Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn’t find another Mary thread on here. If there is one I can just add to that and delete this.

But I couldn’t help but be reminded of Mary’s gushing over Gabriela Sabatini with her recent gushes about Sabalenka. Has anyone noticed this? Remember when Gaby FINALLY started gettin a few wins over Steffi 1988-89? During the ‘89 USO semifinal Gaby started ripping her backhand down the line, giving Graf fits. Even I thought she had a chance given Raunchies recent startling win in the FO final a few months before. But Mary couldn’t quit singing Gaby praises in a very dramatic descriptive manner...”The naked aggression of Sabatini has startled Steffi”.
My lesbian friend thought it was more hilarious than I did, but it was very entertaining. Of course, Gaby COMPLETELY pooped out in the third set even tho Steffi was ‘injured’*. 6-2 blowout IIRC?

Now Miss Mary is love festing on Saby, not Gaby.
Baseline: Daily Mix?Carillo raves about "warrior princess" Sabalenka

*Steffi was so injured she strong armed on court CBS reporter Lesley Sumthin-or-Other ON CAMERA while racing off the court for treatment or for the toilet. Lesley had even stranger hair than Mary does now.
Has anyone noticed show strange Mary’s misshapen asymmetrical ‘do has become?
Almost stranger than those ultra disturbing Koch sisters commercials during Indian Wells breaks. Ugh.

·
25,282 Posts
Re: Marvelous Mary Carrillo

Great idea for a thread Mark:)

Like Mary I am big on "warrior princess" Sabalenka. She's all over the map mentally. But if she puts it all together Aryna will be scary good.

[email protected] some Maryisms.
"Big babe tennis", a Maryism, sounds so much better than ball-basher.
"She dies with her boots on" was Carillo's description of Graf not giving up and still blasting the ball in losing a match to Seles.

My favorite is her pun on Barbara Schett upsetting Venus Williams in 2000 at the French.

"Schett happens"

·
Registered
54,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Marvelous Mary Carrillo

Mary has always been my favorite commentator besides Virgie Wade. And Bud of course.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, it was fun to see all the golden oldies. Honestly I think for all the hell shes been through that Julie Hellman looks the best. And it’s most likely due to the fact that she got out of the sun at a relatively young age? She looks great. Has she done any video interviews since the books release?

And thanks rucolo for pointing out the extra ‘r’ error! You’d think after FORTY YEARS of seeing Mary’s name spelled out on countless broadcasts that I would know how to spell it! Haha.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I respect Mary immensely. She tries to have fun, she does her homework, and she uses a much more varied lexicon than most American journalists. She comes across as a really kind person who cares about others and isn't caught up in vanity.

It was a thrill for me to meet her at the 2001 US Open. She was doing a late night show for CBS, and I waited with a friend for the segments to wrap. I got to walk up to Mary, state that I was a fan, and ask if she had gotten my fan mail. She appeared disappointed that it hadn't made its way to her. She had a giant smile when I asked to be in a picture with her, but my friend didn't use the flash on the disposable camera I had- or maybe there was no flash with that particular camera. The photo didn't turn out well enough to keep! At least I got to meet a solid person and express my appreciation for her work.

·
25,282 Posts
Love your story Grafiati! It's heartwarming to hear stories like that.

Was Mary the person who first called Martina Hingis "Chucky"? In her early and cocky years Martina would smile at her victims like Chucky would.

For those who don't know Chucky...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chucky_(character)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How could I forget about that! BEST. NAME. EVERRRRRR! I loved the Chucky moniker. It made me laugh every time. Plus it was hilarious because Hingis wasn’t ever really smiling. She just naturally had that open mouthed look on her face. I wonder if Hingis ever commented on it. Except for the fact that Chucky was hideous, I bet Martina loved it. She really was Chucky that glorious (for her) year of 1997.

·
always getting what i want
17,835 Posts
Love her voice.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts