Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything out of her mouth is so smart and witty. She would be a great coach with her mastery of the analogy.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I love when Mary is the commentator and am thrilled NBC hired her; she is miles ahead of Every and Austin.

My fave coverage was when HBO had the rights to Wimbledon. When Mary and Billie Jean got together and psycho-analyzed all the players and matches, I was in Heaven!! :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Mary Carillo said today that Justine serves over120mph.John Mac disputed that and said if and when she does,he will stand on his head.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I'm yet to see her do that!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jenglisbe said:
I love when Mary is the commentator and am thrilled NBC hired her; she is miles ahead of Every and Austin.

My fave coverage was when HBO had the rights to Wimbledon. When Mary and Billie Jean got together and psycho-analyzed all the players and matches, I was in Heaven!! :)
M.C. is a world calls journalist (if you read some of her articles).

tell me more about BJK and MC.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
When BJK and MC were together on HBO, they just really talked about the personalities, fears, etc. of the players. I remember a discussion they had about Anna Kournikova. They were saying she's a great athlete/jock who always looks good on court (from her appearance to her game), but they also said she never seemed willing to leave everything on the court. Instead of trying everything she could to win, they said she went for shots that looked good. They also said this could be a form of protection because if you don't give everything you have, then you can always use that as an excuse for a loss (whereas if you give everything and still lose, then it's harder to accept emotionally).

They had conversations like that a lot when covering matches :)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Mary is THE BEST! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jenglisbe said:
When BJK and MC were together on HBO, they just really talked about the personalities, fears, etc. of the players. I remember a discussion they had about Anna Kournikova. They were saying she's a great athlete/jock who always looks good on court (from her appearance to her game), but they also said she never seemed willing to leave everything on the court. Instead of trying everything she could to win, they said she went for shots that looked good. They also said this could be a form of protection because if you don't give everything you have, then you can always use that as an excuse for a loss (whereas if you give everything and still lose, then it's harder to accept emotionally).

They are/were right. Anna forgot how to fight.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
jenglisbe said:

LOL - I didn't see this before I posted similar comments about Kim in other thread......the protection comment

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
WtaTour - but do you think Kim's issues come from protecting herself against loss or from winning not being hugely important to her? Those are 2 completely different things...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
Actually what I was getting at is that I think she pretends it doesn't mean as much to her ...ie it is for fun, b/c she doesn't want the pressure or expectations put on her. I don't think you can really be a top 10 player b/c you think tennis is fun, there's got to be more incentive to it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
WtaTour - Ahh!! Interesting...could be! I'll think about it more.

As for Justine and the 120mph - maybe she does it in practice? I don't think she has ever done it in a match, but she probably doesn't go for serves that big in a match because she wants to get it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts