Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Bonnie DeSimone, Special to ESPN.com
PARIS -- Veteran Mary Pierce of France said Saturday she expects to be in playing shape by this fall, although she's not entirely enthused about coming back on indoor hard court, where she ripped up her left knee last October. Pierce, the 2000 French Open champion, spent six months in Vail, Colo., following surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
"It's been slow," said Pierce, 32. "My injury was actually a very unusual situation and that made it a lot slower to heal. When I hurt my knee, I did something to the bone as well. There's really nothing you can do for that. It just takes time for it to heal."

The former world No. 3 said simple things like taking a shower exhausted her early in her rehab process, but she never considered retiring. "I just remember saying to myself, 'Oh my gosh, this is going to be a lot of work,'" she said. Although she's not pain-free yet, she has done some hitting and thinks her strokes are fine.

Playing in next year's Beijing Olympics remains one of Pierce's chief goals. "I don't know why, but I feel I still have something to do on the court," she said.

A two-time Grand Slam winner (she also won the 1995 Australian Open), Pierce has been attending the French Open daily and had a street on the Roland Garros grounds named after her.

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
:hearts:

:bowdown: Good luck Mary :bowdown:

You can do it :bounce:

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
would love to see her back on court she is my idol!

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
That sounds really encouraging :D

I think skipping the indoor season would be a good idea - I don't think her mind would be 100% in the matches when she's worrying about what happened last year. Hopefully, she's completely ready for the start of 2008, and she can play a warm-up event (like she used to) before the Australian Open.

Maybe Gold Coast, Aukland or Hobart would be good to play instead of Sydney, so she can play some lesser ranked players before being thrown in at the deep end in a Slam.

I can't wait for her return, and I'm so happy to hear that she has such a great attitude :):D

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
I would asl love to see her back..i miss her aggressivness!
i miss her fidgets you know a match is close with mary when she gets to eyelash plucking :drool:
i miss that forehand its the stuff or dreams and a thing of beauty i also miss the sound the ball makes off her racket its like a gun being shot! :drool: :lick:

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
....as long as she doesn't wear those "spectacles" she's currently wearing that make her look like Doc Hansen from Little House on the Prairie.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,752 Posts
I want Mary to retire its time now.

Shes getting older.

·
Registered
904 Posts
good for her yeah, but lets hope she doesn't push it too far and do herself an injury. It's her life though, ans she knows best how her body will hold up. I imagine she'll retire early next year if she doesn't get any results, an ageing champion won't enjoy slogging it out and losing for long, much as I like Mary. I hope things work out for her :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great Mary! Come back only when you're fully prepared and confident to rock the tour again!

·
Registered
14,340 Posts
I don't expect her to win slams or anything but I'd love to see her conquer this obstacle and end her career on her own terms. :yeah:

And come back in Australia. Not indoors.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
What A Fab Attitude !

·
Blighted and solo
43,980 Posts
I really feel like she's the next Martina and will be competitive up until her late 30s!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts