Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"The players aren't supporting the tour. (Amelie) Mauresmo has blown off the entire hardcourt season. Then there are injuries and phony injuries -- (Kim) Clijsters is out for two months...They don't think about growing the game; they think about growing their bank account. There's been a recession for years, but the players don't feel it. They're making more. You can't convince them that tennis is in trouble. They can't feel it; their agents can't feel it. They're living in an entirely different reality."
-- NBC and CBS tennis analyst Mary Carillo speaking to The New York Observer on women's tennis.

http://www.tennis-x.com/quotes

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Re: Mary Carillo: "Players only think about growing their bank account" "

what a moron... totally false.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
that **** said that when Ame had the shoulder strain right after Wimbledon

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
When did she say this?

It probably is the most important factor.

What I can say though is she has no issue with the American men missing part of the clay court season.

She's been around men so much she sounds like sexist attacking only the women.

·
Registered
52,365 Posts
"The players aren't supporting the tour. (Amelie) Mauresmo has blown off the entire hardcourt season. Then there are injuries and phony injuries -- (Kim) Clijsters is out for two months...They don't think about growing the game; they think about growing their bank account. There's been a recession for years, but the players don't feel it. They're making more. You can't convince them that tennis is in trouble. They can't feel it; their agents can't feel it. They're living in an entirely different reality."
-- NBC and CBS tennis analyst Mary Carillo speaking to The New York Observer on women's tennis.
Link please?
And when exactly did Carillo make this observation?

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When did she say this?

last year after wimbledon i infer, clijsters out for two months, amelie out for the hardcourt season... :shrug:
or could be very by the time of iw-miami, clijsters out for two months, amelie missing the iw-miami hardcourt season :scratch:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What I can say though is she has no issue with the American men missing part of the clay court season.
Good call, US analysts are so quick to jump on women's players for missing events, but never mention the fact that Andy Roddick barely plays Hamburg or Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Putting adie if she said, when she said it, and where she said, the basic point has some validity.

The players DON'T Support the tour the way they did in the seventies and eighties. But the financial realities are quite different.

When Carillo played, everybody pretty much had to play. The survival of the tour depended on it. And the players knew it.

Today's players treat the tour like any other professional sports entity.

Nobody accuses an NFL who gives maximum effort ON the field of 'not supporting' the league. Nobody says a baseball player who gives maximum effort ON the field of 'not supporting' the tour.

The league, the tour, they're supposed to take care of themselves, right?

Today's WTA tries to act like it's a big time sports entity. But they aren't one.

They DO need the players to make extra corporate appearances, show up at tournament they aren't playing in to gladhand sponsors, and especially, the stars have to do MORE in the way of appearances.

But it's a partnership. The players have to understand that they get something back for the extra time and effort. And I haven't really seen the WTA communicating what that might be.

Reactions: drake3781

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If that was the case then many players probably would have stopped playing a long time ago. I don't know what Mary's deal is. Someone who has only won about three or four singles matches in her entire career. Obviously she didn't make much money.

And that issue about the men missing the clay season was a good call. I personally think that most women are doing all they can. Some of them just struggle to stay healthy but play when they can. Obviously Mary feels that some women are faking injuries and fatigue. The desire is still there and Carillo is questioning the motives of the women's tour and that is a big call to make.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think she has a good point, but it doesnt mean its the same reason for everyone. though i think that people in the top of the game like justine or serena or martina or whoever, think about being the best first or winning that big title, then the money comes 2nd. i think players care more about pride. of course when your so good that your winning, getting to latter stages of tournaments, you dont think about the money. i think someone would want a slam, a part of history, rather than the money, but the top doesnt need money, the bottom does.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
When did she say this?

She's been around men so much she sounds like sexist attacking only the women.
Perhaps, PERHAPS, Ms. Carillo wasn't asked about the American men missing part of the clay season. Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
In my opinion, the men and women should pay extra special attention to how the tour is doing. But especially the women.

Right now, the pay checks are still out the wazooo, but with people losing their jobs and homes left and right and businesses (who sponsor tournaments) taking more bumps (especially here in the USA), one can't expect that not getting the best draw(ers) won't soon lead to disaster.

As for the American men supporting the tour -- really, who cares! Truthfully the most important players are currently not American. That's not to say that I don't love Andy Roddick and James Blake, but they're not as important as Federer and Nadal and probably Novak and Andy Murray at the moment (just my opinion).

Tennis isn't even on major television networks anymore in the US. Perhaps with Serena back, this will change if she continues to win big, but in general, its in trouble.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mary Carillo = jealous :tape:

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Perhaps, PERHAPS, Ms. Carillo wasn't asked about the American men missing part of the clay season. Just a thought. ;)
Not being asked a question has never stopped her before. Just a thought. ;)

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
What an interesting way to see tennis! :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts