Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow seasaw match here w/ Mary having a match point at 6-2, 5-4 (40-30) and then being down 1-5 in the third :eek: :eek: :eek:

before storming back to snatch the third set tiebreak ...

too bad for Jelena since she is one of my faves as well but I am so proud of Mary and hope she can leverage this win to the QF :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
63,616 Posts
Amazing comeback from Mary!! :worship:

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Great serving from Mary. Only a couple doubles but served 13 Aces :woohoo:

Jelena wasnt too shabby either, she served like 5 aces in that 12th game in the third :eek:

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Great match from both girls and what a come back from Mary .. I didn't give her a chance when she entered the third, even less chance when she was 5-2 down but she did it :eek: so :worship:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
pff jelena. she will drop so much by the end of the year. 30-35. shes playing like a 64 player :rolleyes:

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Holy cow! Way to go Mary!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Right on, Miss Mary!!

That was incredible. there were moments where I felt like I was seeing the Mary of old! Her serving was spectacular. how many other women can hit 12/13 aces in a single match? Maybe Linds, Serena and Venus and that is it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,023 Posts
What a fantastic match! Can't believe Jelena lost that final set but Mary was unbelievable! She looked down and out at 5-1 down and then just went for it!

At least it was Mary that knocked Jelly out!

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
I am SO pleased with this win for Mary!! After getting back with Sven Groeneveld just before Wimbledon , and after her success there, Mary said she needed six months to get physically back to her old winning shape, so think what she could be like again by Christmas!!

This win is particularly satisfying to me after eading the dismissive profile of Mary on jelena-dokic.com that someone else put a link to earlier on another thread. It mentions Mary's Roland Garros 2000 triumph then says 'As from then she was not able to win any other tournament' - that's it! No qualifying that comment with reference to the horrific and career-threatening injuries that Mary's suffered since then that would have surely forced a less resilient player into retirement!! It's often forgotten that Mary stood proudly at No.4 in the rankings when she was first injured in the summer of 2000 and started withdrawing from tournaments, and had spent 6 of the previous 7 years in the Top Ten. That's her rightful place for me, and this is a heartening win on the road back there.....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Poor Jelena :sad: As I saw her saving the first match point and eventually taking the second set, I thought this was going to be a turnaround match for her. I thought this match would give her her confidence back. But alas ...... and that after leading 5-1 in the third :sad: :sad: :sad:

But congrats Mary :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
:bounce: Great comeback for real!!!!!! Jelena needs to work on closing these matches down, persistance paid for Mary!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

·
25,876 Posts
So happy for Mary :bounce:

I didn't see it-so PLEASE make this "match of the day" USA!

The fight Jelena put up suggests she still has what it takes. Dokic fans shouldn't lose heart over this IMO. If she would only get off the tour for a few weeks and play a sane schedule I think she can regain her top ten form.

But this is Mary's day-you go girl! :)

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
I am so happy for Miss Meryl Steep. She never gave up. Way to go!!! :bounce: :bounce:
Infiniti, it does my heart good to see Mary referred to as Meryl (AOL boarders will know the reasoning behind the nickname, lol).

Mighty Meryl is back and swinging hard. Really nice serving. That is how she was playing early in the week at Acura, but then she was up in a tiebreak to beat Lisa Raymond and lost it...then lost the third like 6-1 (sound familiar?). I was totally bummed when she was down 5-1 today thinking it was a repeat performance, but she proved me wrong and fought back to victory. She is a thing of beauty when she is "on". Love it!

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Mary :D :eek: When, I changed over to watch it Mary was losing 5-1 & I thought it was over! What a comeback :worship:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Congrats MarY!!! You should've finished it at 6-2 5-4(40-30), but you won anyways!!:D

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Love the Comback Mary!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

God, it would be GREAT if Mary could win the US Open. :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts