newly released documents that state that about 100 American
sports figures including Carl Lewis were actually allowed
to participate in the Olypmics in the early 1990's despite
testing positive for banned performance enhancement
drugs.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Didnt she only test positive once? To say she's been testing positive over a 12 year period indicates she should consider the Betty Ford clinic.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the BBC news website under tennis.
The documents say that she had been
testing positive from 1988-2000.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
I think there was only one incident though...in 1992. I've talked about this in another thread already, but to sum up my view is that you have to take each case individually. Its more than likely she failed due to consuming a cold remedy containing a banned substance, as is reported. But more worrying is the suggested systematic refusal to go public with the test failures of US athletes during this period.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Greenout no offense to you but this is now the third friggen thread on this topic. Did you not see the first two?

It's like this in a friggen nutshell. Mary Jo took sudafed. She did not know a substance in the drug........that probably a lot of us posters take......had a substance deemed illegal for the Olympics.

However, when Mary Jo took the sudafed, the chemical was not banned yet.

Does this make Mary Jo a doper? If it does you better call Betty Ford cause I take Sudafed 24-hour everytime my allergies bother me.

But what is so stupid about this friggen subject (not you greenout) is that we are not talking about steroids. Sudafed did not friggen have anything to do with her winning Olympic medals.

So I say friggen enough already people.

Thank gosh I discovered the word friggen........

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Sudafed is pseudoephedrine. I think that it was banned in 1992, on the occasion that involved Mary Joe, but there was scope to give just a warning if it was in training rather than at the event itself, and some kind of flexibility to let people off if they could show it was inadvertent or whatever.

Or something like that.

Anyway, Jakeev is right. There are to many freakin threads on this whole fuggin subject.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
If Mary Joe had won the grand slam in 92 and it came out that she was on steriods all the time than I had cared(even more if she had kicked steffi's ass;))
but a medicine against a cold wich was not even on the list then? come on.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Green good thread -

If Fernandez took a banned substance (Sudafed = Ephedra, I don't care if it's used to treat colds or toothaches or acne or whatever) then she is responsible for the consequences. Why try to sugar-coat it and make excuses like a lot of people (notably the USTA and USOC) seem to want to do?

There are always a million people who will tell you, hey it's cool, let it slide. But if it wasn't a big deal then why cover it up for all these years?

I'm not saying Fernandez is a drug cheat, but she and the USTA are trying to act like the positive test was something she should be allowed to get away with scott-free which only makes it look more suspicious and like there might be something bigger behind it.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
vogus said:
Green good thread -

If Fernandez took a banned substance (Sudafed = Ephedra, I don't care if it's used to treat colds or toothaches or acne or whatever) then she is responsible for the consequences. Why try to sugar-coat it and make excuses like a lot of people (notably the USTA and USOC) seem to want to do?

There are always a million people who will tell you, hey it's cool, let it slide. But if it wasn't a big deal then why cover it up for all these years?

I'm not saying Fernandez is a drug cheat, but she and the USTA are trying to act like the positive test was something she should be allowed to get away with scott-free which only makes it look more suspicious and like there might be something bigger behind it.
Hey vogus what part of the drug Mary Jo took was not yet a banned substance that she took did you not understand?

See this is the problem, people are jumping to conclusions without thoughtfully or rationally READING was is really going on here.

This is not the friggen X-files people. There are no cover ups. What happened with Mary Jo is pretty damn cut and dry.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it might be a good time to bump this up since
some of our super American Olympians of the past games have
been found to have "juiced" for the Gold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts