Mary but she needs to make some decisions about what she actually trying to do out there. If it is to play tennis, then she needs to be pragmatic and committed and stop wasting her own time because she certainly does not need all these embarassing losses.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts